Underutilized technique in MMA/grappling...

QTdd**

Green Belt
Reaction score
The single leg seatbelt.
I've been saying this for a long time. There are lots of variations and they're all highly effective in both MMA and straight grappling.

At the TUF 16 finale, we saw the technique three times.

Mike Rio used it twice against John Cofer and Rustam Khalibov used it on Vinc Pichel, before tossing him and hitting his suplex three times.

With the single leg seatbelt, you shoot for a basic single leg with the head of course on the inside. Your outside arm reached around his lower back.

From there, you can finish it in many ways:

-Step inside and run the pipe. This is probably a lot easier with the gi, because you can grab the jacket. You can make it even more effective by blocking the knee or ankle. Probably the most effective finish.

15:33 and 18:47

-Square up and hook the leg whilst bodylocking. Almost like a Kosoto Gake.

- Step inside and back arch
Unfortunately, I can't find unstructional videos for the other finishes on Youtube:

The back arch is pretty tough to finish, because of the sweat and lack of a shirt/gi.

-Let go of the single leg and get the bodylock. The outside trips, knee taps and throws are right there and you almost can't screw up.

Note that your inside arm pulls up the leg you've got the single leg on, so he can't whizzer and overhook throw/Uchi mata you.

It's a great finish to have in your arsenal. Especially when fishing/chaining for single legs against the cage.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
This is fucking pathetic.
Apparently, it's cooler to talk about how Eddie Bravo sucks and how about you're such a bad ass blue belt.

I FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fantastic position but most mma fighters who aren't wrestlers have terrible hip positioning up and lack the skill to use this but in freestyle this position is taught alot, it's also in the fila grading but the variation i know is head outside, single legs are the kings of takedowns

How is this position better than the typical single leg position? It actually seems weaker to me seeing as you only have one hand holding your opponent's leg. It may also be difficult to get your arm around your opponent's waist when he is pressed up against the cage.

lol not necessary to bump so many times.. but yeah i always thought that would be ineffective in MMA because ins all limbs focused on 1 leg and the opponent could still hit your face.

cool to see it pulled off.

How is this position better than the typical single leg position? It actually seems weaker to me seeing as you only have one hand holding your opponent's leg. It may also be difficult to get your arm around your opponent's waist when he is pressed up against the cage.

I didn't say it's better. I said it's a great variation you can use and it's highly effective.

Kimura trap all day

You don't stand there with the seat belt control for an hour.
You switch and instantly hit the move.

Great thread topic. We need more technique discussions in here and less gossip.

I believe Galv

Why does he get the leg so deep between his legs? This seems like a really good way to get yourself thrown with Uchi Mata.

Obi's calf is pressing between his thighs. With the Uchi mata, you don't have enough leverage by simply reaping with the calf. You need your thigh too.

Also, the clockwise movement prevents the step in Obi would use to set up his throw.

It's probably more likely that Obi hits a Harai Goshi there, if he manages to get his leg out. But because of the lack of balance and position of both his body and knee, he'd most likely get slammed very hard, before being able to hit the throw.

Obi's calf is pressing between his thighs. With the Uchi mata, you don't have enough leverage by simply reaping with the calf. You need your thigh too.

Also, the clockwise movement prevents the step in Obi would use to set up his throw.

It's probably more likely that Obi hits a Harai Goshi there, if he manages to get his leg out. But because of the lack of balance and position of both his body and knee, he'd most likely get slammed very hard, before being able to hit the throw.

Sure he would have to push his leg even deeper than it is to get the Uchi Mata (I never suggested he could just use his calf to throw - that would be silly), but it seems like the other guy is helping that along.

Sure he would have to push his leg even deeper than it is to get the Uchi Mata (I never suggested he could just use his calf to throw - that would be silly), but it seems like the other guy is helping that along.

He's of course not putting up much resistence. No technique is bulletproof, but it's still very effective.
Even against highly skilled Judokas.

I teach the regular finish to our fighters. I like to block inside the legs as I trip backwards, so once I land in side (or in pin position in wrestling) I finish with a "Navy ride" and can continue to secure back points or position in fighting.

Back