Verizon Purchases Yahoo for $4.8 Billion

im surprised yahoo was worth that much

they gonna add a Yahoo app that you cant remove to the thier phones now.

Fuck Verizon. They fucked me when they sold Fios to frontier. Now I have to use shitty ass TWC.

Didn't they just raise their rates again? Guess we know where that money is going towards, buying up Yahoo lol.

Didn't they just raise their rates again? Guess we know where that money is going towards, buying up Yahoo lol.

I am still on they UNLIMITED Plan but they are taking it any from anyone thay uses 100gb a month they said, but I only use 30, so I am good.

I'm surprised AOL was worth almost as much as Yahoo. People may not be using the Yahoo search engine too much but they use their email and check their home page for news. I don't know anyone who used AOL for anything other than old and/or throwaway email accounts.

Yahoo is very popular in some other country.

So turnaround big shot CEO flopped.

Yahoo is still worth $37.4 billion even AFTER this asset sale? Wtf, how??
Apparently it's only because Yahoo somehow owns 15% of another company that actually makes money.

I'm surprised AOL was worth almost as much as Yahoo. People may not be using the Yahoo search engine too much but they use their email and check their home page for news. I don't know anyone who used AOL for anything other than old and/or throwaway email accounts.

A lot of older people still use Yahoo. I do general computer support and a lot of the people I work with are older people who have been using AOL for decades.

As you mentioned, many people still use AOL for e-mail, but there are also people out there who are still using the AOL desktop software, which basically recreates the old AOL experience on today's computers. You pull it up like any other program, sign in, and then there you are . . . it's 1998 all over again, right down to the "You've Got Mail!" notification. In fact, I just heard that shit the other day when I was helping a lady whose shit wouldn't launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit saddened by this news just because Yahoo is one of the OGs. All the big search providers that I grew up with--Excite, Alta Vista, Lycos, Infoseek, and now Yahoo--are either gone completely or are mere shells of their former selves because Google just came in and crushed everyone. I guess to give Yahoo credit they've put up a much better fight over the years than pretty much everyone else.

The online world getting smaller, power more consolidated. How wonderful. Couldn't happen to a nicer corporation.

Verizon ass-fucked me for years with their greedy cellphone plan, glad to finally be out of that rape den.

The only thing good about them is their reception, everything else about them sucks evil shit from devils' asses.

im surprised yahoo was worth that much

me too. All that whining about going out of business and can't contend and then boom, 4 billions.

Dry your eyes Yahoo.

I'm a bit saddened by this news just because Yahoo is one of the OGs. All the big search providers that I grew up with--Excite, Alta Vista, Lycos, Infoseek, and now Yahoo--are either gone completely or are mere shells of their former selves because Google just came in and crushed everyone. I guess to give Yahoo credit they've put up a much better fight over the years than pretty much everyone else.

Webcrawler and Ask Jeeves too.

Excite looks like it's still stuck in 1998. Kind of cool though.

Lycos looks like something you'd get a virus on.

I used Yahoo as my homepage and email service for years - switched to Google and Gmail a few years back because I got tired of all the visual clutter of Yahoo's website. I liked Google's cleaner, more consolidated look.

I used Yahoo as my homepage and email service for years - switched to Google and Gmail a few years back because I got tired of all the visual clutter of Yahoo's website. I liked Google's cleaner, more consolidated look.

I like the filtering of incoming messages options with gmail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back