Usman's Striking

Usman is stiff yes, because of his bad knees. That is exploitable but do fighters want to get into his space and trade with him though? because Usman will sit on his punches and he has the reach advantage. Colby tried, Burns tried, Mas who is faster and more technical on the feet than those two tried.

The reason Masvidal got KTFO is because his whole game plan revolved around countering Usman's wrestling and stopping takedowns.

If Masvidal and Usman entered into a strictly striking match it would have been closer, Masvidal would have the edge because of his experience but Usman has a huge reach advantage. But this is kinda a useless hypothetical as Usman's game features the threat of takedowns, which makes it extremely hard for opponents to defend (against being wrestlefucked and now from being KO'd by his punches at the same time).

The reason Masvidal got KTFO is because his whole game plan revolved around countering Usman's wrestling and stopping takedowns.

If Masvidal and Usman entered into a strictly striking match it would have been closer, Masvidal would have the edge because of his experience but Usman has a huge reach advantage. But this is kinda a useless hypothetical as Usman's game features the threat of takedowns, which makes it extremely hard for opponents to defend (against being wrestlefucked and now from being KO'd by his punches at the same time).
Straight up kickboxing Masvidal eats him up. The takedown fear is such a powerful thing.

I think if Usman were to fight Whittaker, Whittaker's style will exploit Usman's weakness. He'd have a hard time landing his right hand against Whittaker's quick straight jab and a kick. It's too bad he can't come down to WW anymore.
Usman can make MW more than Rob can make WW

I dont think so never saw him eat heavy uppercut he may have some of the same unorthodox khabib striking style beacause they both good wrestlers the advantage of it that i saw was the defence against "knockout" punches and be able to switch the striking to the clinch/wrestling/grappling effectively in the middle of the fight in my opinion

Yeah. He had trouble with weight at welterweight so I don't see him coming back down.
Whittaker has put on a lot of mass while at MW too. Would love to see him drop down and run that division too but so far him and Izzy are the best of MW. So no reason for him to try that either.

Defensively he still looks very open. He has improved quite a lot offensively though. I think he’s open to kicks as well but you’re obviously taking a risk by throwing them. I want to see him fight WB.

Yeah visually his striking looks pretty stiff and bad but he KO'd Burns and Masvidal so ya can't say anything since it's effective.

Usman can make MW more than Rob can make WW
I don’t think Usman would go up to middleweight to be honest. He even said he’d like to face Till and Whittaker at welterweight. He’d be a great fighter at middleweight too but I think even guys like Vettori or Hermansson would give him lots of trouble.

Yeah visually his striking looks pretty stiff and bad but he KO'd Burns and Masvidal so ya can't say anything since it's effective.
What? You are saying there are no flaws because he knocked out Masvidal and Burns? All that suggests is he has power in his hands and he has made improvements on landing that right hand.

What? You are saying there are no flaws because he knocked out Masvidal and Burns? All that suggests is he has power in his hands and he has made improvements on landing that right hand.

He always looks awkward early in fights and seems to prefer staying in position to being defensively responsible, but he did adapt after getting lit up early in the Burns fight.

The first shot that really hurt Burns was an excellent pull counter where he slipped Burns's jab.

MilkyLastingCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif

He's vulnerable, but his chin is excellent. The guy no sold a flush shin to the head and a clean knee from Burns.

WB is the only guy that I'd give a good chance to stop Usman at WW, and it'd have to be the perfect shot.

He always looks awkward early in fights and seems to prefer staying in position to being defensively responsible, but he did adapt after getting lit up early in the Burns fight.

The first shot that really hurt Burns was an excellent pull counter where he slipped Burns's jab.

He's vulnerable, but his chin is excellent. The guy no sold a flush shin to the head and a clean knee from Burns.

WB is the only guy that I'd give a good chance to stop Usman at WW, and it'd have to be the perfect shot.
Usman’s chin is very dependable. I wouldn’t be surprised if he can eat punches from Khamzat or middleweights.

Also, I think this is why Covington was able to last longer than Burns did. Covington would have followed up with more shots after that jab instead of trying to get out of the way. Obviously, easier said than done though. Volume striking is a good defence.

Usman has holes in his striking game, but:
-he has insane output;
-has very good power when he sits on his punches;
-has good chin and insane recovery;
-is willing to trade and recently throws with bad intentions;
-on top of all that he is always a takedown threat;
-he also improves greatly on fight to fight basis;

I mean if he doesn't get caught with EPO, I don't see who stops him in near future at WW.

Yes he's a bit stiff, but very solid straight punches. Turns over on them very well. Very good for a guy who was a straight wrestler

Masvidal is one of the best strikers at LW and WW so yeah. Power is enough if you want to go with that.

Back