Social UNLV Boxing Match Death Ruled Homicide

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
20yr Student died after completing in the Main Event of a school sanction event.

Homicide has been ruled in the death of a University of Nevada, Las Vegas student who collapsed after participating in a charity amateur "fight night" organized by his fraternity, authorities said.

The death of 20-year-old Nathan Valencia was determined through an autopsy to be a homicide caused by blunt force trauma to the head, but a spokesperson for the agency told ABC affiliate station KTNV that simply means he died at the hands of another and not necessarily as a result of a criminal act.

Valencia's distraught relatives have hired a lawyer to get to the bottom of how UNLV's Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity was permitted to host the off-campus amateur boxing match they claim was sanctioned by the university and is held annually.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/homicide-ruled-nevada-students-death-183200839.html

Schools have rules against Hazing but allow students to beat each other death.

I knew of a guy who was paralyzed because he was shot in the back about 20 years before he died. He ended up dying in bed because he couldn't get himself up to take care of himself. His official cause of death was homicide from the gunshot wound because that was the root cause of his death. It appears that the crime tag is misleading on this thread.

I knew of a guy who was paralyzed because he was shot in the back about 20 years before he died. He ended up dying in bed because he couldn't get himself up to take care of himself. His official cause of death was homicide from the gunshot wound because that was the root cause of his death. It appears that the crime tag is misleading on this thread.

Homicide is an act of a human killing another person.[1] A homicide requires only a volitional act that causes the death of another, and thus a homicide may result from accidental, reckless, or negligent acts even if there is no intent to cause harm.[2] Homicides can be divided into many overlapping legal categories, including murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, killing in war (either following the laws of war or as a war crime), euthanasia, and capital punishment, depending on the circumstances of the death. These different types of homicides are often treated very differently in human societies; some are considered crimes, while others are permitted or even ordered by the legal system.

Not criminal if I'm reading everything correctly. Just the result of another individual, which any boxing death could be called.

I hope alcohol wasn't involved.

It should not be called a homicide, this was an accident in a sporting event. it is sad that a young man died but to classify it as a homicide is not right.
This was a non sanctioned boxing event. UNLV journalism student David Cruz filmed part of the event and had this to say "He didn’t look like a ref. He was just like somebody they pulled off from the side to like stand there and be like alright, stop getting near each other. It was just fighting. Like there was no like boxing involved in it. Everybody was hitting each other in the back of the heads. The ref wasn’t really participating. He was more, also just a viewer, just like enthralled in the chaos of the event, I guess." Also the ref was drinking throughout the event. As well helmets kept coming off and participants were running around trying to find a pair of gloves to use

Not criminal if I'm reading everything correctly. Just the result of another individual, which any boxing death could be called.

The ref was drinking throughout the entire event

Homicide is an act of a human killing another person.[1] A homicide requires only a volitional act that causes the death of another, and thus a homicide may result from accidental, reckless, or negligent acts even if there is no intent to cause harm.[2] Homicides can be divided into many overlapping legal categories, including murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, killing in war (either following the laws of war or as a war crime), euthanasia, and capital punishment, depending on the circumstances of the death. These different types of homicides are often treated very differently in human societies; some are considered crimes, while others are permitted or even ordered by the legal system.
I don't know why you quoted me to share this, but ok.

How many times have you seen stupid events like this happen and a death was called a homicide? based on what others have posted it was an unsanctioned boxing charity that was poorly run. Even in some of the MMA deaths over the years they have not been called homicides, when by the definition you posted, they could have been called such.

From the video that’s out there, and there isn’t a lot, the fight itself didn’t seem all that brutal. Maybe there is more footage. That’s the thing about fighting — you can die, and boxing isn’t something you play. I know with all these YouTube driven events we have seen an abundance of whacky, funny fights, but they’re still fights. An adult male punching you can lead to your death, or you killing someone, especially when there’s an underlying condition.

RIP to Nathan Valencia.

Is there a video of the ko?
I saw a clip of them throwing hands and its hard to believe that much damage was inflicted, truly sad and im crushed for the parents.

Sounds like an unsanctioned event which would be very much illegal and possibly manslaughter

Sounds like an unsanctioned event which would be very much illegal and possibly manslaughter
theres nothing illegal about going to the gym and and having a full on scrap for 5 rounds why would this be any different ?
If theres no money involved it doesn’t need to be sanctioned.
Boxing isn’t illegal

It should not be called a homicide, this was an accident in a sporting event. it is sad that a young man died but to classify it as a homicide is not right.

There’s a stupid terminology thing that needs to be fixed with autopsies

Anytime a person is killed by another person, medical examiner calls it a homicide. Even if it’s literally an on camera crystal self defense moment. Cops shoot a person who stabbed another person to death then slashed a cops arm before they’re able to shoot him. It’s ruled a homicide.

theres nothing illegal about going to the gym and and having a full on scrap for 5 rounds why would this be any different ?
If theres no money involved it doesn’t need to be sanctioned.
Boxing isn’t illegal

It was with a fraternity. If this was some sort of hazing event, where the deceased was coerced to get into the ring with someone much stronger or more skilled or be thrown out of the frat, and then was killed in the mismatch as he got his ass kicked, there could be appropriate manslaughter chargers that apply.

If two guys more or less equal went a little rough and this was just a tragedy, then yeah it’s a sporting accident.

It was with a fraternity. If this was some sort of hazing event, where the deceased was coerced to get into the ring with someone much stronger or more skilled or be thrown out of the frat, and then was killed in the mismatch as he got his ass kicked, there could be appropriate manslaughter chargers that apply.

If two guys more or less equal went a little rough and this was just a tragedy, then yeah it’s a sporting accident.
I saw the video they both are pretty small guys i would guess 135-145lbs, and neither looked experienced.
If two guys are willing i dont think manslaughter would even hold up, maybe under those exact circumstances you just listed.
But remember in chicago 10 guys shot eachother 5vs 5 and 2 died, it left 70 shell casings in the street and was ruled mutual combat.
I think even a mismatch in someones backyard would be tough to call manslaughter if both guys willingly participated without blackmail

20yr Student died after completing in the Main Event of a school sanction event.

Schools have rules against Hazing but allow students to beat each other death.

No shit it's a homicide? Did someone suggest the 'rona got him?

Back