Upgrading. Iphone or Android?

Bob Gray

Deadlights Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
THeres no real tech forum, so I figure this is the best spot to ask.

So, looking for any tech geeks to fill me in on what the best choice is. Ive had an iphone of various generation for the last years, and Im wondering what my benefits/pitfalls would be of switching over to an Android, which Ive never actually used. Seems like the battery life of the iphone becomes laughable after a couple years.

Im more interested in hearing from people that have had experiences using both, but would welcome all opinions, especially those with any tech knowledge. Cost is obviously a factor, but Im more interested in what aspects of Android tech I can specifically take advantage of, as well as what Id be losing from droppping the iphone.

@Madmick @PEB @Anyothergoddamntechgeekanyonecanthinkof

Last edited:
Battery life of android has same problems if not worse.

I have an iPhone and the woman has an android. Galaxy 9 iirc.

I hate trying to use that thing. I’ll look at something on hers and the os is just a pita to me. I’m sure if i had one I’d get used to it but damn, over the last few years of trying to do something on which ever one she has at the time always makes me want to chunk it into a lake.

I hate trying to use that thing. I’ll look at something on hers and the os is just a pita to me. I’m sure if i had one I’d get used to it but damn, over the last few years of trying to do something on which ever one she has at the time always makes me want to chunk it into a lake.

What are your problems with it? My understanding is that the UI and slick interface is one of the biggest strengths of the Iphone.

No, the top Androids have superior battery life, and it's usually cheaper to replace the battery: definitely cheaper if the Android in question has a removable battery. There are third party sites like Batteries and Bulbs that will replace iPhone batteries for a fee. The AppleCare+ $99 package (for two years) is arguably worth it for this alone, at $99. Officially, the battery must not be able to hold 80% of its charge, but since the debacle exposing that they were deliberately lowering CPU voltage on older phone to slow the batteries, the public got pissed off, without really understanding why they were doing that, and so they ended up running damage control:
Apple will replace old iPhone batteries, regardless of diagnostic test results

Almost none of the Android flagships has a removable battery, anymore, so I don't see that as a good reason to switch. Benefit is the OS if you like it. I can't stand not having an app drawer. That one thing alone renders iOS intolerable for me. I can't stand not being able to share just about anything, from any app, to any other app. I can't stand not being able to control how my operating system functions.

Pitfall is you become a second-class citizen in the software world. Everything is developed first for Apple, if it is developed for Android at all, and the Android versions are an afterthought. All of the major stuff, the really important stuff, the big apps that everyone uses, has equalized on both platforms, but people-- adults included-- don't tend to use their phones as tools, these days. They're toys. They're casual gaming machines and social networking entertainment systems. Most iPhone users I know tend to strongly value not feeling left out of every latest fad or networking luxury. Is what it is. I don't care about messaging emojis, but I seem to be the exception, not the rule. More concretely, an Android phone will also show its age earlier, and will have less resale value.

TBH, I don't think about this much anymore. Several years ago people were in a place they didn't know which they wanted to choose, and were pretty fluid. Now people have either been in one ecosystem or the other so long the decision has sort of already been made until a stronger market force comes along to push them off their current path. Android controls the future, but for now, in North America, people who have iPhones seem to be pretty happy with their iPhones, and they are in a cozy cradle where all of the companies bend to nurture them.

No, the top Androids have superior battery life, and it's usually cheaper to replace the battery: definitely cheaper if the Android in question has a removable battery. There are third party sites like Batteries and Bulbs that will replace iPhone batteries for a fee. The AppleCare+ $99 package (for two years) is arguably worth it for this alone, at $99. Officially, the battery must not be able to hold 80% of its charge, but since the debacle exposing that they were deliberately lowering CPU voltage on older phone to slow the batteries, the public got pissed off, without really understanding why they were doing that, and so they ended up running damage control:

Almost none of the Android flagships has a removable battery, anymore, so I don't see that as a good reason to switch. Benefit is the OS if you like it. I can't stand not having an app drawer. That one thing alone renders iOS intolerable for me. I can't stand not being able to share just about anything, from any app, to any other app. I can't stand not being able to control how my operating system functions.

