Rumored USYK TO FIGHT IN THE UFC???

Some heavyweights have far better chins than others and have rarely if ever been rocked, let alone dropped or KO'd. Out of Fury, AJ, Wilder and Whyte, Whyte seems to have the worst punch resistance (which his two out-and-out KO defeats tends to confirm) and he doesn't have good powers of recovery or stamina either. Your punch resistance also tends to deteriorate over time, especially if you suffer brutal KO's as Whyte has twice now. Ngannou has had over 8 years training and competing in mma and 4 years before that boxing, he's 2 inches taller, has 5 inches more reach and is about 20-30 lbs heavier, so Whyte is at an enormous disadvantage in training and physicality before he even begins. Boxers do hit harder but they also have bigger gloves which do less damage and are better for defending yourself and there is also a 10 count to protect boxers if they get dropped, so Whyte's already suspect chin would be at greater risk and in having to defend against a variety of attacks, his boxing would also be less effective. Ngannou probably didn't have the technique to be a world-class boxer and his physicality gave him more success in mma. If boxers could make a successful transition to mma I suspect that we would see many do so as there would be a lot of money in it for them if they could just waltz in after a year or two of training and smoke the champ. Even if they lost they would get a good pay day but we don't see this happening.
I'm not saying Whyte has an iron chin but getting knocked out by AJ and Povetkin doesn't mean you have a bad chin. Ngannou wins in an MMA if they fight now. A few years of specific MMA training and then I'd pick Whyte because his hands will be so much better.

You say Boxers would go to MMA but why when there is no financial incentive for them to do that? Conor went to Boxing for by far his biggest pay day. Boxing is where the really big money is so why would we see a prime boxer jump ship to MMA for a lot less money they could earn boxing? The incentive just isn't there unless we get a true Warrior type who just wants to prove themselves in MMA. Whyte has already competed in MMA but now he's making big money he's gonna be less inclined to do it. Unless Dana (or someone else) throws some big numbers out there I don't think we are ever going to see a prime boxer do MMA unless as a I said you get some true warrior to do it just to test themselves.

Just take the current case of Jake Paul vs. Ben Askren. Askren is still near the top of his game in MMA but he is boxing (which he is awful at) to get his biggest pay day ever. In Boxing not MMA.

Everyone and their grandma would go straight for a take down including people who think guys like Francis are great boxers he will go for a td almost immediately or get embarrassed by usyk

No they're not, not by a long shot.

With some TDD, Usyk would crush most of the division.

kj8i92b.gif

Generally true for the HW division only.

I'm not saying Whyte has an iron chin but getting knocked out by AJ and Povetkin doesn't mean you have a bad chin. Ngannou wins in an MMA if they fight now. A few years of specific MMA training and then I'd pick Whyte because his hands will be so much better.

You say Boxers would go to MMA but why when there is no financial incentive for them to do that? Conor went to Boxing for by far his biggest pay day. Boxing is where the really big money is so why would we see a prime boxer jump ship to MMA for a lot less money they could earn boxing? The incentive just isn't there unless we get a true Warrior type who just wants to prove themselves in MMA. Whyte has already competed in MMA but now he's making big money he's gonna be less inclined to do it. Unless Dana (or someone else) throws some big numbers out there I don't think we are ever going to see a prime boxer do MMA unless as a I said you get some true warrior to do it just to test themselves.

Just take the current case of Jake Paul vs. Ben Askren. Askren is still near the top of his game in MMA but he is boxing (which he is awful at) to get his biggest pay day ever. In Boxing not MMA.

Askren is retired and lost his last 2 mma fights badly. He's had hip replacement and he's not yet 40. Lol at near the top of his game.

Dana wants to demonstrate that an elite heavyweight boxer will get smashed just to prove his point and say, "I told you so".

I believe so however i would definitely watch Usyk in the UFC. I think it's really intriguing for everyone.

We all want to see how an elite boxer would fare in MMA.

Doubt that. Maybe later but not right now.

He could do it. The journey man kickboxer trained MMA for 2-3 years and became a top 5 guy and there are many other examples.

But I hope he sticks to boxing cause I wanna see him vs Wilder, Fury, Joshua, efe etc

KJ Noons begs to differ
There are exceptions to every rule. Truth is both parties are pretty useless in the other sport. The problem is that guys like frank mir who suck at boxing can go over and survive against elite talents, but if a boxer eats one big leg kick or gets taken down, there’s no more surviving. Too many completely foreign tools.

Im sure there are guys in mma who could completely switch careers and devote their life to boxing and be serviceable. Probably a few

There are exceptions to every rule. Truth is both parties are pretty useless in the other sport. The problem is that guys like frank mir who suck at boxing can go over and survive against elite talents, but if a boxer eats one big leg kick or gets taken down, there’s no more surviving. Too many completely foreign tools.

Im sure there are guys in mma who could completely switch careers and devote their life to boxing and be serviceable. Probably a few

Steve Cunningham hadn't fought for 4 years and was carrying Mir. Every time Mir got close Cunningham acknowledge him and gave him props. Frank Mir did extremely well, but Cunningham could have ended that fight at multiple points. I've carried countless scrubs ins parring to help build confidence. That was the equivalent of that. Frank Mir had almost nothing on his punches, but he is a big guy.

If a boxer is gonna take MMA seriously they'll learn the trade and get better. It's that simple. Elite athletes are elite athletes. If Ben Askren at any point dedicated himself to boxing for more than a couple months he'd become pretty competent.

Back