Updated UFC WW Rankings: Woodley #2; Wonderboy #3

When lombard beats magny he should get that spot. I think he's the future champ.

And my dark horse is kg.

Nice to see a KO win over DHK and a split decision win over Gastelum, not to mention not fighting in a year is more worthy than a 6 fight win streak and KO'ing the former WW champion.

Why should Rory be lower? Hendricks is a top 5 Welterweight. If he wasn't, Wonderboy's victory wouldn't have everyone talking right now. Woodley's 2 win streak against DHK and Gastelum after getting embarrassed by Rory doesn't deserve that spot, i'll grant you that.
I'm just pissed putting Rory at the number one spot & not winning a fight since Oct 2014 seems ridiculous for a #1 guy. He needs to fight someone soon!
Woodley is 4 at best, so I guess I would have to put Carlos and Maia at 2,3 and Wonderboy at 5.

Woodley moves up even though he hasnt fought in over a year....ok

Well, to be fair. Woodley did not move up past anybody. Hendricks dropped 3 spots. Woodley's place didn't actually move up. Is that confusing some ppl ?

It does to the journalists who make up the rankings, hence why he is ranked that high

The official UFC rankings are an absolute joke. These are the same rankings that boost fighters ranking substantially before title fights despite having not fought since the previous rankings were released. Meanwhile Condit has one 2 fights in the past 4 years. Stylistically very tough fight for Robbie but I don't think he should be ahead of the rest of the contenders because he did so well in his absolutely gifted title shot.

The official UFC rankings are an absolute joke. These are the same rankings that boost fighters ranking substantially before title fights despite having not fought since the previous rankings were released. Meanwhile Condit has one 2 fights in the past 4 years. Stylistically very tough fight for Robbie but I don't think he should be ahead of the rest of the contenders because he did so well in his absolutely gifted title shot.
You said he was ranked too high I told you why. The end. Didn't ask for your life story

Woodley moves up even though he hasnt fought in over a year....ok

If Gus can get gifted a title shot after getting ko'd in his homeland, crying about it and never had a top 5 win in his career, is this really the worse the UFC has done?

Woodley lost to Gastelum imo.. it could have been a draw, wasn't an impressive win by any stretch.

Plus the injury win over Condit,

He doesn't deserve his spot up there..

He's a top welterweight no doubt, but not top 3 imo..

Woodley lost to Gastelum imo.. it could have been a draw, wasn't an impressive win by any stretch.

Plus the injury win over Condit,

He doesn't deserve his spot up there..

He's a top welterweight no doubt, but not top 3 imo..

To be fair he won the first round against Condit then injured him by smashing him with clean a low kick, which was meant to do Condit harm.

To be fair he won the first round against Condit then injured him by smashing him with clean a low kick, which was meant to do Condit harm.

Fair point,

I guess rankings are a funny thing,

Condit beat the champ in most people's eyes, Rankings only really consider official wins/losses as opposed to what actually occurred in a fight. I guess they have to work that way.

Hendricks hasn't really had a legit loss in recent times till Thompson, he was robbed twice in big fights to GSP and Lawler..

There are a lot of great matchups to make!

Going through the top contenders, here's how close I'd say each is to a TS.
Rory: At least two wins away unless the belt changes hands. Almost beat Lawler, but does have two loses to him.
Woodley: One win away. Hasn't fought in a year, and only top five when was Condit's injury.
Wonderboy: I'd say he's the closest. Longest active win streak and the best win out of everyone here with his performance against Hendrick.
Condit: Also close based on his fight against Lawler, but I'd argue that shot was a gift anyway. I'd like to see him get another solid win first.
Hendricks: At least 2-3 wins away.
Maia: 1-2 wins away. If he beats Brown, that'll be five straight, but no one in the top five. Also think UFC is least interested in him from a marketing perspective.

I'd make:
Lawler/Wonderboy
Rory/Condit 2
Woodley vs Maia/Brown winner
Hendrick vs Kim, Tarec, or Magny/Lombard winner.

the kick didn't really have much to do with the injury tho...in fact, the kick landed on the leg that wasn't injured. the injury occurred on the takedown; the kick just made him shift his weight to the injured leg which was ultimately too much pain for him to handle. watch the gif and see which leg is kicked and which leg he grabs afterwards:

cc-kick-1.gif

edit: here is where the real injury occurred:

cchurt.gif

forgot about Rick Story. That guy needs to come back.

the kick didn't really have much to do with the injury tho...in fact, the kick landed on the leg that wasn't injured. the injury occurred on the takedown; the kick just made him shift his weight to the injured leg which was ultimately too much pain for him to handle. watch the gif and see which leg is kicked and which leg he grabs afterwards:

cc-kick-1.gif

edit: here is where the real injury occurred:

cchurt.gif

I was aware that the kicked leg wasn't the injured one, but I thought that the force of the kick torquing Condit's body all the way around on the planted leg was what caused the injury. I had never noticed Condit wincing seemingly being injured during the takedown, glad you pointed that out.

Fair point,

I guess rankings are a funny thing,

Condit beat the champ in most people's eyes, Rankings only really consider official wins/losses as opposed to what actually occurred in a fight. I guess they have to work that way.

Hendricks hasn't really had a legit loss in recent times till Thompson, he was robbed twice in big fights to GSP and Lawler..

There is always the question of if the rankings are on who think the best fighters are, or if they're based purely on accomplishments. Usually they're based on accomplishments and official results more than anything. For the record I thought Condit beat Lawler.

Woodley gets ranked above Wonderboy and Hendricks because HENDRICKS COULDN'T MAKE WEIGHT. He's essentially the #1 contender for NOT ACTUALLY FIGHTING. Love T-Wood but this is some fucking bullshit

Agreed and both Rory and Woodley should be lower, along with Hendrix who belongs outside top 5.
Non sense about Rory being lower he smashed Woodly,Maia,Teric in 3 of his last 4 and gave Robbie all he could handle, He is legit 2 or 3 at WW.

Tough to do good rankings right now. The picture simply isn't clear. Condit beat Rory who beat Woodley who beat Condit.. Woodley's the only one not coming off a loss but he's been off for a year. Thompson is hot with a big win looking amazing but he lost to Brown pretty recently...

Subjectivity is what you might call a necessary evil in rankings. Sometimes you need less of it, but sometimes there simply is no way to objectively rank these guys. This scenario perfectly illustrates that

Back