Vegetable Smoothies

pctitans

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm trying to include more vegetables in my diet, Do you guys know of any good smoothie recipes to mask the flavour of blended vegetables? I know I should man up and just eat them but if I don't mind the flavour i'm sure I'll eat more and have a more blanced diet as a result. Thanks in advance.

buy a juicer, much easier that way.

Add in some strong tasting fruit, like OJ or Pinapple. It will help mask the flavor.

If anyone works for Jamba Juice, then I bet they could tell ya.

I just throw a handful of spinach into my non-PWO shakes. I use vanilla whey usually, but blue berries do a good job of masking the subtle spinach flavor.

buy a juicer, much easier that way.

I have a juicer, but I dont really want juice as that removes the fibre etc. doesnt it? I already use spinach in my shakes, I dont mind it to eat anyways, im more curious about things i don't normally eat such as tomatoes, peppers, etc. any suggestions or recipes would be much appreciated. And thanks for the ones already posted

I have a juicer, but I dont really want juice as that removes the fibre etc. doesnt it? I already use spinach in my shakes, I dont mind it to eat anyways, im more curious about things i don't normally eat such as tomatoes, peppers, etc. any suggestions or recipes would be much appreciated. And thanks for the ones already posted

you could try grillin the veggies and eatin as a side with steak or chicken or something. grilled up peppers and onions taste great on burgers imo. tomatoes and lettuce go good on just about any sandwitch. weird those are usually the veggies i have no problem eating. its more the spinach, carrots, etc i don't really like so much. everyone's different i guess though.

or you could grill up some veggies, peppers, brocolli, carrots, asparagus, etc and then throw in some chicken. Toss it over a bed of whole wheat rice and boom, a good tasting meal thats healhty.

also try eating,

Avocados
Beans
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
Eggplant
Greens -- collards, kale, turnip greens
Lima beans

If ur not into those you can always get fibre from bran cereal, whole grain breads, rice and pasta, almonds & prunes. I only suggested the juicer because you said you wanted to get in more veggies and didn't know how to cook them.

Juicing is good, but should not replace eating veggies.

I also throw some greens into my shakes and sometimes carrots...

I only get a half hour for lunch at work. Would blending spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower with some fruit or some whey be a good idea taste wise that is... I need to get in the veggies but I don't have time to chomp down raw spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Mixed berries + 1 orange + half a bunch of kale/collards/chard/dandelion greens or as much spinach as you want + enough water to get it all to liquify.

I honestly don't know how well this will work in a normal blender, I have a vitamix, and if I wanted to put sand in my smoothies, I'm pretty sure it would turn it into a liquid for consumption. What I do know is spinach is easily added to almost any protein shake without even tasting it.

I recommend adding either Diet V8 for what your trying to achieve or simply use tomato juice.

With what you listed as possible ingredients, your smoothie would work best not by trying to mask the flavor of the vegetables, but rather by enhancing the combined taste.

Think more Bloody Mary than Breakfast Berry.

you should drink tomato juice

Best fruit for smoothies... fresh or frozen?

Also on a side note say I pack in some fruit and veggies and then just for shits and giggles throw in spoonful of greens plus... will I start photosynthesizing?

I only use frozen fruit for smoothies... I don't know if that's a good Idea or not, but typically I'll buy a bag of oranges, some greens, a big bundle of banana's etc. come home, prepare it all (peel/dice/whatever), ziploc it and freeze it. that way I never have to add ice to my smoothies, I can add something more nutrient dense. This is, of course, in addition to frozen spinach and mixed berries and the like. I think it works out well, and my food is less prone to spoiling.

or you could grill up some veggies, peppers, brocolli, carrots, asparagus, etc and then throw in some chicken. Toss it over a bed of whole wheat rice and boom, a good tasting meal thats healhty.

Whole wheat rice, hmm. :icon_lol:

Soft squashes, zuccinni, yellow squash, summer squash, all blend really nicely in a good blender and if you add something sweet like a banana/pear/apple/peach/melon, it will disguise completely the taste of the squash while you still absorb its nutrients. Broccoli and beets can also work this way. I imagine Kale would too, but I haven't tried it.

I only use frozen fruit for smoothies... I don't know if that's a good Idea or not, but typically I'll buy a bag of oranges, some greens, a big bundle of banana's etc. come home, prepare it all (peel/dice/whatever), ziploc it and freeze it. that way I never have to add ice to my smoothies, I can add something more nutrient dense. This is, of course, in addition to frozen spinach and mixed berries and the like. I think it works out well, and my food is less prone to spoiling.

Wow, thanks! Really good idea! I stopped eating banana's because they're either WAY too ripe or pure brown. I'll definitely give this a try! Thanks again!

Be aware that frozen bananas will turn very very brown if frozen with the peel still on. I buy mine a little green, peel chop and freeze them. Works well for me, but it's not like I'm opposed to things that taste very banana-y. If you're not a "ripe banana" person, it still may not help you much. I've never stopped to compare the flavors to be honest.

Back