Social UNLV Boxing Match Death Ruled Homicide

Really doubt that event was sanctioned in any way by the university. Lawyers just trying to find the deepest pockets they can.

This is a reach for a lawsuit. And a piss poor one at that.

Tragic loss, but the kid took part in something dangerous and it had a very sad ending. Its not the schools fault, and unless the fraternity is proved to have somehow forced the kid to compete in said boxing match, its not their fault either.

It was with a fraternity. If this was some sort of hazing event, where the deceased was coerced to get into the ring with someone much stronger or more skilled or be thrown out of the frat, and then was killed in the mismatch as he got his ass kicked, there could be appropriate manslaughter chargers that apply.

If two guys more or less equal went a little rough and this was just a tragedy, then yeah it’s a sporting accident.
it wasnt a hazing thing. the guy that signed up for the match under his own free will. he demanded that he fight this guy in the main event.

There’s a stupid terminology thing that needs to be fixed with autopsies

Anytime a person is killed by another person, medical examiner calls it a homicide. Even if it’s literally an on camera crystal self defense moment. Cops shoot a person who stabbed another person to death then slashed a cops arm before they’re able to shoot him. It’s ruled a homicide.
Just cause you can’t understand the definition of a word doesn’t mean the world is going to change it for you.

This is a reach for a lawsuit. And a piss poor one at that.

Tragic loss, but the kid took part in something dangerous and it had a very sad ending. Its not the schools fault, and unless the fraternity is proved to have somehow forced the kid to compete in said boxing match, its not their fault either.

I don't know about that. This seems like a pretty tight case for negligence causing death on someone's part. It's all fun and games until someone dies. Then shit gets real, and all that legal shit you didn't think you had to bother with to put on some fights, all of a sudden matters. It's the organizing of the event that will ultimately fuck whoever green lit this shit. It's not like two guys just got into a fight and someone died. Someone created the environment for it to happen, and if you don't have a license to put on such an event, where waivers and whatnot would come into play, you're likely on the hook for something, I would imagine.

Anytime one person dies at the hands of another it's homicide. The question is whether there is criminality to be uncovered in said homicide

I don't know about that. This seems like a pretty tight case for negligence causing death on someone's part. It's all fun and games until someone dies. Then shit gets real, and all that legal shit you didn't think you had to bother with to put on some fights, all of a sudden matters. It's the organizing of the event that will ultimately fuck whoever green lit this shit. It's not like two guys just got into a fight and someone died. Someone created the environment for it to happen, and if you don't have a license to put on such an event, where waivers and whatnot would come into play, you're likely on the hook for something, I would imagine.
I didnt say no one is at fault. But it isnt the school, unless there is some other info that isnt in the article.

We can thank everyone who's treating all these youtube dickheads like they're real boxers for kids like this thinking they can do it to.

Back