UFC just signed new heavyweight Francis Ngannou, 28 years old and explosive

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/1...ma-lightweight-yusuke-kasuya-vs-hein-mma-news

Something seems to have clicked lately with the UFC and its desperate need for more talent in the heavier divisions. They've brought in three new light heavyweights in the last month and now they've got a new heavyweight talent coming over from the well regarded French Crossfight camp. Ngannou's signing was announced via Facebook and reported on MMADeferlante.com. From the sound of it, the heavyweight is on a 4-fight deal and is expected to make his debut sometime in or around December of this year.

What you should expect:

He's raw. That's the first thing to know. The second thing is, at 6' 4" 250 lbs of pure fast twitch muscle Ngannou looks like the basic answer to the question of "What if you gave X NFL defensive end some sprawl training and some BJJ classes?" He's huge, strong as an ox, looks ridiculously fast and light on his feet, and has the basics of a developing MMA game. I've seen some video of him in no-gi grappling tourneys and he looks... huge and dynamic. As for actual ring craft goes, he mostly seems to square up in the pocket and sling leather at people. He's got power, the fact that he didn't get KO'd by Cisse suggests he's got a good chin, so now it's just about how much he can grow his technical game while fighting other big tough dudes.

To get us better acquainted, here's his recent bout against Luc Ngeleka:

An athletic HW in his 20s, plus he seems to have some decent skills.

Intredasting........

Crossfight are producing a lot of solid fighters recently. Definitely a great camp for European fighters to train.

Who are these people he beat? Nobodies. This is not 1993, who still gets hyped by big muscles? Wait til he actually fights someone worth a damn before you get excited.

Who are these people he beat? Nobodies. This is not 1993, who still gets hyped by big muscles? Wait til he actually fights someone worth a damn before you get excited.

You have to remember that this is HW we're talking about. If it were a LW or WW fighter of course no one would give a shit. But given how shallow the HW division is, even a guy like Ngannou has a serious chance of becoming a top 10 HW

lets see Francis Ngannou VS Meathead

This is 2015 in the HW division, many people get hyped for having big muscles.

You have to remember that this is HW we're talking about. If it were a LW or WW fighter of course no one would give a shit. But given how shallow the HW division is, even a guy like Ngannou has a serious chance of becoming a top 10 HW

Top 10? So what? Frank Mir is around top 10, Big Foot is around top 10. I have no interest in another Frank Mir or Big Foot calibre fighter who will never touch the title. It's going to be the same old Cain/JDS/Werdum rematches unless there's someone who seriously stir up the division, and without seeing this guy fight at least once in the UFC I fail to see why anyone should get excited.

100-Fight-24_Bakary-El-Anwar_MMA4Fight.jpg

KHK-MMA_Victoire-Ngannou-VS-Baldutti_Bahrein.jpg

6'4", 250lbs? He's like a bigger Cheick Kongo.

Maybe they'll groom this guy as a prospect like Magny, instead of throwing him to the wolves and cutting him after 2 consecutive losses.

...Nah.

I hope they groom this guy, he seems to have potential, I hope they don't sling him in there with guys like Rosholt, he loses 2 and gets cut.

UFC finally found a replacement for Cheick Kongo

Top 10? So what? Frank Mir is around top 10, Big Foot is around top 10. I have no interest in another Frank Mir or Big Foot calibre fighter who will never touch the title. It's going to be the same old Cain/JDS/Werdum rematches unless there's someone who seriously stir up the division, and without seeing this guy fight at least once in the UFC I fail to see why anyone should get excited.

someone needs a hug

What does "the basics of a developing MMA game" mean? Basics, developing MMA game at 28?

he'll end up just like todd duffee...he'll blast some cans and then get crushed by fighters with actual skill

Back