Economy US taxpayers spent $874,503 studying the sexual habits of quails on cocaine (NIH)

I will volunteer for the study of how many LA 10’s can you bang in one day while lounging on a tropical island. My hypothesis is 7 but I’m willing to take your money and test it
Careful. Some of those LA 10s may end up banging you.

Reminds me of paul r nelson's attack adds

5:00

RIP O&A, thank god there are so many YouTube clips. Anthony was a prickly guy, but what a hilarious fucker.

So another attempt by the right to call a study they dont understand and didnt read waste. Sounds about right.

The govt only has allocation for you to bang 6 Idaho 7s. Take it?
2074966747_d9babf00b0_o-1200x851.jpg

Idaho 5 is like a Kentucky 11.

So another attempt by the right to call a study they dont understand and didnt read waste. Sounds about right.

Why quails and not mice and rats, is what I'm trying to figure out. Studies translate better from our four legged vermin to human trials. I do wonder why quail was selected.

They got Japanese quail high and then made them horny to conclude that cocaine increases sexual conditioning and therefor will increase sexual activity if stimulated by cocaine. Not the most groudbreaking finding, but....
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25447336

They could have just called Jon Jones. He'd volunteer.

You are 100% right here, although I still wouldnt mind seeing a line by line breakdown for where almost a million dollars went in this.
It's not really a shocking amount. Probably some salary for the PI, a postdoc, a RA for a PhD student, lab fees for drug tests, animal housing fees, and I bet there is a shitload of red tape on the cocaine. If it is a two+ year project, the salaries will be most of it. At least we may learn something applicable to public health or future drug discoveries. Reviewers (other scientists) chose this project over others that probably sounded more dignified and reasonable, so there is probably something to it.

The NIH funds basic science- not things that has an immediate goal and utility. A shitload of good has come from these grants. If they find a receptor responsible for the increase in horniness, big pharma may be able to make a drug that will have these congressmen's wives wanting to fuck them for the first time in years.

Can't believe I spent $100 on the GoFundMe for this study when the US Gov had shit covered already

The NIH funds basic science- not things that has an immediate goal and utility. A shitload of good has come from these grants. If they find a receptor responsible for the increase in horniness, big pharma may be able to make a drug that will have these congressmen's wives wanting to fuck them for the first time in years.

Yeah, the NIH both funds (extramural) and carries out (intramural) research. It's the foremost biomedical research institute on the planet with 86 associated Nobel prizes and was most chiefly responsible for the towering scientific achievement that is Human Genome Project. It's an invaluable asset to the country's global leadership in STEM.

Why quails and not mice and rats, is what I'm trying to figure out. Studies translate better from our four legged vermin to human trials. I do wonder why quail was selected.

They got Japanese quail high and then made them horny to conclude that cocaine increases sexual conditioning and therefor will increase sexual activity if stimulated by cocaine. Not the most groudbreaking finding, but....
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25447336

They could have just called Jon Jones. He'd volunteer.

I dont know, ask them. a couple of the people who are listed as authors have a public email listed.

[email protected]
[email protected]

It's not really a shocking amount. Probably some salary for the PI, a postdoc, a RA for a PhD student, lab fees for drug tests, animal housing fees, and I bet there is a shitload of red tape on the cocaine. If it is a two+ year project, the salaries will be most of it. At least we may learn something applicable to public health or future drug discoveries. Reviewers (other scientists) chose this project over others that probably sounded more dignified and reasonable, so there is probably something to it.

I think it's an 8 year project.

Almost stepped on a pair a few weeks back, they didn't even flush then. They definitely weren't on the coke. Dogs ran them back to the side by side still alive without a fight.

i wish we had someone at his level. His career was destryed b spelling potato wrong. How far we have fallen.

This just reminds me that fake outrage isn't exactly new.

What an absurd thing for people to care about. Shows the power of media saturation.

What is the hypothesis being tested? It may be very interesting and important.

Very good science can be made to sound like rubbish when you just look at the experiment while bieng ignorant to what's actually being tested.

Back