• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Usyk’s even more accomplished than we thought

Joe Louis defended his belt like 25 times for 12 years straight?
Usyk has alot more to accomplish if we're gonna start talking "There nothing left to accomplish."
Usyk became amateur world champion for the first time in 2011, thats 13 years before he unified with Fury. There are also no world wars to thin out the talent pool these days.

The Eastern Europeans have a huge advantage in this area because they approach their amateur careers as though it was their full time profession pretty much. That’s why they’re already fighting for world titles 4-5 fights into their professional careers. A few young and talented American boxers should take a page from them and keep fighting amateur well into their twenties and focus on world championships and Olympic gold. It will make them much better professionals. The fact that an American man hasn’t won an Olympic gold medal in boxing in 20 yrs should be downright scandalous.
This is absolutely stupid to do if you're talented though. Both for the trainers/gym, and the fighter. If you're talented, go and get paid ASAP.

Usyk's pro career has been undeniably better than Loma's.

I agree though you can't erase or compare it to other era's greats or historical figures. But we have to at least give Usyk ATG HW post Lennox Lewis Tyson Evander era.
Seems like everyone is comfortable with him uprooting Vitali &Wlad.
No, we really fucking don't. If he gets KO'd twice in a row by Fury or loses convincingly all this Usyk blowing goes away. As it stands, Fury is the best HW of the era, even with a loss to Usyk. He's the one who dethroned Wlad, he's the man everyone had to get to. Not Usyk. It's so infuriating reading shit like this because I am a huge Usyk fan and people are losing their minds over this.

No, we really fucking don't. If he gets KO'd twice in a row by Fury or loses convincingly all this Usyk blowing goes away. As it stands, Fury is the best HW of the era, even with a loss to Usyk. He's the one who dethroned Wlad, he's the man everyone had to get to. Not Usyk. It's so infuriating reading shit like this because I am a huge Usyk fan and people are losing their minds over this.
Fury isn't the best heavyweight of this era. If he was then he'd be the undisputed champion right now. Wouldn't he? The only way this could change is if Fury rematches Usyk and beats him. Even then they'd still be 1-1. Fury would likely have to beat him twice in a trilogy and without any controversy.

If a boxer is the reigning Olympic champion then why would this matter?

The answer is because another amateur boxer may be the reigning World champion at the same time. To use Pernell Whitaker as an example, he lost to Angel Herrera at the ‘82 Worlds but then went on to win the ‘84 Olympics. Back then both events were contested every 4 years. Herrera's reign as World champ partially overlapped with Whitaker's Olympic reign. They didn't meet each other at the ‘84 Olympics because the soviets led a boycott that year (Herrera is Cuban). In other words, both men simultaneously had a legitimate claim to being the top dog in the lightweight division. Even if they had met at the Olympics that year, and Whitaker ended up beating Herrera, the latter would've retained his World title for at least a couple more years.

This is why, ideally, you'd want to win both. Think of it as a world title unification of sorts since they're the two most prestigious world championship titles in the amateurs. By collecting both you avoid any type of dispute, or conflict, since nobody else would even have a claim.
Usyk-world-medals.png

Last edited:
Is it just me or the vast majority of boxers today when asked what they want next will answer “I wanna rest”, “I wanna go home” or “I need some vacation”? Talk about boring.

Inoue is the only one who consistently goes “Bring me the next guy”. You gotta respect that.

This is one reason why I have him P4P number 1 along with having his 0, finishing everyone and being incredible to watch

Is it just me or the vast majority of boxers today when asked what they want next will answer “I wanna rest”, “I wanna go home” or “I need some vacation”? Talk about boring.

Inoue is the only one who consistently goes “Bring me the next guy”. You gotta respect that.
There's nothing wrong with that. Usyk trains abroad and always has to travel when he fights. He's away from his loved ones for 6-9 months at a time while his country is at war. Inoue doesn't train abroad and mostly fights at home. He doesn't miss important events in his life like the birth of his own children, subsequent birthdays, and/or anniversaries.

Usyk has missed out on all of the above hence his desire to return home and spend some much needed quality time with his family.

After doing a little research I just discovered something interesting. We've never had a fighter in men's boxing hold World & Olympic titles as an amateur and then go on to become undisputed as a professional. Usyk is the only guy to ever do it. The World Championships were inaugurated in 1974 so this achievement spans the last 50 years of boxing. That's a half-century. Some of the other greats, like Pernell Whitaker, came close but he had to settle for silver at the Worlds. Lomachenko was also very close recently. He would've done it had the Haney decision gone his way.

As an amateur World & Olympic champion, Fighter of the Year (2018), World Boxing Super Series tournament winner (Ali Trophy recipient), and a two-division undisputed champion in the pros, Usyk is one of the most decorated boxers of all-time. There's nothing left for him to win except perhaps Fighter of the Decade. He's reached the pinnacle of both versions of the sport despite turning pro so late.

The full list of undisputed champs is below. It covers the two, three & four-belt eras. I've already verified this but you can independently check their senior level amateur credentials. As you'd expect some of the other undisputed champs dating back to 1974 have won either an Olympic or World title as an amateur—but not both.

List of undisputed world boxing champions
Also was P4P Nr.1 at some point ( i think after he beat Joshua), and you could argue he is at the moment. Only other HW to ever be P4P Nr.1 was young Mike Tyson.

