Movies V For Vendetta (2006) vs X-Men: First Class (2011)

Better film

• Total voters
True. This one was much closer; if it hadn't been for the Bar Scene, I probably would have voted for V.
But this,

"Blood and Honour...which do you want to shed first?"

"We were under orders!"

"Blood, then".

"AARRRGH!"

Was the deciding factor:cool:

Put V for Vendetta up against Captain Marvel, Black Widow or The Eternals, and I'll vote DC.

Never contested that. I liked FC too and thought both of these comic book films are rarely talked despite being well made

Again that are mismatched comparisons lol. I am talking about great film vs great film..

Last edited:
Never contested that. I liked FC too and thought both of these comic book films are rarely talked despite being well made

Again that are mismatched comparisons lol. I am talking about great film vs great film..

Provide an example, please.

Provide an example, please.

You picked Avengers and Endgame over Memento and Pan's Labyrinth... or Iron Man over Drive, while it's a matter of preference i just asked lol, i like Marvel films too as i told you.

You picked Avengers and Endgame over Memento and Pan's Labyrinth... or Iron Man over Drive, while it's a matter of preference i just asked lol, i like Marvel films too as i told you.
As he should, all three of those marvel movies are way better than the movies you listed

Well, yes. It all comes down to personal taste. Am I right in saying your Av is from Godfather II? No one in their right mind would argue that movie is not objectively superior to Avengers and Endgame. But while I love Godfather I & II, and admire the incredible skills on display, I'd rather watch Spider Man: No Way Home. Just because I enjoy it more.

That said, Godfather turns fifty this year. I'll be sure to watch it again:cool:

Well, yes. It all comes down to personal taste. Am I right in saying your Av is from Godfather II? No one in their right mind would argue that movie is not objectively superior to Avengers and Endgame. But while I love Godfather I & II, and admire the incredible skills on display, I'd rather watch Spider Man: No Way Home. Just because I enjoy it more.

That said, Godfather turns fifty this year. I'll be sure to watch it again:cool:

Yes and no; personal tastes are fine but if a film, which I may not like, is a masterpiece, it is not because others say so but because it objectively possesses a series of characteristics (technical, historical, innovative, artistic, etc) that make it so... , the only comic book films which can be argued are these two:

Just my two cents on it.

Go through the first three characteristics (technical, historical, innovative) that you said that can be made as objective as possible by a scrupulous historicization, and that you must certainly understand to fully understand the value of a work.

But if we get down to the humanistic grant me that it becomes much more difficult to establish what is true or objective (lol I shiver just thinking about it), i am not a fan of Lord Of The Rings film at all, and anyway Godfather 1 and 2 are top 30 films of all-time, No Way Home is just a good blockbuster film, not close to Raimi first two films either.

Avengers 1 is a great film and Endgame is good btw.

ba72d0033d678ac5377126e0701374436f0f16ea.gif

Lol

Yes and no; personal tastes are fine but if a film, which I may not like, is a masterpiece, it is not because others say so but because it objectively possesses a series of characteristics (technical, historical, innovative, artistic, etc) that make it so... , the only comic book films which can be argued are these two:

Just my two cents on it.

Go through the first three characteristics (technical, historical, innovative) that you said that can be made as objective as possible by a scrupulous historicization, and that you must certainly understand to fully understand the value of a work.

But if we get down to the humanistic grant me that it becomes much more difficult to establish what is true or objective (lol I shiver just thinking about it), i am not a fan of Lord Of The Rings film at all, and anyway Godfather 1 and 2 are top 30 films of all-time, No Way Home is just a good blockbuster film, not close to Raimi first two films either.

Avengers 1 is a great film and Endgame is good btw.

Yes, but my opinion is the only one that truly matters to me. By all objective measures, For Whom the Bell Tolls is high art. But I'd rather read The Punisher Max. And again, my opinion Uber Alles.

Yes, but my opinion is the only one that truly matters to me. By all objective measures, For Whom the Bell Tolls is high art. But I'd rather read The Punisher Max. And again, my opinion Uber Alles.

You can't compare literature to comics, even though top tier comics and graphic novels such as V For Vendetta, Sandman and Watchmen are considered a lot closer to art and masterpiece.

Anyway, each to their own. I rate both "objectively" and subjectively, like there's a big gap between a lot of things, that's all i was saying.

As he should, all three of those marvel movies are way better than the movies you listed

It's the other way around actually, from a filmmaking perspective it's not really close. Just a quick example;

The absence of music allowed him to tune in better to the noise of the chase and Gosling's concentration

Refn charges the emotional tension before the scene, with frequent close-ups on the protagonist and tight music. Then the moment the chase begins, the music is aborted. Alternatively he puts the camera in "outside", which he heels like a hypothetical third car in pursuit, with swaying and not precise movements; and then frequently returns to the characters in the car, thus restoring the human dimension of what happened. Finally he underlines the outcome with a slow motion

The use of editing and story structure in Memento and visual effects in Pan's Labyrinth speak for themselves.

Not sure i wanna elaborate, but for sure it's much more impressive than "whizz, bang, action" and same applies to DC films btw. Just arguing my point of view.

You can't compare literature to comics, even though top tier comics and graphic novels such as V For Vendetta, Sandman and Watchmen are considered a lot closer to art and masterpiece.

Anyway, each to their own. I rate both "objectively" and subjectively, like there's a big gap between a lot of things, that's all i was saying.

It's the other way around actually, from a filmmaking perspective it's not really close. Just a quick example;

The absence of music allowed him to tune in better to the noise of the chase and Gosling's concentration

Refn charges the emotional tension before the scene, with frequent close-ups on the protagonist and tight music. Then the moment the chase begins, the music is aborted. Alternatively he puts the camera in "outside", which he heels like a hypothetical third car in pursuit, with swaying and not precise movements; and then frequently returns to the characters in the car, thus restoring the human dimension of what happened. Finally he underlines the outcome with a slow motion

The use of editing and story structure in Memento and visual effects in Pan's Labyrinth speak for themselves.

Not sure i wanna elaborate, but for sure it's much more impressive than "whizz, bang, action" and same applies to DC films btw. Just arguing my point of view.

The last line is the one that matters: Just arguing my point of view. While I acknowledge subjective values, they are of lesser importance than my own subjective ones. Driver may be objectively superior to most comic book movies. But it doesn't interest me and therefor I will still rate for example Infinity War far above it.

The last line is the one that matters: Just arguing my point of view. While I acknowledge subjective values, they are of lesser importance than my own subjective ones. Driver may be objectively superior to most comic book movies. But it doesn't interest me and therefor I will still rate for example Infinity War far above it.

As far as I am concerned, I give the vote considering other films of the same genre, of the type of cinema that I have seen or in any case considering in a certain way only the filmography of that director.

There are genres that by conception are more entertainment-oriented, if I give an 8-9 (not a 10) to a superhero or genre film, it's clear that comparing it with a 10 for something like Se7en doesn't make much sense. Being said, each to their own, rating systems and preference are subjective and based on taste, experience and also knowledge so can't really argue on that.

I'm glad that you agreed that the listed films are better on a filmmaking perspective.

Back