Pitfall is you become a second-class citizen in the software world. Everything is developed first for Apple, if it is developed for Android at all, and the Android versions are an afterthought. All of the major stuff, the really important stuff, the big apps that everyone uses, has equalized on both platforms, but people-- adults included-- don't tend to use their phones as tools, these days. They're toys. They're casual gaming machines and social networking entertainment systems. Most iPhone users I know tend to strongly value not feeling left out of every latest fad or networking luxury. Is what it is. I don't care about messaging emojis, but I seem to be the exception, not the rule. More concretely, an Android phone will also show its age earlier, and will have less resale value.

TBH, I don't think about this much anymore. Several years ago people were in a place they didn't know which they wanted to choose, and were pretty fluid. Now people have either been in one ecosystem or the other so long the decision has sort of already been made until a stronger market force comes along to push them off their current path. Android controls the future, but for now, in North America, people who have iPhones seem to be pretty happy with their iPhones, and they are in a cozy cradle where all of the companies bend to nurture them.
Her battery life is much worse than mine, her phones batteries are always dead and she’s always lookin for a cord to charge it.

And they go bad quicker, to were the charges don’t last as long.

She’s had 4 different phones since we’ve been together all android os a couple galaxies and an lg something or other.

I don’t know about now, but a few years ago there were a lot of tech apps that were on android and not on iPhone at all

I almost bought an android specifically to interphace with some things at work instead of having to go get my laptop like wits interface etc that apple just couldn’t do at the time.

But now I just don’t care.

Funny fact, I don’t have ANY apps on my phone beside the preloaded maps etc, and I’m not missing them.

I can’t get into my iTunes to load apps, and apple keeps sending the reset code to my old phone that broke.

One of these days I’m gonna break down and waste the time with them to fix it, but at 6 months in I’m used to it now.

Call text or website, that’s all my phone does now.

I hate trying to zoom in on something on hers a lot of times it just won’t do it on websites or her apps like Pinterest etc. I’ll try to do it like it would on an iPhone and it just won’t.

Or we just don’t know how. Like i mentioned if i had one and took the time to learn it , I doubt Inwould hate it as much but I don’t.

I don’t want a phone i have to jack with constantly, I have enough things I have to Jack with all the time as it is.

What are your problems with it? My understanding is that the UI and slick interface is one of the biggest strengths of the Iphone.
No the iPhone I’m fine with, it’s her androids os that always activates me

Her battery life is much worse than mine, her phones batteries are always dead and she’s always lookin for a cord to charge it.

She’s had 4 different phones since we’ve been together all android os a couple galaxies and an lg something or other.
Generally, sure, okay.

It's impossible for me to comment on anecdote beyond pointing out that the majority of Android battery issues are caused by a mismanagement of phone settings, bloat, and ads. I can always testify to the superiority of my own Android battery life versus friends with iPhones, but my personal experience is invalid unless someone is running a root-level adblocker like Adaway, and otherwise managing how their phones behave, it's not apples-to-apples. So I'm not a very useful anecdote. There used to be a common Dalvick cache hiccup with firmware updates that destroyed Android battery life on a lot of phones, too. Finally, it also depends on how you use your phone. Different phones challenge their batteries in different way. So many potential issues.

Generally speaking iPhones will maintain their stock battery life much better over the life of a phone due to software management, but at stock, objectively, they are not supreme. The latest iPhones are the best performers they've ever had (especially for the smaller unit since they split models by size with the iPhone 6 generation):
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/benchmarks (at the bottom)
https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

Alternatively, if an Android phone has a removable battery, you can buy an aftermarket battery that is much larger. I did this most extremely with my old Galaxy S3 (the accessory market for that phone was unbelievable). I bought a battery with mAh 4x the default battery's size. It turned the phone into the weight of a brick, and I couldn't use any of the best protective cases that were designed for it, because I had to use the custom hard plastic back that could physically fit the massive battery, but I could use it like normal at max brightness and get a full 2 days on the phone before recharging on average. Once, for fun, as an experiment, I minimized my recreational usage of the phone, kept my screen at minimum brightness, and used every trick I knew to extend the life, like manually turning off every toggle I wasn't immediately using, Greenify'd background processes, and I got a full week of on-time before it died.
Best Android phones with a removable battery (December 2018)

