UFC's sh*tty matchmaking has given rise to 4 shadow champions (so much for being the 'premier league')

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
I am sick..............

Sick of the state of UFC's shitty matchmaking.

What makes UFC the standout MMA promotion? They're supposed to have the best fighters on the planet. The best fight the best. The champion = the bestest. Being a champion used to mean something. Now it's been watered down so much that fighters with 0 defences are begging Dana for a second strap.

I cannot recall a time when the belt meant so little. I'm a true MMA fan. And I don't mean that it in an egotistical way. Sure, I like fighters who can 'make some noise', but that don't necessarily mean I want them fighting for the strap.

8 divisions, and 4 of them have shadow champions (WMMA doesn't count). What's going on? Why are Cheato, Colby, Stipe, etc. getting title shots? This is a joke. I don't even get excited for championship fights no more.

What is a 'shadow champion'? A shadow champion is essentially a non-champion with a championship-esque run, i.e., fighters with a similar amount of ranked wins as the current champ. I've identified 4 shadow champions:
  • Merab - In this goblin's last 3 bouts, he beat Cejudo, Yan and Aldo in dominant fashion. He upgraded from no. 1 contendor status to shadow champion status the moment O'Malley decided he wanted a gimme matchup against Cheato.
  • Belal - 2 top 5 wins and 2 top 10 wins in his last 4. Which elite fighter has Leon beat besides Usman? We counting Colby now?
  • Anklaev - Potent has been gifted so many favorable match-up fights. 0 title defences at MW despite being the biggest middleweight in the history of the sport. We all know Anklaev is the top dog at LHW. Anklaev beats Potent any day of the week. Easy money, Ali.
  • Aspinall - Put aside by the UFC so Jon can get his gimme fight against Stipe. We all know it.

Personally, I like the belt to mean something. Whether a fighter is boring or not is completely irrelevant. If you want the belt to mean something it should be completely based off merit.

(Usman, the supposed greatest WW of all time, has 2 title defences against Masvidal. Let that sink in.)

I am sick..............

Sick of the state of UFC's shitty matchmaking.

What makes UFC the standout MMA promotion? They're supposed to have the best fighters on the planet. The best fight the best. The champion = the bestest. Being a champion used to mean something. Now it's been watered down so much that fighters with 0 defences are begging Dana for a second strap.

I cannot recall a time when the belt meant so little. I'm a true MMA fan. And I don't mean that it in an egotistical way. Sure, I like fighters who can 'make some noise', but that don't necessarily mean I want them fighting for the strap.

8 divisions, and 4 of them have shadow champions (WMMA doesn't count). What's going on? Why are Cheato, Colby, Stipe, etc. getting title shots? This is a joke. I don't even get excited for championship fights no more.

What is a 'shadow champion'? A shadow champion is essentially a non-champion with a championship-esque run, i.e., fighters with a similar amount of ranked wins as the current champ. I've identified 4 shadow champions:
  • Merab - In this goblin's last 3 bouts, he beat Cejudo, Yan and Aldo in dominant fashion. He upgraded from no. 1 contendor status to shadow champion status the moment O'Malley decided he wanted a gimme matchup against Cheato.
  • Belal - 2 top 5 wins and 2 top 10 wins in his last 4. Which elite fighter has Leon beat besides Usman? We counting Colby now?
  • Anklaev - Potent has been gifted so many favorable match-up fights. 0 title defences at MW despite being the biggest middleweight in the history of the sport. We all know Anklaev is the top dog at LHW. Anklaev beats Potent any day of the week. Easy money, Ali.
  • Aspinall - Put aside by the UFC so Jon can get his gimme fight against Stipe. We all know it.

Personally, I like the belt to mean something. Whether a fighter is boring or not is completely irrelevant. If you want the belt to mean something it should be completely based off merit.

(Usman, the supposed greatest WW of all time, has 2 title defences against Masvidal. Let that sink in.)
You’re forgetting the genius idea of matching up Gaethje vs Holloway, thus depriving 2 champs of their natural next up contender. 2024 has been abysmal for UFC match making

You’re forgetting the genius idea of matching up Gaethje vs Holloway, thus depriving 2 champs of their natural next up contender. 2024 has been abysmal for UFC match making
Justin gaethje ducked Islam

And max prolly thought volk was gonna stay at Fw with the belt and took the money fight

To be fair, the logic behind Gaethje vs Holloway was pretty clear from the outset.

"OMG WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!??!?"

Big Frankie with more truths.

Well, Who else should be? there's only shavkat, but wins over brady, burns and Luque are better than what shavkat has.
Even without shavkat, Is usman officially done with ww? Jdm also just finished Gilbert (something what’s his name couldn’t do)

I’ve got no issue with belal getting the next title shot but calling him a “shadow champion” is crazy

Lol at Poatan and Ankalaev. Ankalaev had his shot and couldn’t get past Jan. Poatan has just beat two very recent LHW champions and will be fighting another one in his next fight. How’s that favourable match ups? While Ankalaev just beat the unbeatable Johnny Walker, lol

Last edited:
im never one to not watch a fight but i understand what you are saying.

UFC was smart to make Omalley vs Chito when they did.

Thats what Merab gets for knocking off Aljo's challengers.

WME corporatized the UFC, and killed the ethos of the sport in the process.

It’s the Ultimate Marketable Fighters Championship now.
All fightsports do this.

How many times did they give marketable fighters chances that others wouldnt? that goes back as far as far goes. In UFC,Boxing and everywher else/

Back