Social US Women's National Team Just Want To Be Treated Fairly - The Men's Can't Even Qualify For World Cup

I disagree. Weightclasses are there to compare skill. It's known that a heavyweight would wreck a welterweight, so as long as they're roughly equal in ability.

Uh-huh. And a non down syndrome guy would wreck a down syndrome guy in a math quiz.

Uh-huh. And a non down syndrome guy would wreck a down syndrome guy in a math quiz.
Flawed comparison. A math quiz is a question of skill (intelligence) alone, whereas a 170er losing to heavyweight is solely due to the reason that a heavyweight is physically more strong.

It has literally nothing to do with any type of skill.

It'll always be much more of an accomplishment to become the lightweight champ than becoming the heavyweight champ - people being in awe about big guys doesn't change that.

Flawed comparison. A math quiz is a question of skill (intelligence) alone, whereas a 170er losing to heavyweight is solely due to the reason that a heavyweight is physically more strong.

It has literally nothing to do with any type of skill.

It'll always be much more of an accomplishment to become the lightweight champ than becoming the heavyweight champ - people being in awe about big guys doesn't change that.

Lol. Math isn't a skill?

OK. So Usain Bolt would demolish the fastest special Olympics athlete.

Lol. Math isn't a skill?

You misunderstood me, what i meant, was that a heavyweight beating a welterweight has nothing to do with skill.

Of course math is a skill, lol.

Again, you're comparing something which is based on a single skill (sprint speed) alone to something as multi-faceted as MMA.

It doesn't make sense.

Again, you're comparing something which is based on a single skill (sprint speed) alone to something as multi-faceted as MMA.

It doesn't make sense.

Take the best 135 lber ever and a one dimension guy like Roy Nelson and Nelson demolishes him.

Power is part of fighting. The 135 lbs guys might be fast and skilled, but they will never have that power.

So watching them fight is like watching WNBA. You're watching people who just can't compete at the top level.

Take the best 135 lber ever and a one dimension guy like Roy Nelson and Nelson demolishes him.
As mentioned, i am aware of that.
Power is part of fighting. The 135 lbs guys might be fast and skilled, but they will never have that power.
Of course they won't be as powerful. Doesn't diminish their ability though.
So watching them fight is like watching WNBA. You're watching people who just can't compete at the top level.
Difference is that that the best players in WNBA are not technically as skilled. There's more difference than just physicality.

In mma on the other hand, the skill of the lower weightclasses surpasses the one of the heavier weightclasses by quite a big margin.

That's because the men are competing against A-level international athletes. Women's soccer teams routinely lose to boys' high school teams.

While true (example: the German women's national team lost without having a real chance to the U16 side of a German Bundesliga Club as reigning world champions), this is also kind of irrelevant. The more important thing is: no one watches women's football. No one. Not even the women. Not even when given free tickets (unless it's the world cup). As long as people aren't truly interested, there will be no money to be distributed. It has nothing to do with discrimination.

The disparity in interest is much smaller e.g. in Tennis. Therefore, the pay gap is also much smaller.

In mma on the other hand, the skill of the lower weightclasses surpasses the one of the heavier weightclasses by quite a big margin.

That's not true for all. They're just faster and lighter. That's just a physical trait, much like being bigger and more powerful.

That's not true for all. They're just faster and lighter. That's just a physical trait, much like being bigger and more powerful.
Yes and no.

Lighter and less strong people can't rely as much on physicality in training, thus they're typically more technical.

But aside from that: lower weightclasses have a far bigger pool of talent. That's actually my main argument.

But aside from that: lower weightclasses have a far bigger pool of talent. That's actually my main argument.

Well, there are some factors to consider with that, I think. In HW, it's murderers row for everyone, in terms of threat level. Anyone can get knocked out by anyone. They have a smaller window to excel, and less room for error. You pretty much have to be the best of the best to get anywhere, and a couple of hard losses can derail a career. You could be the most technically proficient HW in the world, but if you get your block knocked off a few times, that could be all she wrote. I'd say the smaller talent pool has a lot do with it just being the nature of the division, of sharks eating sharks. Whereas in the lighter divisions, you're going to see more longevity for them because it's simply not as dangerous, and the talent pool will naturally swell, because they're not being eliminated from the pool as often as HW's are.

Well, there are some factors to consider with that, I think. In HW, it's murderers row for everyone, in terms of threat level. Anyone can get knocked out by anyone. They have a smaller window to excel, and less room for error. You pretty much have to be the best of the best to get anywhere, and a couple of hard losses can derail a career. You could be the most technically proficient HW in the world, but if you get your block knocked off a few times, that could be all she wrote. I'd say the smaller talent pool has a lot do with it just being the nature of the division, of sharks eating sharks. Whereas in the lighter divisions, you're going to see more longevity for them because it's simply not as dangerous, and the talent pool will naturally swell, because they're not being eliminated from the pool as often as HW's are.
This doesn't account for the vast majority of heavyweights being untechnical though.

Because there are definitely advantages to being technically sound and thus we'd see more really skilled heavyweights, even if we assume your reasoning.

There are just not a lot of big guys, especially with basketball and football "stealing" lots of potential 205 and 265 talent, not to mention the shitty pay for fighters.

Back