Example for the LG V20 below. If you do something like this I strongly advise a tempered hard plastic screen protector since you don't have more adequate protection built in from a case like the Otterbox (that is, of course, unless you're spending a bundle on insurance plans in which case you don't care if your phone explodes). The custom back is better than the stock phone for protecting it, but there's not the shock absorption or element protection that comes with the best protective cases:
10,000 mAh battery (vs. 3200 mAh stock battery)

From (0.30" thickness)
lg-v20-black-03.jpg

To (0.82" thickness)
71MQg2y-XOL._SL1500_.jpg
I don’t know about now, but a few years ago there were a lot of tech apps that were on android and not on iPhone at all
The Android app market (and software optimization) is inferior to the iPhone app market. Rooters/hackers/developers/XDAers don't need threads like this to know the tech advantages Android brings, or what they need (and what is available) for what they want to do with either ecosystem.
I almost bought an android specifically to interphace with some things at work instead of having to go get my laptop like wits interface etc that apple just couldn’t do at the time.

Yeah, having to use iTunes sucks balls, and interfacing with a PC/laptop (or Mac, for that matter) on an iPhone sucks, but I just don't think this is a common interface anymore. People are doing all of this networking today wirelessly through cloud software management. It's barely recognizable from how things worked just five years ago.
I hate trying to zoom in on something on hers a lot of times it just won’t do it on websites or her apps like Pinterest etc. I’ll try to do it like it would on an iPhone and it just won’t.

Or we just don’t know how. Like i mentioned if i had one and took the time to learn it , I doubt Inwould hate it as much but I don’t.

I don’t want a phone i have to jack with constantly, I have enough things I have to Jack with all the time as it is.
These are the intangibles where Apple wins. They go out of their way to strengthen the user experience where it doesn't show up on a tech sheet.

Last edited:
I used to have a movi case for my 4 that held 4 full charges on that phone, when I traveled all the time it was nice to go a week without charging. It made it a serious brick though.

No such case exists for the 8 plus I have now, but it would have to be gigantic if it did.

It was a mil spec case, was basically indestructible loved it.

Have basic bumper cases and glass screen protectors now. They do the trick.

I've had both and at this point I'm fine with either one. I slightly prefer Android because sometimes you can find software for free that you have to pay for on Iphone. I rarely run into that issue though.

I disagree in terms of battery life. My pixel 2 is a stud. However, I phone's OS > Android's.

Funny fact, I don’t have ANY apps on my phone beside the preloaded maps etc, and I’m not missing them.

I can’t get into my iTunes to load apps, and apple keeps sending the reset code to my old phone that broke.

One of these days I’m gonna break down and waste the time with them to fix it, but at 6 months in I’m used to it now.

Call text or website, that’s all my phone does now.

Didn't you say you only text and call on your phone...of course your battery life is better. She probably doesn't close out her apps either which plays a huge part in battery life. I have a galaxy 8 and my phone rarely goes below 50% because I close shit out after I'm done with the app

Whats an app drawer?

My Galaxy S3 bricked after 2 years, while I just recently replaced my iPhone 5S that I've had for over 4 years (and it was still working okay although it was showing its age). Not much of a sample size to be fair, but Apple tends to have decent support (at least for tech) and their products should last a good while if you treat them well. Unless you are a total tech geek or have severe limitations in budget I don't see any reason to switch from Apple.

Didn't you say you only text and call on your phone...of course your battery life is better. She probably doesn't close out her apps either which plays a huge part in battery life. I have a galaxy 8 and my phone rarely goes below 50% because I close shit out after I'm done with the app
I use safari and the internet on it non stop

Fuck em both. Smart phones are a fucking scam. I paid $30 a month for my Samsung whatever the fuck it's called and just as my payments were done the phone conveniently stopped working. These God damn things are so expensive and they have to be replaced constantly. The latest phone I got was the Pixel 2XL about a year ago. I have so many damn problems with it. I fucking hate the thing. I had a couple of iPhones years ago but Apple basically requires you to sign your life over to them so fuck them too

android is my shit. i dont waste my shitphones 20s or whatever

I had my iPhone SE in an Otterbox case for over 2 yrs. The only problems are the scam artists calling me. I don't think I'm charging it more frequently than before. I immediately changed all sorts of settings that looked like it'd give away privacy or "phone home" or auto download shit 24/7.

