UFC/Pride Lightweight Champions with least-to-most Top 10 ranked wins at Lightweight.

Gomi would tie Khabib up like a pretzel confirmed

BeFunky_combat-wrestling-gomi.jpg.jpg

Who needs 'Dagestani Handcuffs' when you have the 'Unit 731 Experimental Corkscrew Tentacle Device'
Dat knee

Did Marcus Aurelio get his ranking, after beating Gomi?
Aurelio was #4 prior to his first fight against Gomi.

Thank you for this, of course some of the names could be debated but its great that you compiled this from FightMatrix instead of your own opinion. For the newer fans, puts into context some of the resumes of the older champs
There isn't any other way to really do this type of thing unless you're going through a single source throughout the entire process, otherwise it becomes inconsistent, and I certainly didn't want to insert my own subjectivity into the selection process.

I appreciate the effort but some wins are missing.
Which wins are missing from FightMatrix? I'll happily add them if I missed it.

Just did this for an FYI.

Ferguson's resume (based on FightMatrix):

#2 Rafael dos Anjos
#8 Kevin Lee
#6 Anthony Pettis
#4 Donald Cerrone

Sato was 18-4-1 and had defeated Yves Edwards by the time he fought Gomi.
Mishima was 11-1-2 when he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat fighters like Masakazu Imanari and Marcus Aurelio.
Gracie was 6-0 and had defeated the aforementioned Mishima by the time he fought Gomi.
Pulver was 18-4-1 and the former UFC Lightweight Champion when he fought Gomi.
Kawajiri was 15-2-2 and had defeated Luiz Firmino, Vitor Ribeiro, and Yves Edwards by the time he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat Joachim Hansen, Gesias Cavalcante, and Josh Thomson.
Sakurai was 27-6-2 and had defeated Joachim Hansen, Jens Pulver, Shinya Aoki, Takase and Azeredo (who'd both defeated Anderson Silva) by the time he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat Shinya Aoki.
Aurelio was 14-3 and was rematching Gomi after having defeated him.
Ishida was 14-2-1 and had defeated Aurelio by the time he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat fighters like Gilbert Melendez.

giphy.gif

THIS

Aurelio was #4 prior to his first fight against Gomi.

There isn't any other way to really do this type of thing unless you're going through a single source throughout the entire process, otherwise it becomes inconsistent, and I certainly didn't want to insert my own subjectivity into the selection process.

Which wins are missing from FightMatrix? I'll happily add them if I missed it.

I posted that before I had realized you were using FM. Fair enough. I love threads like this. Good work.

TS - I just logged on but I am already going to declare this as easily the best thread of the day

very informative. well reasoned. & you responded to all questions in a clear and unemotional way.

thanks again. threads like this make Sherdog worthwhile

Yeah but thats kinda my point, there was t that many LWs in the world so obviously any of them that were fighting would be deemed some of the best LWs in the world and therefore would get higher rankings.

Theres some great wins in there but Gomi is top of that list but has one of the weaker resumes compared to others on the list still, hes top purely because of the infancy of the sport when he was fighting.

There were a bunch of LWs in the world, they were just split up between Pride, WEC, Strikeforce, Elite XC and K-1 Heroes. Pride had the vast majority of the best LWs though. I wouldn't say the 2000s was the infancy of the sport at all, that was more like the beginning of the modern era of MMA.

Healy was ranked #10 when Khabib fought him

t7O36XX.png

Some of those ranks are questionable btw. How was Chandler #4 when Alvarez fought him?

Chandler was 4th when he fought Alvarez the second time cause he beat Alvarez who was ranked 4th or better.

Franca was #22 at the time; likely due to him being inactive for over a year, which was enough time for him to drop and others to move up. When Franca fought Sherk a year prior, he was only at #10 at the time, so he fell 12 ranks over the span of a year.

Healy was #14 at the time.
Felder was #11 at the time.
Chandler jumped up in the rankings after he defeated Alvarez back in November of 2011.

Henderson was #14 when he first lost to Pettis.

Cerrone was #15 when he first lost to RDA.

Dunham was #15 when he lost to Sherk.

