Uppercut variation

It is about fucking trajectory, not fist placement you idiot

lol so having my thumb pointing down to my ass is the same as almost pointing at yourself? would be the same punch? or is that not oldschool enough for you?

Last edited:
You're just plain wrong. Don't try to cover that up by getting into yet another flamewar with NLM. The way I teach the lead uppercut is with about the same path of the fist in the air as the jab. But my comment in here is about the impact point in the opening photo, keeping the fist vertical at the point of impact and landing with unsupported knuckles. There's a thread about the lead uppercut itself, the second Tile Exercise thread, and the fist tutorial thread that all show me physicially throwing the uppercut, not to mention various threads of my students doing the same.

You're just plain wrong. Don't try to cover that up by getting into yet another flamewar with NLM. The way I teach the lead uppercut is with about the same path of the fist in the air as the jab. But my comment in here is about the impact point in the opening photo, keeping the fist vertical at the point of impact and landing with unsupported knuckles. There's a thread about the lead uppercut itself, the second Tile Exercise thread, and the fist tutorial thread that all show me physicially throwing the uppercut, not to mention various threads of my students doing the same.

I think the OP just got a bad example photo, theres really no use in throwing this type of uppercut on the inside, as it wouldnt get the proper extension since its also kind of a jab...

I use it all the time. Usually, I rub my glove against my forehead so that it gets all sweaty and nice which allows it to slide through the opponents guard easier. Kind of a douchy move, but hey, it's a fight ;)

I don't put too much power behind it though, for the same reason that's been debated in this thread, but use it more as a surprise uppercut through a tight guard to open up for followups.

still no footage of a fighter doing it? that's what makes me skeptical......in theory, it seems logical that yes it looks like a quicker way to split someones gloves from up the middle. But still can't recall this punch ever being thrown in a fight.

pretty sure I've seen Golovkin use this type of uppercut. Check the Macklin fight.

hendersonKO.gif

I think the OP just got a bad example photo, theres really no use in throwing this type of uppercut on the inside, as it wouldnt get the proper extension since its also kind of a jab...

What...? The TS' photo shows exactly what he means, an uppercut with the fist held vertical. Don't try to blame him for the fact that you weren't keeping up with the discussion.

Back