Urijah Faber Accused of Retiring After Turning Down Petr Yan Fight *update: Faber vs. Yan at UFC 245

Faber vs. Yan

• Total voters
The retirement thing obviously means something in terms of contracts etc. I haven't gathered what it was, but fighters, like GSP and Conor, have made a point to say that they are retired when they cant come to terms with the UFC on purse/fights.

He derailed Simon's hype train for a bit, so he should be fair game for the other contenders.

I get it though, all the Yan fight is gonna do for Faber is add a loss to his record.
Uriah was looking for a title shot...Are you people kidding me..?

LOL... Yan is trolling trying to fight Urijah, but I hope this fight happens and Faber be KTFO to his definite retirement. But, let's be honest, this is not even a fight.

Everything this says is this..when you clock in work is f'n hard...If you cant get a free pass from the boss then WORK IS F'N HARD...Uriah didnt get a free pass from the boss...FC sails along unimpeded....

LOL... Yan is trolling trying to fight Urijah, but I hope this fight happens and Faber be KTFO to his definite retirement. But, let's be honest, this is not even a fight.
Yan would F him up no doubt...

A number of upper-level UFC bantamweights are calling for a fight with Faber. “The California Kid” has been mostly dismissive of challenges levied by the likes of Petr Yan and Aljamain Sterling. “None of those guys, and this will put it in perspective for them so they can understand, have mentioned Song Yadong,” Faber argued.

“There is a reason those guys don’t want to mention Song Yadong’s name. They can make the same argument. Look, Petr Yan, take a look at Song Yadong. He’s got four fights, three knockouts, three $50,000 bonuses. I don’t see you calling out that guy. I don’t see you calling out [Cory] Sandhagen. It’s the same reason why I don’t want to fight you.”

Faber hopes to have a fight scheduled for the end of 2019, but won’t rush things.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/...-song-yadong-aljamain-sterling-mma-news-video

It appears that Urijah Faber has once again decided to hang up the gloves.

The UFC Hall of Famer ended his two-and-a-half-year retirement in July when he returned at UFC Sacramento and TKO’d Ricky Simon. Following the win, Urijah Faber wanted something big and called for a title shot against Henry Cejudo. However, that never came to fruition and he was offered a fight against a surging contender in Petr Yan.

But, according to Yan’s manager in Daniel Rubenstein, Urijah Faber has re-retired after turning down the fight.

“Petr’s already accepted a fight vs Faber, but Faber is apparently re-retired. If Frankie wants to fight in Vegas Dec 14, would be Petr’s honor to fight a legend like him."

He was then asked by Ariel Helwani when Urijah Faber decided to retire once again.

“Since he was offered a fight vs. Petr Yan,” the manager wrote.

Petr Yan is currently ranked fourth in the bantamweight division. The Russian is 13-1 as a pro including being 5-0 in the UFC. In his last fight at UFC 238, he beat Jimmie Rivera which showed he is a top contender at 135-pounds. He also holds wins over John Dodson and Teruto Ishihara.

Yan has been calling for a fight with Aljamain Sterling for the interim bantamweight title with Henry Cejudo sidelined.

Urijah Faber, meanwhile, has yet to comment if he has indeed re-retired from MMA. Ahead of his return, he wouldn’t say if this was going to be a one-fight return or will fight multiple times and stay active.

But, if Daniel Rubenstein is correct, it was a one-off fight for Urijah Faber. So ‘The California Kid’ will go back to coaching at Team Alpha Male and being a father.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...re-retired-after-turning-down-petr-yan-fight/

He was looking for one fight.... A title shot.

The only other fight i would imagine Faber would have taken.... Would have been a 145 fight with Conor...

He took a big chance with coming back.. he got a very solid win... With his profile.. he was only going to take one fight after that win... Title shot or nothing... and I don’t blame him.

Why is Petr Yan wasting his time trying to fight Urijah Faber? Thought he would want Aljo or Sandhagen
Aljo is out of action for a while due to surgery on his wrist. Couldn't speak for Sandhagen though. With Aljo out of the picture for a while though a win against any Top 10 Bantamweight might be enough for Yan to get a title shot. 'Course if Aljo's back before Triple C defends the 135 belt it would probably be Sterling vs Yan in a title eliminator anyways, so Yan's next fight might be meaningless.

Update
Urijah Faber is also scheduled to fight a top-ranked bantamweight. ‘The California Kid’ will be squaring off against No 4 ranked contender, Petr Yan. The 40-year has proved age is just a number after coming out of a two and a half break to defeat Ricky Simon. Prior to that, Faber defeated Brad Pickett by unanimous decision in 2016.

Good for him And lets be honest, its kind of embarrassing for Yan to want that fight in the first place. Might as well dig up Jens Pulver while your at it.

UFC really needs to stop matching aging legends with up and comers. Guys like Faber already paid their dues. They should be given fan friendly fights.

i totally agree. though they shouldn't be for title-shots for someone in faber's position, who hasn't done anything to earn one. unless we are now throwing away merit as a condition to receiving title-shots, it should go to someone else.

Update
Urijah Faber is also scheduled to fight a top-ranked bantamweight. ‘The California Kid’ will be squaring off against No 4 ranked contender, Petr Yan. The 40-year has proved age is just a number after coming out of a two and a half break to defeat Ricky Simon. Prior to that, Faber defeated Brad Pickett by unanimous decision in 2016.
Faber is going to be dominated.

Back