UFC just torpedos whoever they want to a Title Shot, Rankings be damned

The OP does make one valid point though. Khabib was the best LW in the world long before he won the belt. It was a little odd that it took so long for him to get a title shot. IIRC, he had some poorly timed injuries though. Or his ranked opponent would pull out and then he fought some schmuck on short notice.

Edwards couldn't get a fight signed. Khamzat is willing to take it. Let them bang. Edwards either gets to crush a wrestler and prove he has improved enough to rematch the champ or Khamzat shows the hype is truly real.

Didn't Leon lose his ranking due to inactivity? I think this is just a matchup of guys that no one else wants to fight
Brian Ortega didn't fight for two years and never lost his ranking. Leon fought more recently than him (not counting last weekend's Ortega-Korean Zombie fight). UFC is not consistent which makes it seem like they are trying to manipulate Leon into doing what they want.

I like this torpedoing tbh.

I hate boxing feeding peoples can approach.

You want a title shot go beat up some guys and ask for one.

Rankings were never a thing in the UFC and never will be one. Tourney style is only legit thing but people dont like it so deal with it.
But why should a much higher ranked guy accept unranked guy

Khamzat is above the rankings, as he should be.

JJy2tks.gif

Khamzat is 3-0 in the UFC against cans, and now he is facing Leon, who is arguably the #1 contender. Meaning he'll get a title shot next.

While fighters like Khabib had to string massive 10 fight dominant winstreaks before sniffing the title.

Next time someone says Title Defenses are the only metric for greatness, remind them that the path to the title matters just as much

has that fight been announced? I must have missed it. what a great fight. a huge test for Khamzat.

They extorted Edwards into taking the fight. They removed him from the rankings entirely. The second he agrees, he’s magically reinserted back at number 3. That’s some really shady shit.

I like Borz, but because of this BS. I’m really hoping Edwards wins. Borz just skipped over the entire roster except 3 guys. That ain’t right.

think of it this way....if khamzat isn't ready, he'll lose...right? if he beats edwards, then that means, he deserves whatever he gets after that....he'll deserve a title shot, if he can beat edwards.

think of it this way....if khamzat isn't ready, he'll lose...right? if he beats edwards, then that means, he deserves whatever he gets after that....he'll deserve a title shot, if he can beat edwards.

It’s not about whether a guy is good enough or not. It’s about all the guys toiling for years to attain their ranking. And just being passed right up by a guy who hasn’t even had a fight in the top 100 or 200 or whatever the number actually is in the WW division.

It ain’t right.

Its always been that way if you got Danas favor. What's not to like for a promoter - anytime - anywhere - any weight and doesnt balk at pay scale. He's gonna fight out his 4 fight contract in 3 months total.

Next time someone says Title Defenses are the only metric for greatness, remind them that the path to the title matters just as much
I feel like if Usman keeps winning, this will be a key factor in the GSP vs Usman debate.

Khamzat is 3-0 in the UFC against cans, and now he is facing Leon, who is arguably the #1 contender. Meaning he'll get a title shot next.
Well khabib is now the biggest star and they are a fixture in a muslim country now (the ufc) - guess they want to milk it for what it's worth.

But why should a much higher ranked guy accept unranked guy
Because he has hype. I know people love ranked systems(totally made up by UFC for whatever serves thier needs). But in reality you want to fight the guy that will bring the most eyeballs.

While fighters like Khabib had to string massive 10 fight dominant winstreaks before sniffing the title.

except that in title defenses, you aren't fighting cans. You're fighting top guys. If you make it to the top and stay there, that's greatness, regardless of what came before. You could go 100-0 before reaching a ranked guy, but if you lose to the ranked guy, you don't belong there. A defending champion belongs there.

Hazmat is the best thing to come around in a while.

Fuck it.

ride the wave.

Back