• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Usman got caught making the technically sound move

Well analyzed but it would have been a lot for him to be considering live in the moment. But I can't say you're wrong.
Agreed. If he had to process all of that in the moment it is too late.

BUT... Trevor Whitman and their team would have been wise to cover all likely scenarios, including:

"If we are up on the cards in the 5th don't give the kickboxer room and time to kick you in the head."

"If Leon goes SOUTHPAW watch out for the kicks, he likes to kick from southpaw."

"Ok this is the 5th round and we are up on the cards probably 3-1 so watch out for him trying any desperation hail Mary attacks since KO is the only way he can win. Smother this dude, don't let him set up a big shot."

Shit like that.

And I say this from the comfort of my Monday/tueaday morning armchair perspective. Though I do believe it to be correct on a technical level.

No fighter ever fights a perfect fight for 25 minutes. MOST of the time they can get away with mistakes, this time he didn't.
Perfect storm.

lol. this kick has been performed many many times in the past in many promotions. wrestler gets overconfident thinks it's a low kick, then gets ktfo, technically that is.

So you say perfect move in boxing but mma stand up is kickboxing. Also it can never be a perfect move if you got knocked out.

Well I don't blame him everyone gets caught. They both fought a great fight.

But this is entirely my point. Everybody is saying there was a cross-JAB-headkick and Leon really caught Usman with the fake jab disguising his coming headkick. I'm saying there was no jab, that's just how his hand came out while throwing the kick.

So thanks for pointing out that Leon himself agrees when he said he threw and had drilled a cross-headkick, not cross-jab-headkick.

That settles it then. There was no jab per Leon himself.
But if I recall, he also said several times that he knew if he threw two from the same side he'd catch him. So I don't think the jab feint was accidental. Sure, it was a cross-kick combo but there was a jab feint in there that Leon seems to say he knew was the key to it landing.

Nah. These headkicks happen all the time in MMA and nobody sits here trying to pretend there were secret feints before the headkick except in this fight.

Usman's the idiot who decided with a minute left to stand flat footed and still right in front of Edwards instead of either staying out of range or inside it. You don't need to invent secret phantom moves that are what caused him to lose when there's that dumb mistake right there that's what even allowed Edwards to hit him at all with his kick.
markg171 thinks it's crazy that Leon might be drilling the kick that way because it looks like a punch. Also, markg171 doesn't think it's crazy to call a UFC champion with multiple title defenses an idiot. Hmmmm...makes sense.

in your world everyone who would duck a straight left gets head kicked into the shadowrealm. Very technically sound indeed. Dont become a coach pls.
Other than the fact that headkick stoppages are probably less than a single percent of all stoppages. People in this thread are way into throwing out the baby with the bathwater. By their logic, no one should ever throw leg kicks because Silva broke his leg.

You don't get knocked the fuck out making the technically sound move.
Yeah you do lol. Big ideas matter more than fine points usually in mma and to a lesser extent combat sports. No defense or technique is 100 percent effective.

But this is entirely my point. Everybody is saying there was a cross-JAB-headkick and Leon really caught Usman with the fake jab disguising his coming headkick. I'm saying there was no jab, that's just how his hand came out while throwing the kick.

So thanks for pointing out that Leon himself agrees when he said he threw and had drilled a cross-headkick, not cross-jab-headkick.

That settles it then. There was no jab per Leon himself.

your point is trash. You’re disputing that he shouldn’t have been caught by that and that everyone would see that coming/ Leon didn’t feint a punch .

Leon was in southpaw stance, he feinted a cross, and landed the head kick. Usman reacted with a slip and Leon set the trap perfectly

Yeah you do lol. Big ideas matter more than fine points usually in mma and to a lesser extent combat sports. No defense or technique is 100 percent effective.
No you don't. Usman got KTFO because he made a mistake. He wasn't technically sound in that moment at all. Usman even admitted that he fucked up.

And what you say is non-sense. Boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu, pretty much in any martial arts the details are what matter most at a high level.

I see a lot about this fight settles that Usman isn't the GOAT. He parried the left and moved his head to the outside. That's the right thing to do, the sound technical boxing move. Leon just caught him with a kick which is equally technically sound. In this game of chess, Usman made the correct move and Leon countered properly. IMO Usman wasn't sloppy, he just got kicked perfectly and got KO'd

Usman made the right move if this were boxing

This isn't boxing

People slipping hands like its boxing. Usman joined the likes of DC and Cruz in making that mistake against a kicker.

Yup,.remember Jones saying yeah he's got a tendency to duck right/left (can't remember which way) and he's there for the head kick

Back