University or government job?

I work for the government and here more than anywhere else, your qualifications are what get you the high paying jobs. It's like a prerequisite for any decent position... Unless you really work your way up tor 12 yrs or something.

Things sound very very different in America so I couldn't say. But in my life, I would choose college.

I work for the govt and it's pretty dope, but I did the whole 4 year college thing too. If the job is guaranteed I would take it, go to CC part time to get your Associates, and then find the cheapest legit university available to get your Bachelors. You can later use that degree to promote to better positions. I'm relatively young and from my perspective, I'm betting that government jobs will become highly sought after within the next few years if they aren't already.

Look at it this way, I get a monthly stipend for medical/dental(whatever I don't spend I keep as long as I enroll) , pension, 401k, supreme job security, random holidays all year, generous vacation/sick leave, and I started at $25/hour and cap at $55/hour with plenty of room for promotion. My employer has over 100k employees, with tons of opportunities to advance/promote from within. The job is relatively low stress, no one is ever in a hurry, and work stays at work; if you want more then start a side business, but overall you will still have a solid base. In addition, once I put in my 20 years my health insurance is covered for life, and I parachute out of there with 70k+ yearly pension.

Government jobs are horrid for job satisfaction to the point where I actually fantasize about quitting. but these fools pay me over 100k to sherdog,eBay, and try to find my way around the YouTube filters.

Either way when oddly enough I thought about going from federal Leo to local fire department when I saw the starting pay of 38,000 and to top out at 55,000

I couldn't look my wife and kids in the face and say where taking a fifty thousand dollar paycut so dad can be a fireman. Oh well such is life.

My advise go to college if you have the aptitude major in one of the STEM fields and enjoy your work life

government job.

pension and healthcare, oh lawd.

Choose the path that leads to long term happiness and allows you to pursue something you are passionate (or the very least, have interest) in doing. For the record, that doesn't necessarily mean college - alot of people have a strong sense of civic duty and find their passion working in government.

I would actually recommend the city job to most students I come across. Students who go to school just for the sake of having a degree (as opposed to those who are doing it out of interest or long term career goals), ultimately hope to end up in a decent office job, so you might as well save yourself four years of tuition.

Government jobs are horrid for job satisfaction to the point where I actually fantasize about quitting. but these fools pay me over 100k to sherdog,eBay, and try to find my way around the YouTube filters.

Either way when oddly enough I thought about going from federal Leo to local fire department when I saw the starting pay of 38,000 and to top out at 55,000

I couldn't look my wife and kids in the face and say where taking a fifty thousand dollar paycut so dad can be a fireman. Oh well such is life.

My advise go to college if you have the aptitude major in one of the STEM fields and enjoy your work life

I might have done the STEM route if I was 18 all over again and got to pick, but I'm pretty comfortable where I'm at. Oh, and I'm not sure about the other govt peeps, but my wife also works there (as do tons of other married couples) so its a good place to find someone else that has a good job (I didn't meet my wife there, I helped her get a job there).

City Job. The option to go to college is always there if you don't like the gov't job.

I might have done the STEM route if I was 18 all over again and got to pick, but I'm pretty comfortable where I'm at. Oh, and I'm not sure about the other govt peeps, but my wife also works there (as do tons of other married couples) so its a good place to find someone else that has a good job (I didn't meet my wife there, I helped her get a job there).

Is it like the unions? Lots of nepotism?

go with the city job, take some classes in your free time. slow and steady progress on both is more than doable

Is it like the unions? Lots of nepotism?
There used to be lots of nepotism, but they have curbed it over the past 10 years they make the hiring process very robotic. Before the actual business area gets your app it goes through HR and they weed them out, so a manager cant just get your app and push it through. All this really does is hurt the lower and mid level people that are good workers, because managers that know they are good employees cant just hire them, it does nothing to stop nepotism at the top (administration) where it is the most rampant.

All I did to help my wife get a job was to tell her what exams to take and what jobs to apply for. I have about 6 friends that work here now because of this.

