unorthodox no gi guard breaks

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by snakeybizz, Jan 11, 2015.

1. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

unorthodox technqiues usually get hate on this forum, but I love them purely out of fear of having them done to me...ever since I got cranked after 2 years of training by some 1 week white belt I have feared the unknown...so a quick disclaimer to avoid hate; I like to keep my style to the basics and rep the shit out them but I also like to be aware of the unorthodox stuff out there with that in mind what are your most unorthodox guard breaks in no gi you have seen work...not necessarily at the black belt level.

In my experience I find no gi gives more room to unorthodox techniques then gi because you will just get punished trying anything obscure that isn't tried and tested...I have no evidence to back that up but its just what I have noticed...I'm sure my arm would get taken home by a decent practitioner if I tried the armbar bait in gi but in no gi you can 100% get away with it because of no grips

Mario Sperry Armbar Bait - basically you grab the dude in a double handed rape choke and posture up into a tripod...arm bar city you say? is no problem for Mario Sperry, as soon as you open your guard and turn your hips to armbar you pull out as fast as you can (giggidy) and from there you can hip heist to pass or disengage and pass the open guard... part of the technique is on this video

[YT]KGi0FLmOJus[/YT]

Marcelo Garcia Tripod Sweep Bait - You explode to your feet, opponent goes for the classic grab both ankles tripod sweep, you expect this and kick forward then circle your leg back and disengage...some people would argue this isn't unorthodox but I don't know many people who do this other then marcelo and his students

JJ Machado technique (similar to the above marcelo break): [YT]SGHsF41Bwbg[/YT]

Bear hug break: [YT]KF4589P0bFU[/YT]

Sprawl double leg style break: [YT]sugJhu3Ba1Q[/YT]

Can opener: [YT]98iW2ahMPK0[/YT]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

how many people actually use circle stacking/tozi style pressure passes? seems like most people when theyre stuck in closed guard look to stand and break first, then pass open guard on their feet, which would make the above 'unorthodox'.

id dare say a guy whos A game is to pass strait through closed guard would have an advantage over someone who spends alot of time on their open guard.

3. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

I was gonna include the tozi but I would of thought most people consider it a pretty common and well known move...but its definitely unorthodox in the sense that is a low posture pass and breaks the guard straight into a pass with no in between

mine needs major works, I get flower swept by any above purple when I got for it

4. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

It's well-known, but I don't think it's common.

5. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Black Belt

Didn't Saulo have a weird one where he jumped up with both legs in line?

6. RTbar

RTbar Yellow Belt

Sometimes i get real high up, head grindinging their chin, all weight forward, and go for a hail mary ankle lock on their legs behind me. Its basically the same lock you can get when someone crosses their legs from back control. I also do that armbar bait, but with 1 arm tight to my belly button, because it makes it easier to escape in that you are halway there already....just dont mess the timing up when you pull the arm out. Honestly though i just do elbows in thigh, and say whatever you want but it usually works

7. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Black Belt

8. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

9. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

I use the MG tripod sweep bait one a lot. The others seem a bit risky though.

10. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

there are alot of variations to zero point posture passing.

[YT]pHWPT7TnFsE[/YT]
    [YT]35iHlelkiYE[/YT]
    [YT]x34BhtvTtCc[/YT]

i think the biggest thing sans kimono would be controlling the arm on the circle, if you get the hammerlock you have alot of options. posting your head on their head/neck would also help in controlling their movement and closing the space.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  11. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Bernardo Pitel has the weirdest way of consistently opening the closed guard against good players, by far.

12. Higus

Higus Gold Belt

I used to roll with a guy who would do the Genki Sudo helicopter into heel hook. The SOB made it work, too.

13. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

It's not super uncommon but still worth throwing in...

[YT]if_DRd0KWGg[/YT]

14. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I use it constantly. Especially no-gi. I do a variation favored by Roger Gracie where you bring your elbow to the other side of uke's head, I don't really know how to describe it.

Also, the Marcelo tripod bait is great, and it's not really a bait. If the guy doesn't try the double ankle sweep, you can just pressure his hips to break. It's not like he has to try the sweep for you to pass, but if he does, you're ready for it.

15. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Braulio seems to use the stacking Tozi a lot, judging from the sparring vids on his website.

16. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

[​IMG]

this?

17. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

I've seen a lot of catch claim there is a step over toe hold vs the guard...I've yet to see that be done on anyone skilled... gokor teaches it in his dvd also

18. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

As far as unorthodox guard breaks, if you're big on leglocks, I'm not very good with it, but I really like the one I've seen Garry Tonon do where he sits on his butt, puts his feet/legs over their waist, and then lean back to pop their ankles open to expose possible heel hooks and foot locks.

Sort of like this, but against the regular closed guard and not the triangle

I've noticed the same. I don't know if I've ever finished a successful Tozi pass on anyone, haha. I mean I've never really practiced it, but still.

The standing Marcelo Garcia closed guard break is probably my #1 closed guard break. For anyone that does this regularly, sometimes you do get knocked onto your butt, right? I always just try to be ready for it and come to base before them, ready to pass their open guard. That's the idea, right?

19. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

OMG OMG OMG thank you so much for this video! ... I've always wondered if this could work on the guard...this is my go to triangle defence escape, I'm just gonna go for it tonight and see if I can pop the ankles open that way...I made a thread about it pretty recently and most people just brushed it off saying it wouldn't work for either a triangle or the closed guard but that's obviously bull for the triangle as I have made it work countless times...I've yet to try it on the guard tho

I was thinking of crossing my ankles across his legs but then using a free hand to tuck one leg inside his guard (I'm very flexible)..then using that hook to pry open the guard..it works for the triangle defence

and about the marcelo garcia break, it is also my number 1 break and most succesful..it is the only guard break in my arsenal that has successfully worked on my coach ...the only time I escape my coaches guard is if he opens and I disengage or I do the pop to my feet, reach back pry open the guard, kick forward and circle leg back to avoid sweep

20. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

couple more I found

[YT]0GANeaN2gnY[/YT]

[YT]yMIH5zHSAg8[/YT]