Urijah Faber refutes Dana's claim that he said he'd fight Dillashaw

shonuf

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/1...ined-to-fight-t-j-dillashaw-open-to-francisco

UFC president Dana White is interested in the bout as well. First, he told reporters in Las Vegas last week that he considers former champ Renan Barao and Faber the top choices for Dillashaw's next title defense. he then reiterated on Wednesday's UFC Tonight that Faber and Dillashaw have said they'd be down to fight.

But, for now at least, the bout looks like it's going to remain a tease.

"My gut instinct is no, I wouldn't fight T.J.," Faber said.

On The MMA Hour, Faber said that not only would he be inclined to say no to such a fight, but that as of Monday, at least, no one at the UFC had proposed the fight to him.

"Dana came out and said that and he hadn't even spoken to me about it," Faber said. "Then I saw him afterwards and he never said anything about it."

Faber says he understands why White would float the idea in public. With what was expected to be a big-money fight between Dillashaw and former champion Dominick Cruz shelved due to Cruz's latest injury, and Raphael Assuncao shelved, Dillashaw vs. Faber would make the UFC a good chunk of change.

"My money stays the same regardless of who I fight, it makes the most money for [White]," Faber said. "I have no idea, we haven't had any discussions about it. .. This hasn't been talked about with me or the UFC brass. I don't have an answer at this point."

Faber makes the same money even if he's the champ? That doesn't make sense to me.

Not the first time Dana has done shit like that.

I remember at the post fight conference for a card, i think one both Koscheck and Fitch fought on(though i could be wrong) somebody asked Dana about matching them up, and Dana went on a big spiel about how they are professionals and they would absolutely fight eachother. They immediately asked Fitch and he said "No i wouldn't fight him".

Leave it to Dana.

Publicly floats the idea of the fight to put pressure on TJ and Faber. If the public clamors for the fight then he looks like the good guy...

Hopefully he creates some in-fighting between Alpha Male beyond the Ludwig divide. Faber needs to lose another title fight.

Faber makes the same money even if he's the champ? That doesn't make sense to me.

The guy already gets pay-per-view points and is paid way more than anyone else in the division. Chances are if he became champion, they wouldn't be able to give him much of a pay raise since he already makes like twice as much as the current/previous champion in terms of base pay alone

Dana trying to instigate some ISH. Just as long as he gets paid.

I don't believe you, Faber. That would mean Dana lied.

In previous interviews Faber definitely gave off the impression he may fight Dillashaw in certain scenarios.

but before saying they would absolutely fight Dana should have checked with Faber and TJ
so Dana isnt 100% wrong here

Wheres that video of Pat Barry in the Q+A Line where he completely destroys Dana White in front of the entire audience confronting him about all of the lies he was saying about him.
Any time I get bummed out I just throw that on and smile watching him visibly sweat while he squirms on stage.

I love Faber, but he just doesn't have the resume for another title shot. Dana's just trying to bully TJ and Faber into fighting each other. It's not impossible to see Faber in another title fight, but I'd say that at this point he should just be having fun fights.

Uncle Dana speaks for every fighter in the UFC, apparently. Who cares what they think, they're under contract, right??

What a guy

I just don't understand Dana. Though he is full of bs, I'm not actually sure if Dana thinks he's lying himself. Like George said "It's not a lie if you believe it."

He'll fight him. He's just making Dana work for it. It's a solid game plan to get more money.

Faber should have said, "No, I won't fight TJ, but I will fight Dana White!"

:D

My gut instinct is...

Seems like Faber is always giving out these half answers on the subject. It also seems like the TAM guys and Faber don't always get along.

I really wouldn't be shocked to see this fight happen.

Back