Two important factors.

1. Do I want to live in that city?
2. How to pay for college? For example, if my parents can afford to pay the entire nut, undergard, medical/law school whatever?

Let's say you are 18 years old and you just graduated high school. You have two options:

1. Go to college.. the sky's the limit

2. Family member offers to juice you into a city job. Office work, $24/hr to start, pension, healthcare, etc..

After you choose one or the other, the other option is no longer available. If you choose go work for the city, you can never go to college and vice versa.

Which would you choose?

This really depends on the individual -- their drive, ambition, creativity, (inter)personal skills, networking abilities, etc (among other qualities), not to mention what the diploma/degree is for.

I've known several people who have graduated with a fairly standard degree like a Bachelors in English/History/Art/Social Sciences and can't find work, because a degree like that isn't the same ticket into a job like say getting a college/technical diploma in the trades, or say mechanical engineering/design or tool and die making. If you can graduate a technical program like that obviously you have the technical abilities and knowledge to do the job, so as long as you aren't a bumbling idiot in the interview you've got a good chance of getting the job. If you graduate with a Bachelors in English or General Arts and realize you have no idea what you want to do, you could be looking for work for awhile, because there's probably somebody with more specialized training or more experience than you applying for the same job.

I've seen tons of intelligent people with a university degree, but they were followers (not leaders), and were stuck in entry level positions, waiting for people to tell them what to do next. That said, I'm the Quality Supervisor at a food production plant, and the plant manager has a Bachelor of General Arts. But he's in his early 30s and looks like he could go to the top of the company because of his knowledge of the business, and his drive and ambition are unmatched. Most people who go to university for a generalized degree don't see themselves managing factory, but this guy graduated, found something he was interested in and was good at, and went from a supervisor to plant manager within a few years. He's well on his way to a senior management level, overseeing several production facilities in the company.

Also, do companies in the US not offer pension programs or something? I put 3% of my annual salary into a retirement plan, and my company throws in an additional 6% for a total of 9% of my annual wage going into a retirement plan, which is basically invested in money market/low risk mutual funds. I don't have to participate, but to set aside 3% of my pay to get a free, additional 6% invested for my retirement is a no brainier. The program is even extended to the unionized, hourly workers working on the production lines.

#2, by far. in today's economy, you need to focus on priorities first. you need money to support yourself. you can always take classes on the weekend, and/or find another way to educate yourself in your free-time, if you really want to pursue your passion.

i know too many people in real-life, who placed all their eggs in option #1, and are miserable making very little money in a job they were forced to take, just to get by.

People need to stop thinking of university as a path to a job.

It's tuition farming for gullible people unless you're interested in the field of study or it has practical applications.

IMO you'd be better of taking the city job and letting them pay you to take classes or, more likely, browse wikipedia at work like most government workers do.

Let's say you are 18 years old and you just graduated high school. You have two options:

2. Family member offers to juice you into a city job. Office work, $24/hr to start, pension, healthcare, etc..

After you choose one or the other, the other option is no longer available. If you choose go work for the city, you can never go to college and vice versa.

Which would you choose?
It ultimately depends on the individual's passion for either of these two venues...if the kid's all about going to college and truly adhering to a "sky's the limit" mentality, then go to school.

However, if you're going to college just to check a box, you're clearly lacking passion (which is not uncommon at 18), then get the city job.

Government jobs not only offer perks such as decent pay, stability, and retirement, but if you keep your nose clean you'll eventually see yourself moving up the chain.

I've known way to many people with government jobs who possess masters degrees, and who are making the same amount as the dude next to them.

Which would you choose?

So you can't take option two . . . work a few years and then go to college? :)

College, college, college. Working for any form of government, without a college degree as a means of finding other work as a backup plan, will trap you. And it will trap you in with the dumbest, grossest, most dishonest pieces of shit you will have ever known. Go to school. There are always plenty of jobs with the city, state, Feds, etc. if that's what you want to do later you still can.

Back