UFN 98 - Ferguson vs RDA - Mexico City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like RDA but Ferguson has a lot of momentum. I might bet on this fight for action but nothing over a unit.

I like Beneil as the underdog but I feel he may be too slow for rashid. Think he's much better on the ground though.

I'll pay the juice on Held. Think he's the better striker and grappler. Doubt he subs diego though.

Eric perez is that big of a favorite? I'll probably pass as I think he wins but it'll be a close fight.

Guido fought beltran before and I thought he won but I'd bet Beltran here depending on the odds.

Barzola should open at evens thats's such a tough fight ;)
Momentum doesn't mean shit in MMA. See Dustin vs Johnson

What are your thoughts on rda's power vs fergs chin? Ferg never ko'd and rda only 5 ko wins but three in recent times including stoppages of cerrone and benson two resilent fighters. Cerrone's downfall was from a body kick which he has a weakness for, and if i remember rightly bendo wasnt out, and there was a possible argument that it could have been allowed to continue? Rda has clearly improved his striking leaps and bounds, but id be surprised if he can get ferg out and the longer this goes the more i favour ferg and the chaos he brings.

What are your thoughts on rda's power vs fergs chin? Ferg never ko'd and rda only 5 ko wins but three in recent times including stoppages of cerrone and benson two resilent fighters. Cerrone's downfall was from a body kick which he has a weakness for, and if i remember rightly bendo wasnt out, and there was a possible argument that it could have been allowed to continue? Rda has clearly improved his striking leaps and bounds, but id be surprised if he can get ferg out and the longer this goes the more i favour ferg and the chaos he brings.

RDA vs Bendo was a bad stoppage. The way Bendo fell made it look like he was out when he wasn't, the fight should have continued. I won't be totally shocked if RDA finishes Ferg, but I think it's pretty unlikely. I'm considering adding Ferg NSC to the action I already have on him.

Yeah thats what im thinking. My only worry is underestimating fergs power and rda coming off a bad tko. Ferg had thomson whos tough as they come out on his feet a few times and put tibau down before the finish. Plus hes had a few nasty ko's against lesser opponents. I completely see what you are saying but id kick myself if ferg ended things quick. On the other hand if rda blows him out in the first which i find very unlikely but nonetheless it would save me £££! Decisions decisions...

The way I'm thinking I'm gonna bet Ferg prefight, just kinda small. If he actually gets RDA out of there quickly, I'll just take my small win and be happy.

worth noting that sanchez trains at elevation in albuquerque (not as extreme as mexico city).

I think Held is gonna school Diego. Held is actually a very good fighter & Sanchez is done.

Gonna wait to see how RDA looks at weigh ins. He seems very mentally tough. And I could see him coming back from the loss with a vengeance

RDA/Ferg

Bad match up imo for ferg and I love his tenacious relentless fighting style, rda is a high volume striker with lovely right hand counters, we know he too has the power to ko guys or punch them senseless for most of the fight and ferg quite frankly does not care about defence.

To make matters worse, rda has that black belt MT background, some of the best kicking game in the division, his low leg kicks, body kicks and head kicks are viscous and ferg has broken his arm once from similar kicks (mj fight). But don't forget rda can wrestle and take down guys with good top control position also here, rda is a 3rd degree bjj black belt from Caveirinha, one of the top ji jitsu grapplers going.

Ferg will struggle here I reckon, if he gets relentless and presses forward he either gets taken down and gnp here or eats a flurry of counter punches or that big right hand. RDA is use to 5 rounders also and has shown good cardio and fight iq (ability to secure rounds).

I like rda su, but like a hedge on ferg sub maybe from r3-5.

Torn on Dariush v Magomedov, settled on Dariush NSC for 2 units. Magomedov has some of my favourite striking but he's not much of a finisher

Took Clark for a unit, I'm almost always willing to take a big dog in WMMA. And put a tiny bit on Sanchez rd3 at +2125

If dariush nsc is near dariush ml, I love that bet

Bate the other two plays but im assuming just snall stabs, in which case go for it. Held got finished by chandler when he was like 20 years old.. that's it.. and diego hasn't finished anyone in like 10 years.. but that's all off of memory

And grasso has groundskills, too. Check out the inverted triangles and shit vs mizuki. Mizuki is amazing on the ground. But grasso big edge in hands, not even close

...ahh, shit. Dariush ml +140, nsc -110. Fuck.

So far...

I like Beneil as dog so far.

I took a stab at Beneil when the line opened and then again later. 2u total.

Rda is better everywhere. Ferg's chaos and ability to take punishment is the only thing he has going for him. Rda should finish the job Landon vanetta couldnt

Rda is better everywhere. Ferg's chaos and ability to take punishment is the only thing he has going for him. Rda should finish the job Landon vanetta couldnt

Are you not worried about RDA not being the biggest finisher and Ferg having a granite chin? What happens if this goes the distance in your opinion?

The way I'm thinking I'm gonna bet Ferg prefight, just kinda small. If he actually gets RDA out of there quickly, I'll just take my small win and be happy.

Probably how I will play it too. It is a lb fight especially if you like Ferg in this one.

Whoever takes the center of the octagon wins the fight between Ferguson/RDA.

Now, while it's fact that RDA has great ability or put pressure on his opponents, what you really gotta ask is how he's doing it. He's great at owning range where he's masterful at kicking. Up close, he's got very good wrestling and BJJ too so he uses that to aid into his ability to put guys on the back foot. Tony's counter to relieving that type of pressure is his special ability to snapdown your neck and that is a legit threat to anyone who wants to stick their head where it don't belong. And because Tony's so confident in it, he doesn't freeze up like a lot of fighters would to RDA's crippling pressure. Although, RDA could be fight him head-on and try to bait his neck in order for him to gain top position and work his GnP, as we know Tony sometimes even drops to his back to snatch that submission. It could look like what he did to Nate. High risk high reward.

RDA's pressure style got him caught with a big right hand against Alvarez. If you rewatch that fight, RDA tried to settle in too soon and got in Eddie's face from the start of the round. RDA was greeted by a grazing right hand somewhere in the first minute or so IIRC. As soon as I saw Eddie get close to landing that punch I had a feeling it was going to be over for RDA. A couple minutes later, RDA feeling like he needed to put more pressure on Eddie, ran into the same right hand that grazed him a couple times but instead he caught it to the jaw.

All n all, very close fight. For live betting purposes, whoever is stepping forward the majority of the time is winning this fight. If you believe that man to be RDA, then by all means but I'm on Fergie for this one. I think he's got that funky style that you can't really be fully prepared for.

Side note: how will altitude factor the performances of these fighters? No way to tell.

Last edited:
Are you not worried about RDA not being the biggest finisher and Ferg having a granite chin? What happens if this goes the distance in your opinion?

True about RDA not being the biggest finisher. A lot of replies after me have me second guessing my lean on RDA. In 5 rounds, I think Ferg will land something amidst all the chaos. Surely in a 5 round fight there has to be a finish. I don't recall seeing Ferg go 5 rounds tho, I could be wrong.

True about RDA not being the biggest finisher. A lot of replies after me have me second guessing my lean on RDA. In 5 rounds, I think Ferg will land something amidst all the chaos. Surely in a 5 round fight there has to be a finish. I don't recall seeing Ferg go 5 rounds tho, I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to a decision but i think if there is a finish Ferg is more likely. Ferg has finished 6 of his last 8 fights and only Thomson could have survived that onslaught, and if that was 5 rounds i think Ferg would have finished. Ferg's never been 5 but cardio is one of his biggest strengths i think he thrives over 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back