Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marcin Tybura is the only one that comes to mind. I could make a case for Sergei Kharitonov if he would fight top 50 competition more consistently.

Sergei, Tybura and Rama would be the only ones.

Looks like out of the top 25

UFC has 18
Bellator has 3 Kongo, Minakov, Volkov
WSOF has 1 Rama
M 1 has 3 Sergei, Tybura, Grabowski

Daniel James moves to 4-1 with a win last weekend.

WEIRD ONE here, Paul...remember Lance Friedenstein?

After 6YEARS away from the sport, he retrned last weekend too and lost via stoppage against a 6-4 LHW, Ashley Gooch....he's still only 30 though and obviously rusty, 5-2 now.

Gooch has been on a roll, though I still can't help but laugh every time is read his name. He's also been fighting a lot in the 250-260 region lately, so I don't know if he'll be going back to 205 anytime soon.

Daniel James moves to 4-1 with a win last weekend.

WEIRD ONE here, Paul...remember Lance Friedenstein?

After 6YEARS away from the sport, he returned last weekend too and lost via stoppage against a 6-4 LHW, Ashley Gooch....he's still only 30 though and obviously rusty, 5-2 now.

Definitely weird. Tough loss to eat though for Lance.

I'd like to see Daniel James avenge one of his amateur losses next, a fight against Wes Anderson would be good. Then a step up against Lorenzo Hood if he beats Anderson.

in your opinion is there a top 20 HW out there right now NOT in Bellator or the UFC. not talking potential. I'm talking just straight up top 20

My personal opinion is that Tybura is the only current top 20 outside the UFC and Bellator.

Sergei and Rama are floating in the top 25-30, maybe Grabowski and Goltsov too.

My personal opinion is that Tybura is the only current top 20 outside the UFC and Bellator.

FM rankings have

Tybura 13th
Grabowski 18th
Sergei 19th
Rama 24th
Goltsov 28th

What about Smoldarev? He looked good against Tybura untill decided to go for a leglock or whatever that was.

What about Smoldarev? He looked good against Tybura untill decided to go for a leglock or whatever that was.

He's got the potential, just not the resume really. Having him fight Grabowski next if he beats Perak makes a ton of sense for his stock actually.

FM rankings have

Tybura 13th
Grabowski 18th
Sergei 19th
Rama 24th
Goltsov 28th

Fight Matrix is ok - I certainly look at them, particularly for their depth. But their formula overrates guys with awesome records against so-so competition.

Sergei's the only one in my top 20 (and it's getting hard to keep him there, without much worthy competition for him to face, either).

Fight Matrix is ok - I certainly look at them, particularly for their depth. But their formula overrates guys with awesome records against so-so competition.

Sergei's the only one in my top 20 (and it's getting hard to keep him there, without much worthy competition for him to face, either).

Agree, I dont like using their rankings but they are the only ones who go past 10-15, really every other ranking lists 10.

Bloodyelbow used to do 25 but they dont do those rankings anymore.

Agree, I dont like using their rankings but they are the only ones who go past 10-15, really every other ranking lists 10.

Bloodyelbow used to do 25 but they dont do those rankings anymore.

Yeah, they were the best (outside of my own, of course...).

Fight Magazine still goes way past 10, but they're so ridiculous, I quit looking.

RankingMMA is all over the place - sometimes they go to 10, sometimes 40, sometimes 15, sometimes 25. When I first discovered them, they were great. Since then, it's slipped a bit. And quality also fluctuates a bit, based on how deep they go. Still not bad, though.

Two Heavyweight fights added to Island Fights 33 on March 28th.

Dakota Merritt (1-0) vs. Marino Eatman (1-0)
Jonathan Ivey (31-53) vs. Wes Sims (24-14-1)

Hopefully they have Clecker fight someone with a pulse on this card. Merritt vs Eatman is a good fight though, I'm actually surprised they are giving Merritt a guy with a wrestling background this early in his career. Eatman's ground game could be the deciding factor in that fight.

All profiles and statistics have been updated. Preparing for Thread Three soon! I will be doing some changes and additions for the new thread once this one closes at the 1000 reply limit.

Ooo - Wes Sims!

To me, Wes is like the MMA equivalent of a Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie - entertaining, even if it's often for the wrong reasons.

How has this guy not transitioned into pro wrestling yet?

All profiles and statistics have been updated. Preparing for Thread Three soon! I will be doing some changes and additions for the new thread once this one closes at the 1000 reply limit.

Can't wait mate, love your HW threads.

Looking at their roster, I'm going to say Scott Hough or Wes Anderson. Unless they bring someone new in.

Spot on as usual, Paul. Curtis Blaydes vs. Scott Hough at XFO 55.

Spot on as usual, Paul. Curtis Blaydes vs. Scott Hough at XFO 55.

Good fight, perfect to keep Curtis busy until the Allen Crowder fight, which will be a bit more of a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back