UFC using USADA for drug testing...

Rob_M.

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was watching a documentary on cable. I forgot what the heck the name of it was, I'm sure someone can remember but it's worth a watch. But from what they say, USADA is probably the worst and easiest to cheat whereas VADA is the best and most accurate. Any ex or current steroid users have any input or thoughts?

Well USADA is a hell of a lot better than what we had before.

A lot of info came out about VADA during the whole Hendricks vs. GSP WADA vs. VADA saga and it was made pretty clear that VADA and WADA are ahead of USADA, but USADA uses WADAs banned substances list.

I think the thing with all of this is that it's really all about the appearance of being tough on PEDs. So I think that the reality is that the UFC wants to look like they're cracking down on PEDs and if they catch some cheaters here and there then that's great.

The reality is that if someone really wants to cheat, they're going to find a way to cheat. It's gonna happen somehow. So all the UFC can really do is look like they're trying, which they're doing. Theres no reason for them to spend way more money to use VADA when it won't make much, if any, of a difference.

I was watching a documentary on cable. I forgot what the heck the name of it was, I'm sure someone can remember but it's worth a watch. But from what they say, USADA is probably the worst and easiest to cheat whereas VADA is the best and most accurate. Any ex or current steroid users have any input or thoughts?
Vada much harder to cheat their standard uses a carbon isotope blood test which picks up any kind of foreign test, usada does not use this to my knowledge.
Another thing is usuada can be a weird thing, the whole iv problem with floyd mayweather raises a red flag for me.
I really hope the ufc isn't abusing this program to manipulate their market. Of course its said ufc has no involvement but im not so quick to pass things off, after this whole yoel romero incident im not so convinced.

good...

according to nate diaz, if they were any better we would have no fights

Preferred testing agency notwithstanding, you have consider that you're referencing an organization that has shown a willingness to suppress a positive result in order to save a card. After the Belfort/Jones scandal, it seems to me that all bets are off...

Oh christ here we go.
Vada much harder to cheat their standard uses a carbon isotope blood test which picks up any kind of foreign test, usada does not use this to my knowledge..
USADA does do CIR testing.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tails-of-usada-controlled-anti-doping-program

A lot of info came out about VADA during the whole Hendricks vs. GSP WADA vs. VADA saga and it was made pretty clear that VADA and WADA are ahead of USADA, but USADA uses WADAs banned substances list.

WADA doesn't do any testing. They're effectively a standards body. VADA and USADA both comply with WADA standards, and use the same labs for their tests: UCLA, SMRTL, etc.

They should only test fighters that go to decision. Bet we'd get a 50% increase in finishes.

Moreover, jones had no right to complain after producing a suspicious sample that was consistent, quantitatively speaking, with the use of estrogen/aromatase inhibitors.

I think the thing with all of this is that it's really all about the appearance of being tough on PEDs. So I think that the reality is that the UFC wants to look like they're cracking down on PEDs and if they catch some cheaters here and there then that's great.
This is the technique the NFL has used successfully for decades.

So if WADA doesn't do testing then why was Johny Hendricks making such a stink about using them?
Because Hendricks doesn't know what he's talking about, that's why Georges was facepalming during press conferences.

Moreover, jones had no right to complain after producing a suspicious sample that was consistent, quantitatively speaking, with the use of estrogen/aromatase inhibitors.

yeah people are quick to forget his fishy results

This is the technique the NFL has used successfully for decades.

I think it's the only thing that makes business sense. It really is ridiculous for fans to just expect the promotions/league to spend a butt load of money just to suspend their athletes so that they can no longer make money off of them!

Because Hendricks doesn't know what he's talking about, that's why Georges was facepalming during press conferences.

Wow that is pretty crazy! Thanks for the heads up on that. Maybe it was all just to get out of VADA.

I think it's the only thing that makes business sense. It really is ridiculous for fans to just expect the promotions/league to spend a butt load of money just to suspend their athletes so that they can no longer make money off of them!

Wow that is pretty crazy! Thanks for the heads up on that. Maybe it was all just to get out of VADA.

WADA doesn't do tests, but USADA and VADA both conduct tests to WADA's standards, by using WADA accredited labs.

So if WADA doesn't do testing then why was Johny Hendricks making such a stink about using them?
He wanted the commission to set up WADA-level testing. He didn't want to work with VADA because he believed they were in business with GSP.

I found this interesting as well. Someone above mentioned the mayweather fight. He also talks about the costs of the testing.

Back