UFC Press Event (PED Event) Discussion (Video)

Yea. Testing for their events shouldn't be an issue, there are WADA accredited labs on every continent, close to most places they'd be holding events. This was in response to Lorenzo or Laurence's comment that Brazil had several WADA certified labs though.

Yeah, I know. Fertitta got that wrong.

Depends where you are in Brazil--that's sort of like saying the USA is right next door to Canada, yeah if you're in Maine, not if you're in Texas.

That's exactly how it is. 6 hour jet trip one way at max to get some piss and blood. No big deal.

Yeah, I know. Fertitta got that wrong.

That's exactly how it is. 6 hour jet trip one way at max to get some piss and blood. No big deal.

Logistically you have to pay a professional person to hop on a plane to a foreign country and hop back. Not cheap, not easy.

Freedom of contract permits fighters to sign onto discretionary bans from the organization/competition if they take illegal performance enhancing drugs. There is freedom of contract and a court isn't going to be sympathetic to allowing a person who tests for steroids to revoke a contract based on equitable unconscionability/labor argument.

Regardless, even if they can weasel out of the UFC based on some unconscionability argument they'd still have to fight for Bellator/ B leagues and UFC should be more interested in retaining the integrity of the brand than in retaining their cheating athletes.

Epstein spoke to that and said they are working on strengthening the contracts with fighters to give the UFC that type of authority.

Logistically you have to pay a professional person to hop on a plane to a foreign country and hop back. Not cheap, not easy.

That's subjective. It's cheap actually if you're worth billions like Lorenzo and trying to protect his investment and integrity of the company. I hear what you're saying though.

i think the fighters having confidence that their opponents will be clean will lead to less fighters regardless of the fact they dont wand to get caught themselves

i c u, i c what u did there bro, haha

I just find it funny how readily people will gobble up a PR strategy. In my humble opinion this is more about winning back hearts and minds. It may well be robust at the start but the default is to be distrustful and skeptical of motivation and truthfulness when the powerful promise something from which they stand to lose.

It seems to me, that the most reasonable strategy is for UFC to commit to vague standards to put out the ongoing fire on their name and to later temper those commitments as time passes. I have seen this strategy play out many times in the past--don't be surprised if similar happens here.
Dude you are so off base here.

The sporting world is ill-equipped to deal with it's PED epidemic. The Ufc are having to drag the Las Vegas Commission up to speed & are putting their money where their mouths are in helping to fund the expedition of it. Never mind all the other amateur provincial Commissions scattered throughout the combat sport world

The whole sporting world is drowning in PED filth and yet there are still only 1 or 2 regulators that are equipped to properly fullfill a legit Dope testing regimen.

The legal ramifications are also what is significantly hampering the expedition of this too. The Ufc are steadfast in not allowing a Fighters Union get it's nose in the trough & extort it with cumbersome collective bargaining type legal tumors.

I missed the live event. Is the video available somewhere?

Dude you are so off base here.

The sporting world is ill-equipped to deal with it's PED epidemic. The Ufc are having to drag Commisissions up to speed & are putting their money where their mouths are in helping to fund the expedition of it.

The sporting world is drowning in PED filth and yet there are still only 1 or 2 regulators that are equipped to properly fullfill a legit Dope testing regimen.

The legal ramifications are what is hampering the expedition of this. The Ufc are steadfast in not allowing a Fighters Union get it's nose in the trough & extort it with cumbersome collective bargaining type legal tumors.

"extort it [for] collective bargaining type legal tumors"--you mean bargain for their actual worth to the company?

"putting their money where their mouths are"--maybe so, let's wait and see.

who knows but im a skeptic!

"extort it [for] collective bargaining type legal tumors"--you mean bargain for their actual worth to the company?

"putting their money where their mouths are"--maybe so, let's wait and see.

who knows but im a skeptic!
Dude, history has shown us that Unions are as corrupt as the Multi-National's they wish to infest.

Just another economic tumor the consumer has to foot the bill for.

I think they do that for tests in the U.S., don't they?

Yea, I doubt they're hauling the sample from Vegas or wherever to SLC in a truck. There's the border issue too, but it's easy enough to work with that if they make arrangements ahead of time.

But even in the US, they're not doing all of their testing in WADA accredited labs. The US has UCLA and SMRTL. Lombard's failed test was done by Quest Diagnostics in Kansas. This is OK (IMO) depending on what other certifications the lab has. WADA accreditation is based on a couple of ISO certifications and applying to WADA. If they still have those ISO certifications, but haven't applied to WADA, it doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing.

edit: Lombard's lab report:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9qbQ3xFsQDpcGFxU3l1MTRQSnM/view

Amusingly, when you go to Quest's website and look up the accreditations, you get an empty list.

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/about/locations/licenses-accreditations.html

Last edited:
Four year bans sound impossible. It's just them over-promising and under-delivering. An actual four year ban would never stand under legal scrutiny. Regardless of PED violation, imagine someone going without income for four years. Yeah, right.

Plus they are issued by athletic commissions and not the company. It's just PR talk until they try to implement anything.

Four year bans sound impossible. It's just them over-promising and under-delivering. An actual four year ban would never stand under legal scrutiny.

Legal scrutiny? of course it would. Its a sport.

Besides, 4 years would be in line with the WADA code, so the pre-existing precident is already there

Four year bans sound impossible. It's just them over-promising and under-delivering. An actual four year ban would never stand under legal scrutiny. Regardless of PED violation, imagine someone going without income for four years. Yeah, right.

Plus they are issued by athletic commissions and not the company. It's just PR talk until they try to implement anything.

You realize that fighting in the UFC isn't a right, right? And that outside of the major leagues, a 4 year ban is the norm right now for a first offence?

You realize that fighting in the UFC isn't a right, right? And that outside of the major leagues, a 4 year ban is the norm right now for a first offence?

I'm only aware of the majors. Outside of Muhammad Ali, I'm not aware of a professional ban that stood for four years. And Ali was for draft dodging, which is a different can of worms. What reasonable person would vote for four years because of PEDs?

Once you institute four years, you're essentially forcing the fighter to retire. There's no way they can actively train for four years with no revenue to justify it, so they'll stop. They can still be a coach or a training partner, but that won't be much.

Legal scrutiny? of course it would. Its a sport.

Besides, 4 years would be in line with the WADA code, so the pre-existing precident is already there

WADA is a legal entity, now? Show me the court precedent.

I'm only aware of the majors. Outside of Muhammad Ali, I'm not aware of a professional ban that stood for four years. And Ali was for draft dodging, which is a different can of worms. What reasonable person would vote for four years because of PEDs?

Once you institute four years, you're essentially forcing the fighter to retire. There's no way they can actively train for four years with no revenue to justify it, so they'll stop. They can still be a coach or a training partner, but that won't be much.

Here's a solution: don't fucking cheat. They know the penalty. They're effectively being given 5 months to get clean. If they don't, too fucking bad.

Fighting in the UFC/Bellator/WSOF isn't a right. If I go to work in the oil patch, and get shitcanned from the industry for failing a drug screen, it's no different.

I think the Ufc are hoping for Olympic standard type protocols such as a 2yr ban for a first failed test, 4yrs ban for a second failed test & a lifetime ban for your third failed test.

List of doping cases in athletics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_athletics

Back