Verizon Purchases Yahoo for $4.8 Billion

Webcrawler and Ask Jeeves too.

Yeah, Webcrawler is old school for sure. AskJeeves as well, but I actually remember when AskJeeves launched so it was like a generation after the aforementioned.

Excite looks like it's still stuck in 1998. Kind of cool though.

I know Excite changed hands several times over the years. I actually can't believe it, or any of the other sites, are still up. I mean, who uses them? Who today says to himself, "I need to search some shit, I need to get to Excite"? But seriously, if no one was using them, they wouldn't still be functional.

BTW, here's an ACTUAL screenshot from 1998:

25-05_excite_98.jpg

Lycos looks like something you'd get a virus on.

LOL

I like the filtering of incoming messages options with gmail.

I need to toy around with that. I'm pretty active about unsubscribing from newsletters and using a throwaway email account for certain sites, cleaning out my inbox regularly, etc. But I still get certain emails that I'm not sure if I can stop, and/or if it's smart to stop. Case in point, emails from Ebay or Bank of America. I still want to get important messages about fraud alerts, package shipments, etc., but they also send me bullshit promotions and stuff. Is it possible to filter out just the spam?

The online world getting smaller, power more consolidated. How wonderful.

There's a simple way to fight back: When you see a company getting too large, don't use their shit.

Don't like how big Facebook is getting? Close out your Facebook account. Don't like how Google is becoming an oppressive overlord? Use an alternative search engine, e-mail provider, etc. Don't like assholes like Microsoft, Apple and Google ruling the OS world? Use Linux.

Most people seem unwilling to actually make this leap, though.

I'm a bit saddened by this news just because Yahoo is one of the OGs. All the big search providers that I grew up with--Excite, Alta Vista, Lycos, Infoseek, and now Yahoo--are either gone completely or are mere shells of their former selves because Google just came in and crushed everyone. I guess to give Yahoo credit they've put up a much better fight over the years than pretty much everyone else.
Askjeeves bitches!

"The UFC is neck and neck with yahoo" Dana F White

I need to toy around with that. I'm pretty active about unsubscribing from newsletters and using a throwaway email account for certain sites, cleaning out my inbox regularly, etc. But I still get certain emails that I'm not sure if I can stop, and/or if it's smart to stop. Case in point, emails from Ebay or Bank of America. I still want to get important messages about fraud alerts, package shipments, etc., but they also send me bullshit promotions and stuff. Is it possible to filter out just the spam?

you can mark senders as spam, yes. I don't delete anything other than spam. What I do is set a filter for all wanted messages and create a Label for each of them. Later on if I need to reference something I just look at the messages with that label. It's very convenient.

A lot of older people still use Yahoo. I do general computer support and a lot of the people I work with are older people who have been using AOL decades.

As you mentioned, many people still use AOL for e-mail, but there are also people out who are still using the AOL desktop software, which basically recreates the old AOL experience on today's computers. You pull it up like any other program, sign in, and then there you are . . . it's 1998 all over again, right down to the "You've Got Mail!" notification. In fact, I just heard that shit the other day when I was helping a lady whose shit wouldn't launch.

keanu-woah.jpg

I still use an aol account as my email. I have a gmail account as well

Yeah, Webcrawler is old school for sure. AskJeeves as well, but I actually remember when AskJeeves launched so it was like a generation after the aforementioned.

I know Excite changed hands several times over the years. I actually can't believe it, or any of the other sites, are still up. I mean, who uses them? Who today says to himself, "I need to search some shit, I need to get to Excite"? But seriously, if no one was using them, they wouldn't still be functional.

BTW, here's an ACTUAL screenshot from 1998:

25-05_excite_98.jpg

LOL

Hahaha you should start saying "Excite" instead of "Let me google that" and see how people react. That's hilarious though, the page is basically the same as it was in 98 except with the higher screen resolutions they can add a lot more stuff to the page these days.

My ex back in 2004 had an excite email and I remember thinking why the hell are you still using excite?

Hahaha you should start saying "Excite" instead of "Let me google that" and see how people react.

I am trying to get Google out of my life, just because that shit is everywhere and no company should be so dominant and frankly I just don't trust them. Back in the day you'd just say some shit like "run a search" or whatever instead of "Google it" and I've actively gone back to that verbiage.

It's like these days people literally have forgotten that there are other search engines out there. Personally, I try to use Duck Duck Go and only use Google as a back-up if I need it.

The idiots at Yahoo had a chance to buy Google for next to nothing but passed. Then they had a chance to buy Facebook for nothing and they passed.

What vision they have.

im surprised yahoo was worth that much
I didn't even know yahoo was still around really. The fact they are worth this much is hilarious to me. It's like Bingo or bebo or whatever the fuck it is.

myspace was sold for $35,000,000 in 2011,shit was worth $35 by then probably.

I go to yahoo for my kardashian news

I am trying to get Google out of my life, just because that shit is everywhere and no company should be so dominant and frankly I just don't trust them. Back in the day you'd just say some shit like "run a search" or whatever instead of "Google it" and I've actively gone back to that verbiage.

It's like these days people literally have forgotten that there are other search engines out there. Personally, I try to use Duck Duck Go and only use Google as a back-up if I need it.

I agree. Google is way too intrusive. Nothing feels even remotely anonymous anymore.

Back