I was using Sherdog's rankings IMO they are better than fightmatrix. Sherdog had Cerrone as 10th when RDA beat him the first time, I thought Henderson was top 10 when he lost the first time to Pettis but Sherdog had him in the 11-15 range.

I was using Sherdog's rankings IMO they are better than fightmatrix.
Sherdog didn't even separate Welterweights from Lightweights as far back as I was going for many of the fighters in this thread, so how exactly could I use those so-called "better" rankings to make this thread? Not only are they not better, they're seriously flawed.

Sherdog didn't even separate Welterweights from Lightweights as far back as I was going for many of the fighters in this thread, so how exactly could I use those so-called "better" rankings to make this thread? Not only are they not better, they're seriously flawed.

In comparable situations I think they are better(when they separate WW and LW rankings and you can find rankings from the same times) but the archives don't always work and don't go back as far.

Just did this for an FYI.

Ferguson's resume (based on FightMatrix):

#2 Rafael dos Anjos
#8 Kevin Lee
#6 Anthony Pettis
#4 Donald Cerrone

Sato was 18-4-1 and had defeated Yves Edwards by the time he fought Gomi.
Mishima was 11-1-2 when he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat fighters like Masakazu Imanari and Marcus Aurelio.
Gracie was 6-0 and had defeated the aforementioned Mishima by the time he fought Gomi.
Pulver was 18-4-1 and the former UFC Lightweight Champion when he fought Gomi.
Kawajiri was 15-2-2 and had defeated Luiz Firmino, Vitor Ribeiro, and Yves Edwards by the time he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat Joachim Hansen, Gesias Cavalcante, and Josh Thomson.
Sakurai was 27-6-2 and had defeated Joachim Hansen, Jens Pulver, Shinya Aoki, Takase and Azeredo (who'd both defeated Anderson Silva) by the time he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat Shinya Aoki.
Aurelio was 14-3 and was rematching Gomi after having defeated him.
Ishida was 14-2-1 and had defeated Aurelio by the time he fought Gomi and would later go on to defeat fighters like Gilbert Melendez.

giphy.gif
Boom

Cans beating other cans in regards to Gomis "top" wins

Pretty sad when people such as yourself are proud of their own ignorance. Unfortunately that's a good chunk of the human race.
It’s almost always 2015 or later join dates, as well.
There were a bunch of LWs in the world, they were just split up between Pride, WEC, Strikeforce, Elite XC and K-1 Heroes. Pride had the vast majority of the best LWs though. I wouldn't say the 2000s was the infancy of the sport at all, that was more like the beginning of the modern era of MMA.
Pride also drew mostly from Shooto, which is where everybody under welterweight went to get fights.

In comparable situations I think they are better(when they separate WW and LW rankings and you can find rankings from the same times) but the archives don't always work and don't go back as far.
But the thing is, how Sherdog picks their rankings is never going to be consistent, at least with FightMatrix is always done the same way.

Just for the sake of it, I pulled up the Lightweight rankings from April 2008 and compared Sherdog with FightMatrix; yellow text means a fighter isn't on both lists.

FightMatrix
1. Takanori Gomi
2. BJ Penn
3. Gesias Cavalcante
4. Sean Sherk
5. Mitsuhiro Ishida
Shinya Aoki
7. Kenny Florian
Roger Huerta
9. Frankie Edgar
10. Tatsuya Kawajiri

https://www.fightmatrix.com/histori...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=74&Division=5

Sherdog
1. Takanori Gomi
2. Gesias Cavalcante
3. Mitsuhiro Ishida

4. BJ Penn
5. Gilbert Melendez
6. Tatsuya Kawajiri
7. Vitor Ribeiro
8. Sean Sherk
9. Joe Stevenson
10. Kenny Florian

https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/6/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-12435

FightMatrix is 80% similar to Sherdog's list, but being determined the same way every single time makes FightMatrix superior.

Boom

It’s almost always 2015 or later join dates, as well.

Pride also drew mostly from Shooto, which is where everybody under welterweight went to get fights.

Yeah because the before every mma fan watches their first fight they join sherdog. Nobody gives a fuck how long you've been here. Gomi fought in a shallow LW division. Soon as he ledt the minor leagues he went 4-9

Back