Upgrading. Iphone or Android?

Do either have a "kid mode" where when parents give the smartphone to young kid, the kid cannot accidentally screw up settings or do something crazy or costly?

Do either have a "kid mode" where when parents give the smartphone to young kid, the kid cannot accidentally screw up settings or do something crazy or costly?
Both ecosystems have "kid mode" or "guest mode". You can create new restricted user profiles on Android and customize permissions.

My iPhone SE a tiny bit over 2 yrs old twice this past week drained the battery so fucking fast and I didn't really use it for anything.

First I charged it a bit then had to run so stopped charging at around 40% and resumed charging when I got back. That time I was surprised the battery went down so far so fast. This most recent time it was full at 100% then next day according to the battery graph suddenly dropped a ton and activity was very minimal. It has been colder lately, but nowhere as cold as mainland USA.

I'm gonna try to let it get to 0% then charge and see what happens.

I'm wondering if some malware is trying to phone home.

Guess part of it depends on your ecosystem. I hated getting rid of my Windows phone a few months ago because it operated well with my Xbox, Surface Pro and laptop.

I only got rid of it because support got cut off for most of the apps (all four I used). Trying to make an Apple product compatible with these things would suck.

So I went with Pixel 2 XL right after the 3 came out so I could get it for 40 percent of the cost when they came out.

Which would be my best advice regardless of what you get, the tech on these phones does not change enough to warrant the newest and greatest. Once the new phone comes out, the previous version drops like a stone. They manage to keep jacking up the price on these Galaxies, Pixels, iPhones, etc because they know they can sell people on payment plans. I'd rather just buy the thing outright for half the cost.

My iPhone SE a tiny bit over 2 yrs old twice this past week drained the battery so fucking fast and I didn't really use it for anything.

First I charged it a bit then had to run so stopped charging at around 40% and resumed charging when I got back. That time I was surprised the battery went down so far so fast. This most recent time it was full at 100% then next day according to the battery graph suddenly dropped a ton and activity was very minimal. It has been colder lately, but nowhere as cold as mainland USA.

Eating through the battery in the cold is to protect the lithium battery. If you drain a lithium battery and expose it to under 30 degree temps, the battery starts to degrade. The battery gauge lies to you and the phone shuts down to protect itself.

I deal with this all the time. Shut off your phone, put it in a warm spot for awhile, and when you turn it back on you’ll have a bunch battery life left.

Last edited:

Three days after letting battery drain to zero and charging from zero and off, battery didn't suddenly drop like a rock all of a sudden yet, so that's a good sign at least.

I'm expert as fuck in the subject matter so here's the facts: (I use a Note 9)

-Top Tier Android phones have the superior display and better battery (4000mAH + SAMOLED + superior PPI)
-Cameras on the high end Android phones are just better
-Expandable memory and 3.5mm audio jack

-iOS has more app support and generally more polish to the UI experience
-iMessage and AirDrop is better than anything Android has to offer.
-Expensive as hell for lackluster hardware

At the end of the day, it's what you prefer and makes your daily tasks easier.
If you're a real techie, you gotta go Android. Customization, torrents, emulators, widgets, etc.
If you just want a smart phone and don't care for configuring, get an iPhone.

Last edited:
I just saw two articles yesterday saying ordinary apps like some airlines app routinely take screenshots of unmasked credit card numbers, etc. and some sort of input recording that sounded like something better than keystroke logging. Whoever has access to that stuff has access to account numbers, passwords, etc.

This stuff makes me feel like death penalty is necessary. When you buy food from the grocery store, they don't get to send someone to your house to have free roam and look over your shoulder and film you doing things in private and make copies of your private papers.

The fact I've never heard of any laws prohibiting this type of privacy intrusion makes me feel like lawmakers are ineffective.

I've used windows phones, iPhones and Android phones.

I liked the hardware of the windows phone I owned, think it was a Lumia a few years back.

Had the iPhone 8 for a spell and loved how snappy it was as well as how well it just worked. But I use my phone daily for music (my priority for a phone) and getting music on it was a chore.

My Pixel 2 is like the best of all worlds. I love the design, and getting stuff onto it as well as moving stuff from it is simple as drag and drop (or downloading straight from the web...shhhh), no iTunes or whatever required. I plug it in, it shows up as a drive. Simple.

Poweramp is also the best music player I've experienced on any phone.

If iPhone untethered itself from iTunes or any other special software I'd consider switching back. But the pixel has been good to me for a year and a half now.

I am in the same situation, about to upgrade and not sure what to do. I've been with LG for a while but the G5 really didn't do anything for me, modular hardware can be a serious pain, the thing would shut down sometimes if it got too humid. I'll probably just go to the kiosks and see who offers me the most data.

iPhone probably has an app that will do the flashlight thing,
they actually integrated it into the control panel. you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen and push the icon.

as for organizing apps you can make individual folders but i agree the lack of customization via widgets and etc is a weakness.

they actually integrated it into the control panel. you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen and push the icon.

as for organizing apps you can make individual folders but i agree the lack of customization via widgets and etc is a weakness.
I keep forgetting they integrated the flashlight & bluetooth there. Still slow compared to shake. I see they've also integrated shake to undo the last action. Not being able to customize gestures in your launcher is a real drag.

The folders behave just as the rest of the app queue does, so you can't separate them by home screens, and they don't have the filtering/sorting features of the app drawer. Can you even change their appearance yet without altering entire icons sets? I also recall that you couldn't resize them.

I keep forgetting they integrated the flashlight & bluetooth there. Still slow compared to shake. I see they've also integrated shake to undo the last action. Not being able to customize gestures in your launcher is a real drag.

The folders behave just as the rest of the app queue does, so you can't separate them by home screens, and they don't have the filtering/sorting features of the app drawer. Can you even change their appearance yet without altering entire icons sets? I also recall that you couldn't resize them.
The earlier versions of iOS had better folder management for apps, have no idea why they changed it.

Was way better back in the 3/4 days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back