unorthodox no gi guard breaks

some speculation; i was thinking the other day about why people bothered with the cobra clutch when the naked coke just seems simpler. then i thought about what actually happens usually when someone attempts an rnc in competition; queue five or so minutes of playing handsies while the guy defends with his free arms, and not uncommonly fail to actually finish it. in contrast, by capturing the arm in the hold to begin with it makes it that much harder for the other man to defend.

i think this concept can be applied to alot of attacks in top position. the obvious application being the reversal of the above in the giftwrap choke, but i think something as simple as getting a two on one grip and pushing his hand behind his other ear with your blade across the neck can be a perfect set up for something like a stacking tozi. like the hammerlock trap capturing the arm reduces his options for defense, sweep or sub.

also, didint holt say he was gona make a video on how he did his own tozi variation at one time?

[YT]XzCcw9J4aLc[/YT]

I really like this one. He learned it from Pedro Sauer.

also, didint holt say he was gona make a video on how he did his own tozi variation at one time?

ha yea I have just been re reading that huge ass tozi pass thread I made...6 months on I still suck with it...still waiting on that holt vid!

[YT]XzCcw9J4aLc[/YT]

I really like this one. He learned it from Pedro Sauer.

nice I will give this a try, I like the look of this one... I could maybe do it with one hand blocking the hip instead of the gi grips

It's my goal this year to make closed guard completely ineffective on me, the second someone wraps a closed guard on me I am going to make an effort to get out I don't care if its my black belt coach or a someone my level I'm gonna immediately make an effort to get out...as marcelo garcia says "you have nothing to do here"

Behold, the master at work.

[YT]YvI1ovnwKTc[/YT]

[YT]bar55_SWkaE[/YT]

Transition there that made me go 'woah', you'll know when you see it.

[YT]YvI1ovnwKTc[/YT]

[YT]bar55_SWkaE[/YT]

I cannot for the life of me get to this to work on anyone above purple...such a sick pass though

Intellectually I knew you could possibly get a cradle off of it, but I don't think I've ever seen it done till now. I think that's a key detail, after getting sick balance that is.

does anyone have marcelos tripod guard break video? cant find it online...

[YT]YvI1ovnwKTc[/YT]

[YT]bar55_SWkaE[/YT]

I'm on EstimaInAction, and I've seen it on there labeled as the "Sao Paulo Stack Pass."

There are currently no instructionals on it, either as offense or defense, but if anyone is a member, you can watch 8 InAction clips of the pass at the following link.

http://www.estimainaction.com/Searc...te=True&Level_Advanced=True&q=sao+paulo+stack

HHoC2Pf.gif

this?

That's the one.

I've noticed the same. I don't know if I've ever finished a successful Tozi pass on anyone, haha. I mean I've never really practiced it, but still.

The standing Marcelo Garcia closed guard break is probably my #1 closed guard break. For anyone that does this regularly, sometimes you do get knocked onto your butt, right? I always just try to be ready for it and come to base before them, ready to pass their open guard. That's the idea, right?

The thing about the tozzi pass is that you need really good base and pressure to pull it off. The whole Tozzi/Godoi/Barbosa (who also does this pass) are judo guys with amazing base. I think it would be great for wrestlers in no gi imho. Very hard to counter against a person who does it well if you are not flexible.

has anyone seen the super weird one from eric paulsons dvd...basically from guard, you jump you and try to heel kick your self in the ass... when you do that you catch your feet around the dudes guard then push down on there knees...super low percentage, but unorthodox none the less

I wouldnt call the Can Opener unorthodox. It is practical and very common (just not in jiu jitsu).

heres another example of braulio doing the pass.

starts at 1:50

Back