Upper-body conditioning?

Saith

UFC poster boy
Reaction score
How important is upper body conditioning for grappling? I know that lower body, core, and back is more important, but if you have really easily tired chest and arms would that be detrimental to your performance?

The reason I ask is because I can do lower body conditioning work (sprints, running, skipping, etc.) and keep up with other students fairly well, but when it comes to the crazy upper body/chest conditioning portion of our warmups (things like hindu pushups, frog pushups, etc.) I usually can't do much more than 1/4 as much as the other students are doing. Is this much of a difference something I should work on, or will it even out over time?

How important is upper body conditioning for grappling? I know that lower body, core, and back is more important, but if you have really easily tired chest and arms would that be detrimental to your performance?

The reason I ask is because I can do lower body conditioning work (sprints, running, skipping, etc.) and keep up with other students fairly well, but when it comes to the crazy upper body/chest conditioning portion of our warmups (things like hindu pushups, frog pushups, etc.) I usually can't do much more than 1/4 as much as the other students are doing. Is this much of a difference something I should work on, or will it even out over time?

If your weak in something its generally a good idea to work it and that is often the things that will reap serious short term rewards!

Generarely for grappling pulling is more important than pushing, but for general athletisism you want to be strong all over so you still need to balance it out with pushing...

...so I guess the answer is yeah..

Thanks for the answer man. So what would be the best way to go about strengthening that area? Doing all kinds of pushup variations at random intervals during the day like with pullup training? Or would I be better off doing a single intense upper-body conditioning routine once-twice a week?

WRESTLING and GRAPPLING will give you strength endurance

Thanks for the answer man. So what would be the best way to go about strengthening that area? Doing all kinds of pushup variations at random intervals during the day like with pullup training? Or would I be better off doing a single intense upper-body conditioning routine once-twice a week?

Whatever works for you man! Look at the results and how it affect you in the gym.

Hmm, I'm reading that greasing the groove is the way to go, which makes sense given that people in the military are generally pretty good at cranking out pushups for volume cause they have to do them all the time. I'm not sure how my coworkers would feel about me randomly stopping to do pushups though. They already look at me askance for eating 3 meals while at work.

I"ll probably go for once in the morning, maybe once during my lunch break (try to find an isolated corner) and then after I get home/before jiu jitsu.

Back