Using the Whizzer.

salboski

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Are there any good instructionals (online) that show how to use the whizzer? I know what th whizzer is, I would just like to see it used from different positions. Thanks.

I doubt you'd find a video dedicated to the whizzer, but there might be a chance. It's definitely a foundation of wrestling, and correspondingly, BJJ.

If you didn't already know, it's basically a powerful overhook that you can use to control your opponents. You use it a lot standing (ie -- a single leg defense,) but it's also useful when, for example, someone tries to roll up from half guard bottom, etc. In BJJ, I use it a lot to keep someone from taking my back, but you'd be surprised how effectively you can control or move someone with a good whizzer.

I use the whizzer all the time.
Especially if I have had to much coffee.

:)

For takedown defense use a strong wizzer, while at the same time posting their head to the mat with your opposite hand. If you can the use your wizzer hand to grab onto your posting hand(thats still on their head). Essentially grabbing your own wrist with an underhook, and putting pressure on their head. Pull up on the wizzer and keep posting their head onto the mat and you can easily flip them over onto their back. classic wrestling

Everyone trains with at least one or two experienced wrestlers these days. Ask one of them at your gym for some pointers - you can get the broad strokes in 15 minutes.

One of the guys i train with has a wizzer that paralizing.

I would love to see some vids too.

there's an underhook dvd by rigan machado, that's about it

is it whizzer -- or wizzer - i have seen written both ways in wrestling books

For takedown defense use a strong wizzer, while at the same time posting their head to the mat with your opposite hand. If you can the use your wizzer hand to grab onto your posting hand(thats still on their head). Essentially grabbing your own wrist with an underhook, and putting pressure on their head. Pull up on the wizzer and keep posting their head onto the mat and you can easily flip them over onto their back. classic wrestling

yea i think its called a front quarter nelson

The whizzer rocks. Its one of those things I picked up from reading wrestling books/training with catch wrestlers that never really got taught at my BJJ school.

I use the whizzer to stop takedowns, to keep a guy from getting my back, to flatten guys back out when they try to get on their side from half guard (gotta be careful for the sweep, whizzer hard but let up on the pressure judiciously or they will roll you) but I also use the whizzer from butterfly guard to whizzer the arm, sit out to the side, then escape to my knees. The weight of my whizzer will force their head/shoulder lower to the mat.

When you whizzer from butterfly guard into a sprawling position like I'm talking about, you literally have to hang ALL your weight off that whizzering side while you move from butterfly to a quarter position. A weak whizzer is bullshit and can get you in trouble.

And like others said, the whizzer leads directly into the quarter nelson (which is just a bad ass wrestling move that I use all the time). Just the other day I quarter nelson'd this guy I was rolling with and rolled him back over to his back when he was trying to turtle up. I never wrestled, but once you figure out how to use a whizzer, it'll help your grappling game exponentially.

so what's the verdict - with or without the "h" i write lots of notes and this kind of pathetic shit is very important

This move is definitly a dominating move in wrestling or fighting. When someone gets a shot off(usually a single) you need to just trap they're arm, you know the whizzer. Now the fun part, the THROW! Step your leg (the one closest to you oppenent) behind his and plant the arm not holding the whizzer on his chest. Now for all you wrestlers pop those hips in and let em fly :D

Here's a short vid of some throws you can hit from an over hook

YouTube - Russian Wrestling P.3.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B44pSr0Gqt4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B44pSr0Gqt4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My catch teacher was a division 3 champ. He will get an opponent going one way with the wizzer and when the opponent naturally throws all he has in to stop going that direction he then rotates his hips and cow catches the whizzer arm.

A cowcatcher is like a power overhook.

Since his opponent has all the force going one way my teacher quickly attacks the opposite side where the opponet is off balance.

This is a basic wrestling move but damn it gets HUGE points for visual. The opponents fly and get power slammed to the mat.

so what's the verdict - with or without the "h" i write lots of notes and this kind of pathetic shit is very important

wizzer

waaaay underated and underused, an armbar set up with an overhook has no defense

gracias, have to change all my notes now

very cool video btw

from the overhook position u can hit fireman carry, lateral toss, hip tosses, and work for ankle piks

Back