Whats an app drawer?
An app drawer is the center button on an Android's home screen dock that easily lets you view all of your apps. You can sort them in any order you like by selecting a toggle from a drop-down menu: alphabetically, chronologically, most to least used, most recently to least recently used. Depending on your stock launcher, and Android let's you easily download other launchers, you can further customize or organize it. You can create different filters for every app you have: for example ALL, Productivity, Games, Social, Utility. These can then be sorted according to the above criteria. You can choose to hide an app from any menu, and you can choose for any app to show up in multiple menus.

I can't live without order. I'm OCD. My friends will hand me their iPhone, tell me to look at something, and if they aren't already on that screen, or if I'm a sausage fingers, accidentally exiting the app, and sending myself back to the home screen, I am met with this pig sty of apps strewn across their screens with no rhyme or reason. If you have 10 apps, that's fine, but what if you have 200? I ask them, "How in the hell do you find anything when you want to use it?" They always shrug, "I put it on the first page." So they have page after page of apps strewn across their home screens. It's an intolerable mess. I can't even neatly organize these screens. If I move apps around, changing their order, it automatically always keeps them in one long continuous single queue. I can't, for example, create as many screens as I want, and organize the apps on different screens: (1) first screen, the true "home" screen is most common apps (2) next screen is entertainment apps, (3) next few screens are games, etc. It won't let you have these screens partially filled. There are only as many screens as there are apps needed to house them. They are auto-created by iOS, and every page is fully filled until the final one on the right.

I don't want anything on my home screens that doesn't belong there. Everything else should be kept in the drawer. The home screen is for commonly used apps and widgets. The way Apple forces me to do it, here, not only do I not have a real app drawer, since these screens are effectively my jerry-rigged app drawer, but I can't even create intelligent filters with these screens. On Android, I can make as many screens as I want, fill them however I want, and set whichever one I want to be my true "home" screen which I like to make the centermost screen, not the one furthest to the left.

Apple's solution is the pull-down search from the home page. That's viable (I don't like it) if I know what I'm looking for, but what if I forgot the name of the app? What if this is a time sensitive feature? What if I'm drunk?

For example, sometimes I catch a song while I'm eating at a restaurant, or when a commercial is playing on the TV. I want to Shazam as quickly as possible. On Android you can customize a feature to a gesture-- or even shaking the phone. So all I have to do is shake the phone, and my flashlight comes on; or for it automatically to wake up, and initiate the Shazam search.

iPhone probably has an app that will do the flashlight thing, but you're always dependent on some app, which often cost money, and this takes control of a very limited feature set. On Android you can customize every ability the phone has (ex. shake to wake up just mentioned) and attach it to a particular app or task. On iPhone you better hope some developer out there did it, that it's free, and that it won't conflict with an app you previously downloaded by another developer who wrote his code to use the same feature. .

A more everyday, practical approach with Android is just to put the Shazam widget (a blue button) on your uncluttered home screen. You can make it any size you want. You can make it a big button in the center of the screen. You turn on the phone, you touch the button. It's Shazaming. On Apple, I have to wake up the phone, I have to pull down the search menu, type in Sh (because just "S" means I have to browse through contacts and every other app on my phone), open the app, launch the search...what a mess. If I put Shazam somewhere on my home screen, hopefully somewhere I don't forget, that works better, but I can only do this so many times.

It's just...I can't stand it. I can't stand iOS. It gives me cancer.

Last edited:
I switched to droid three years ago, i'll never go back to apple. It took a bit to get used to the different functionality but I find the Samsung Galaxies to be a better quality machine. I also find the Google play store has more to offer for apps than apple. I like having the freedom to customize my phone and how it functions, something that is very limited by apple comparatively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back