UFC PPV buys in 2012 vs. previous 5 years (with numbers)

The Best Around

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
This is all per Dave Meltzer:

2007: 10 shows, 4,660,000 buys, average of 466,000
2008: 13 shows, 6,885,000 buys, average of 530,000
2009: 13 shows, 7,755,000 buys, average of 595,000
2010: 15 shows, 8,970,000 buys, average of 598,000
2011: 15 shows, 5,950,000 buys, average of 397,000
2012: 13 shows, 6,025,000 buys, average of 463,000

2009 & 2010 were killer years obviously. 2009 had UFC 100 and then 2010 had two Lesnar title fights and the Rashad/Rampage fight. 2012 was better than 2011 but on total buys (two less shows) and average.

Brock seems to be a big factor. Also the fact that the TUF Brazil finale was a PPV probably lowered the average.
Considering the money they are getting from the Fox deal and the deal with Globo in Brazil, I think the UFC is doing fine.

Thanks TS, its nice to see averages as well for a change.

I can definitely see the sport moving away from the PPV model in the next couple of years.

Good to see the numbers are up, especially after all of the last minute fights that were made because of injuries. This was a bad year, but the numbers seem okay.

GSP only fought twice in the last 2 years, big factor too.

almost the same avg as 2007.

i would have thought some of the new fans during the lesnar years would have stuck around

They're far better numbers than I imagined. If you add in the incredible figures from Brazil, and the growing international exposure in Australia, Britain etc, 2012 has been a fairly successful year for the UFC; on the back of some horrible injury problems.

If 2013 is a smooth year, we could see some figures closer to that of 2009-10. Especially with fighters like GSP back full time

Good post. Would have gotten a lot more if the Bones/Hendo fiasco didn't happen. I don't think that the UFC can be judged just on PPV buys anymore now that there are so many fuel/fx/fox shows as well.

They're far better numbers than I imagined. If you add in the incredible figures from Brazil, and the growing international exposure in Australia, Britain etc, 2012 has been a fairly successful year for the UFC; on the back of some horrible injury problems.

If 2013 is a smooth year, we could see some figures closer to that of 2009-10. Especially with fighters like GSP back full time

there are still a lack of big stars.

jones is solid, gsp is though his draw has lessened, silva can draw at times.

there is no one else. the avg isn't coming back to the 09-10 numbers, not even close.

they get 100 million dollar per year from fox now
how many ppv would make that money

and I wonder how much money zuffa get from globo and combate tv
millions of brazilians watch ufc

there are still a lack of big stars.

jones is solid, gsp is though his draw has lessened, silva can draw at times.

there is no one else. the avg isn't coming back to the 09-10 numbers, not even close.

I don't think that's true.

This year we should see GSP vs Diaz, then potentially GSP vs Condit 2, or another WW title shot - after 18 months away, GSP may have lost some interest, but that doesn't mean he is a lesser draw. Give him another fight first.

Right there is about 1.5 Million buys, possibly more depending on the attention the Diaz fight gets (that right there could get nearly 1 million buys)

We have Sonnen vs Bones lined up, with the TUF exposure, that again could generate close to 1 million buys.

Frankie Edgar vs Aldo should generate at least 450,000-500,000 buys.

Cain vs Overeem would be huge, that again could pull nearly 800,000 buys.

Anderson Silva vs Bisping would draw strong numbers. Bisping is one of those guys people pay to watch get beat and Silva is a far stronger draw for the UFC now than he's ever been.

We have no idea how Ronda Rousey will do...that alone may generate huge numbers (Freakshow or not, people may tune in to see it).

This year could be very interesting, there is a good chance the end of 2013 will show a good figure

This year we should see GSP vs Diaz, then potentially GSP vs Condit 2, or another WW title shot - after 18 months away, GSP may have lost some interest, but that doesn't mean he is a lesser draw. Give him another fight first.

Right there is about 1.5 Million buys, possibly more depending on the attention the Diaz fight gets (that right there could get nearly 1 million buys)

We have Sonnen vs Bones lined up, with the TUF exposure, that again could generate close to 1 million buys.

Anderson Silva vs Bisping would draw strong numbers. Bisping is one of those guys people pay to watch get beat and Silva is a far stronger draw for the UFC now than he's ever been.

We have no idea how Ronda Rousey will do...that alone may generate huge numbers (Freakshow or not, people may tune in to see it).

This year could be very interesting, there is a good chance the end of 2013 will show a good figure

aldo and edgar have never been draws.

overeem-brock did 600k at a NYE show, so he is clearly not a massive draw, and i doubt cain is going to become one.

i do agree that gsp-diaz, sonnen-jones, and maybe silva-bisping will do well.

have serious doubts that rousey will be a draw.

Aldo/Edgar will around do 275,000. Jones/Sonnen around 425,000

Aldo/Edgar will around do 275,000. Jones/Sonnen around 425,000

425,000? Come on. The exposure those two will get, anything less that 800,000 would be a failure.

Aldo/Edgar could go either way, I agree. But I think there is more interest in this fight than any either of those two have had before, just due to them both being champions at somepoint and it being billed as a superfight.

It's all speculation at this point, but I'm far more optimistic for 2013 than I was for 2012

So in other words, not that bad.
Imagine if Aldo-Edgar happened.
If UFC 151 wasnt cancelled.
If Overeem passed his drug test.
If 149 didnt suck.
And all the other mishaps in 2012, could've been a great year.

Back