UFC Ranking Bogus

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I know we all know this already but after looking on their website there are a lot of fighters ranked too high or too low. Here are just a few (some are subjective but I'm going based on their performances and caliber of wins.

Kelvin Gastelum > Gunnar Nelson

Carlos Condit > Matt Brown/Hector Lombard (Condit has lost 3/4 beating unranked Kampmann. Lost against good fighters but idk how losing 3 times to good fighters keeps you at rank 4).

Gray Maynard > Myles Jury Michael Johnson Rustam Khabilov Edson Barboza (GM won 1/3, 3 losses being by devastating KO

Frankie Edgar (2)> rest of division

Then there are just a bunch of fighters that have not fought in over a year yet are still highly ranked (even though Diaz got taken off due to inactivity). Just looking at these ranking in depth had me scratching me hear and there are a lot more messed up ranks that I didn't feel like posting.

I love the rankings. It gives everybody something to bitch about while they wait for another v-blog from father Dana.

Stop reading when I seen war Diaz at the bottom

Well that is at the bottom. Glad you read the whole post ;) Unless you read from bottom to top

No I seen it with out reading :p ... But i agree with ufc bs ranking..but u have to understand this ufc media ranking. The media are a joke it's biased on who they like or is popular. It's not a true ranking like most sites. I don't think any other sites have honda civic ranked on there p4p sites.

Well that is at the bottom. Glad you read the whole post ;) Unless you read from bottom to top

Wait... I thought we were all supposed to read from bottom to top... My mind has been blown.

But yeah, UFC ranking/HOF is and always will be a joke unless Rumble is ranked from HW to WW and if they add Frank Shamrock to the HOF.

Ufc rankings are a joke. But I guess it gives us something to talk about

In b4 myself

Wait... I thought we were all supposed to read from bottom to top... My mind has been blown.

But yeah, UFC ranking/HOF is and always will be a joke unless Rumble is ranked from HW to WW and if they add Frank Shamrock to the HOF.

Why would they rank Rumbe in divisions he's not even competing in anymore? That's like ranking Dan Henderson at 185lbs still, or Urijah Faber at 145lbs. Frank Shamrock needs to be in the HOF, though.

Don't even check the rankings anymore. I feel like it keeps getting worse.

Carlos Condit > Matt Brown/Hector Lombard (Condit has lost 3/4 beating unranked Kampmann. Lost against good fighters but idk how losing 3 times to good fighters keeps you at rank 4).

Condit lost to both GSP and Hendricks, big deal. Who knows how the Woodley fight would have ended up without the ligament snap, but it wasn't looking good for Condit.

No doubt Lombard should be ranked ahead of him, but Matt Brown no. Brown hasn't even come close to the competition that Condit has had to face. People need to stop eating up the Brown hype it's being force fed to you. Anyone in the top 5 is a horrible matchup for Brown. Brown has faced poor competition for the entirety of his UFC stay.

Just like Bisping, Brown will fail against legitimate top competition. Brown is a gatekeeper. Nothing wrong with it, it's one of the most important positions in mma.

No I seen it with out reading :p ... But i agree with ufc bs ranking..but u have to understand this ufc media ranking. The media are a joke it's biased on who they like or is popular. It's not a true ranking like most sites. I don't think any other sites have honda civic ranked on there p4p sites.

How did you know what it was if you saw it but didn't read it?

Do you know how these rankings are generated?

Why is your name MMA professional?

I know we all know this already but after looking on their website there are a lot of fighters ranked too high or too low. Here are just a few (some are subjective but I'm going based on their performances and caliber of wins.

Gray Maynard > Myles Jury Michael Johnson Rustam Khabilov Edson Barboza (GM won 1/3, 3 losses being by devastating KO

Then there are just a bunch of fighters that have not fought in over a year yet are still highly ranked (even though Diaz got taken off due to inactivity). Just looking at these ranking in depth had me scratching me hear and there are a lot more messed up ranks that I didn't feel like posting.

Kampmann was ranked when Condit beat him. Brown has not beat anyone ranked at WW

They're close enough. There's more right to them than there is wrong. Some fighters have a popularity bump. Some stand on their past accomplishments more than their current ones. Switching classes usually ends up with being ranked too low at both. But for the most part it gives us a good idea of where fighters sit. That's all it needs to be.

Last edited:
Why should Lombard be ranked high? The guy lost to Tim Boetsch less than two years ago (whether you agree with the decision or not) and Okami a year ago (same thing). I think that's a lot worse than losing to GSP and Hendricks

Don't bitch to the UFC. They are just reporting the cumulative rankings from all the media members. Instead go back to the ranking site and under "voter panelists" look at what each media member voted individually. Then you can see which members are legit and which are fucking idiots. For example, Jani from fight magazine still lists Barao over Dillashaw in p4p.

Why should Lombard be ranked high? The guy lost to Tim Boetsch less than two years ago (whether you agree with the decision or not) and Okami a year ago (same thing). I think that's a lot worse than losing to GSP and Hendricks

Probably because those losses were at Middleweight, which has absolutely no bearing on Welterweight rankings? Lombard has posted two ultra dominant performances at 170lbs, one of which came over a near consensus top 5 Jake Shields.

The UFC don't go by media rankings.

It's a lie. Did the media all decide Nate was too inactive randomly at the same time that Nate and Dana's little drama happened? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Fighters some how are ranked top 10 a few months before they headline or main card a card.

The UFC rankings are made by the UFC.

If you watch Ariel's show with the other journos at the table, none of them agree with the UFC rankings. That's 6 or so of some of the bigger guys in MMA media. SBNation websites, Sherdog, MMAJunkie, etc. all have different rankings than the UFC.

So what media are doing these rankings?

Back