1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Vettori back in training

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by hswrestler, Jun 14, 2021.

1. hswrestler Orange Belt

As dumb and mediocre as he is, his toughness is something else.

2. Kos Fan Brown Belt

He didn’t take much damage, I’m sure it was like a hard sparring match for him.

3. rjmbrd Gold Belt

He took virtually no damage. Probably not much different then any day of hard sparring at Kings MMA.

Izzy dances away from the action (with his hands straight out in eye poke position) then resets. He's clearly a great athlete and very talented but that was a pretty mediocre performance.

Vettori is a really basic striker, repetitive and plodding. Israel should have been able to get more done. He never had him hurt, in any danger at any point.

4. KOPPE i used to wrestle in high school bro Yellow Card

sometimes heart is enough

5. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

You just simply don't stop the crazy just because you lost.

Destino2018, Herwald, Redfish and 3 others like this.
  6. Vegesus44 Black Belt

Perhaps if he tried harder in his title fight he wouldnt have to feel like he is lacking.

7. The Legendary Scarface Yellow Card

Vettori is the epitome of someone who needs to hear the phrase "work smart not hard".
    Dude is a workhorse with absolutely basic technique everywhere. He needs to switch it up and take some time to hone in on the details and intricacies of striking and grappling as well, it's not all about brute force and heart.

8. Vince Black Blue Belt

I mean if he is dumb what you are<45>??
    He clearly try too hard to be a character in my opinion but he is not dumb for sure...

9. HumanSadness Blue Belt

Exactly. Vettori needs to work on developing his mind and mental game. Going beast mode in the gym will only get him so far.

[​IMG]

Ken Fresno, Chromosome47 and DamianK1 like this.
  10. Tomas Black Belt

People really underrate Vettori's defense. That's what kept him from taking so much damage to the head in both of his fights with Adesanya.

He has a striking defense rate of 63%

For reference, Adesanya has 62%, Silva has 60%, Machida has 61%, McGregor has 54%, Poirier has 54%, Holloway has 60%, and Stephen Thompson has 58%.

Being in that 63% range puts him alongside Khabib (65%) and Jones (64%).

He's not easy to hit, especially consistently. That's why Adesanya mainly attacked the legs. Adesanya has also never really been boxing heavy unless he's counter punching. On the offense we've really only seen him let his hands go against Gastelum in the later rounds.

11. CatchThisFade White Belt

His face looks clean not like Izzy thought he f*** him up he said Marvin wasn't going to be able to walk because of the leg kicks lmao nope dude back training. Respect but Marvin needs a better game plan not Rafael cordero double jab plan and take down but he doesn't tell him what to do after the takedown

Paolo Delutis likes this.
  12. RdaSuperfan White Belt

if you listened to the announcers you would think he wouldn't be able to walk ever again from those "brutal leg kicks"

Yashabo, Boomb and Slaptastic like this.
  13. DestinedAussie Purple Belt

I think Izzy's plan of destroy the legs and KO the fighter who couldn't move failed when the leg kicks were less effective than normal.

rjmbrd likes this.
  14. muaytao Brown Belt

Yeah you had your chance 48hours ago and blew it

15. rjmbrd Gold Belt

Izzy was fairly risk averse and would dance away from the action, arms pointed straight out in Vettori's face, then reset.

If Izzy was willing to take some more risks, he could have gotten more done. He was out classing Vettori and doing it with complete impunity. Vettori was also predicable and plodding.

Vettori is a very solid fighter, he'll be a problem for most guys in the division. He's in a weird spot though where he's not nearly as good at wrestling as he needs to be to compliment his game.

16. NHBfilipino222 Punishment.

I remember when BJ Penn knocked out Caol Uno, then went straight into training for the Jens Pulver fight. He didn't rest his body and paid for it with awful conditioning in a 5 round fight against the seasoned vet. OVERMOTIVATED BJ.

VinceArch, Goldentrophy and pick999 like this.
  17. B ville Famous Brown Belt

Well he literally knows nothing else. The guy doesn’t even know how to put on pants.

18. Yep Brown Belt

Izzy’s significant strikes need to be changed to 0. I like when Izzy said I hit you too look at your face.
    <YeahOKJen>

19. omawho402 Brown Belt

I think he needs to improve his flexibility and speed more than anything. Also, position before submission!!

20. bunt A Goats eye is the GOAT eye

Throughout the fight Rogan & Co were like "Oh that leg is nasty, it's getting RED, and Vettori's having a real hard time with it"

<DontBelieve1>

I'm sat at home looking at one of the most pale guys on the roster and couldnt see a single mark on his leg