UFC Lightweight James Vick Slams Women's BW Division, Fighter Angela Magana responds

then you look up (shudder)

Meet-the-Strawweights-Angela-Magana_502014_OpenGraphImage.png

She looks like someone combined Jennifer Lawrence and Tong Po.

Well... she's more famous because of her ass than because of her fighting! So her biggest talent might be expelling great amounts of shit, more than actually winning fights.

Well, maybe I'm mistaken about what marketability means, but I'll stick to my opinion anyway. I think the "Karate Hottie" is the kind of fighter that could bring the UFC a lot of exposure by doing more photo shoots and appearing on talk shows etc. More so than Gadelha.

pretty sure the Sherdog definition of marketability is who has the most twitter followers.

Waterson: 31,500 followers
Gadelha: 24,900 followers

so according to Sherdog logic, Gadelha is only 79% as marketable as Waterson lol. meanwhile, poor James Vick is only 30.7% as marketable as Magana. he should probably start squatting more often.

but seriously...Waterson is WAY more marketable (esp. in the US).

I honestly have no idea who either of these people are but Vick is spot on here.

This is what happens when you pretend women are on the same level and give them the same platform as men.

Nobody gives a shit about her boxing and she barely uses it in MMA anyways. Ronda is going to break Holly H. so hard that Bethe is probably going to feel sorry for her.

Rousey is going to walk right through that pitter patter sparring shit that Holm throws and dump her straight on her head...or KO her on the feet with strikes lol.

All he's saying is that the division is weak. Besides...we all know that title shots in the UFC aren't always given out on merit.

I think Rousey takes it fairly easily. I don't see Holm having the TDD and defense on the ground needed to survive a round with Rousey.

That said, I think if Rousey tries to walk through her she is going to get tagged.

So when people tune-in to watch the match, will you still claim that "nobody" wants to see it? Yes, it's a shit match-up, but there is no need to be intellectually dishonest when assessing whether or not the match-up is marketable.

Vick is much harder to push than Holm. Magana's point is credible.

No, her point is invalid. Vick and Holm's relative marketability is immaterial. Holm's fight is marketable because of who her opponent is. If you match Vick up with CM Punk, I guarantee that fight will sell like crazy. Does that prove that Vick is a marketable entity? Hell, if you were to substitute Vick in Holm's place, he and Ronda will smash the UFC PPV record. Could I thusly conclude that Vick is a marketing dynamo on that basis?

Vick is correctly asserting that it's a shallow talent pool at women's BW. Ronda has beaten Tate twice. Eye just lost to Tate. Rogan's new girl crush, Amanda Nunes, got mollywhopped last year by a chick that Ronda arm barred in 15 seconds. Until Cyborg comes aboard and/or the skill level picks up, every title fight is going to be a glorified execution. Hell, a Cyborg fight might not even be competitive but at least she's shown herself to be a credible threat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back