This is absolutely stupid to do if you're talented though. Both for the trainers/gym, and the fighter. If you're talented, go and get paid ASAP.
I didn’t say all young fighters should do this, but a few would certainly benefit from this approach. The Uber talented are only a handful.

It isn't stupid. Some countries are paying decent premials if you have medals in Games, World championships, Continental championships.
Ofc ams aren't paid if they are loosing bout etc unlike pros , where even journeymans with bad records are paid for bout.

Also if you are member of Olympic Team some countries are paying you monthly support payments, insurance, gym, sport doctor, massages, pool etc....
Ofc it depends from country.
Also high level decorated ams might get ad deals and sponsors....
While In ams no one will care about your record in ams. You might be local level am with 100-0-0 record but no one will care.

You need to get high level accomplishments OR at least to deliver nice stoppages in ams...

While I agree that for example the same Loma IMHO was dumb to sit so long in am ranks....

However promoters and managers in pro boxing loves former amateur stars...

Patterson, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, DLH were Olympic Gold medalists.....
Holyfield had medal in Pan Ams ( Continental level championships)...if I remember silver....so he was high level am...

The same Tyson despite wasn't high level am get attention because already in ams delivered watchable stoppages.
Povetkin was converted KBer who managed to get Olympic Gold medal.
Huck and Briedis were former high level am KBers ....with them then too was possible to sell tickets ...BTW most watchable their versions were when they were am KBers....

If Tyson Fury gets knocked out by Ngannou all your Fury blowing goes away, and that actually almost happened unlike whatever you're saying about Usyk losing.

If Usyk got dominated by Tyson Fury....he would still be an all time great. Usyk is half Tyson Fury's size, no one would care that much if Usyk lost to Fury.

Fury never even fought Joshua, the third best heavyweight of their era (or are you going to say something like Wilder >>> Joshua or something). Usyk beat him twice, including a comeback fight where Joshua was much better (because he's actually in his prime unlike Usyk/Fury).

Usyk's resume is not much worse than Fury's at heavyweight despite not fighting at HW for long.

If Tyson Fury gets knocked out by Ngannou all your Fury blowing goes away, and that actually almost happened unlike whatever you're saying about Usyk losing.

If Usyk got dominated by Tyson Fury....he would still be an all time great. Usyk is half Tyson Fury's size, no one would care that much if Usyk lost to Fury.

Fury never even fought Joshua, the third best heavyweight of their era (or are you going to say something like Wilder >>> Joshua or something). Usyk beat him twice, including a comeback fight where Joshua was much better (because he's actually in his prime unlike Usyk/Fury).

Usyk's resume is not much worse than Fury's at heavyweight despite not fighting at HW for long.
Well, he didnt and there isnt going to be a rematch

Fury isn't the best heavyweight of this era. If he was then he'd be the undisputed champion right now. Wouldn't he? The only way this could change is if Fury rematches Usyk and beats him. Even then they'd still be 1-1. Fury would likely have to beat him twice in a trilogy and without any controversy.
1 fight changes the last what, 9 years? Tyson Fury has 9 years at the top of the division. Usyk's been the top guy for a few days.

1 fight changes the last what, 9 years? Tyson Fury has 9 years at the top of the division. Usyk's been the top guy for a few days.
eh, Tyson Fury has been top of the division for 9 years, what kind of drugs are you on?

he won the titles in 2015, then didnt fight another ranked fighter until 2018, one which he drew against

he then fought a few stiffs and beat Wilder twice, and until he fought Usyk, his fights have been against bums, journeyman and first time fighters

top of the division, you absolute clown

eh, Tyson Fury has been top of the division for 9 years, what kind of drugs are you on?

he won the titles in 2015, then didnt fight another ranked fighter until 2018, one which he drew against

he then fought a few stiffs and beat Wilder twice, and until he fought Usyk, his fights have been against bums, journeyman and first time fighters

top of the division, you absolute clown

Loling @ "draw" against a guy he beat the fuck out of, got knocked down, and continued to beat his ass after he got knocked down

I'm not saying Fury only beat world beaters, he was #1. It's that simple. Wilder and Joshua arent great, everyone knew it was Fury and only Fury until Usyk came up. Stop wearing the red nose and big shoes bud.

Actually Usyk's arguably been the top dog at heavyweight since September 25th 2021. That's the date he beat Joshua to become a three-belt unified champion. The only unified champ of the division. Then he won the lineal & Ring Magazine title (the latter of which Fury had just vacated in order to go on another fake retirement).

One fight doesn't undo what Fury has accomplished but there is a saying in boxing. You're only as good as your last fight. Fury's last fight is a clear loss to a blown up cruiserweight.

Actually Usyk's arguably been the top dog at heavyweight since September 25th 2021. That's the date he beat Joshua to become a three-belt unified champion. The only unified champ of the division. Then he won the lineal & Ring Magazine title (the latter of which Fury had just vacated in order to go on another fake retirement).

One fight doesn't undo what Fury has accomplished but there is a saying in boxing. You're only as good as your last fight. Fury's last fight is a clear loss to a blown up cruiserweight.
and the fight before a close win against someone who had never boxed before

Fury fans do make me laugh

Back