News UFC Heavyweight Championship (By the Numbers)

How many fights did early UFC champs have overall? It was a free for all back then. And a guy like Randy was champ with no real MMA experience. Same with Randleman, Smith, Coleman, literally all first gen MMA fighters. Champs with no MMA experience overall at the times of their UFC titles. Once people got MMA experience they disappeared.

Nice compilation of stats, but it doesn't really tell the whole story.

I mean, how many HWs at that height/weight have come and gone and never got close to a title?

Last edited:
How many fights did early UFC champs have overall? It was a free for all back then. And a guy like Randy was champ with no real MMA experience. Same with Randleman, Smith, Coleman, literally all first gen MMA fighters. Champs with no MMA experience overall at the times of their UFC titles. Once people got MMA experience they disappeared.

Well, in Randy and Coleman and Smith's case, they all got old (though Randy had a run at 40+, and definitely in an era where guys had more skill). In Randleman's case, he got old and was, well, dead.

maxresdefault.jpg
If you have a point, then feel free to state it. Francis has previously weighed in under 255 multiple times and as low as 252. I think he has multiple options to easily make 245.

So, after this weekends HW clash between Greg Hardy and Marcin Tybura alot of people have been coming up with crazy reasons as to why Hardy lost and some even saying Tybura isnt very good and alot of talk about weight..

It got me thinking what is the Ideal weight and Height of UFC HW champion, ive always believed it to be between 230lbs and 245lbs and a height of 6'2 or above

Well Id the research sherbros and its all here

There have been 21 undisputed HW Champions in the modern age of the division starting with Mark coleman i will now list all the champions in order of succession and there Height and weight at the time they won their titles.

Mark coleman. 6'1 245 lbs
Maurice smith. 6'2. 220 lbs
Randy couture. 6'1. 220 lbs
Bas rutten. 6'1. 203 lbs ( HW -200+lbs)
Kevin randleman. 5'10 212 lbs
Randy couture. 6'1. 222 lbs
Josh barnett. 6'3. 243 lbs
Ricco rodriguez. 6'4. 243 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 252 lbs
Frank mir. 6'3. 253 lbs
Andrei arlovski. 6'3. 238 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 253 lbs
Randy Couture. 6'1. 222.5 lbs
Brock lesnar. 6'3. 265 lbs
Cain velaquez. 6'1. 244 lbs
Junior dos santos. 6'4. 239 lbs
Cain velaquez. 6'1. 240 lbs
Fabrico werdum. 6'4. 236 lbs
Stipe miocic. 6'4. 241 lbs
Daniel cormier. 5'11. 246lbs
Stipe miocic. 6'4. 233 lbs

Lightest champion - Bas rutten (203 lbs)
Heaviest Champion - Brock lesnar ( 265 lbs only champion ever at the Heavyweight limit)

Most frequent occuring height amongst champions = 6 foot 1 inches

Average weight of HW champions = 236lbs

Champions within projected weight zone ( 230-245lbs) = 10 ( looks like i was right here)

Champions under the projected weight zone = 6
Champions above the projected weight zone= 5

Ideal champion weight within projected zone

230lbs to 235 lbs = 1 Champion
235lbs to 240lbs = 3 champions
240lbs to 245lbs = 6 champions

Therefore the Ideal weight for a HW champion will fall between 240lbs and 245lbs

Ideal height based weight shows 6 foot 1 inches to 6 foot 4 inches, height seems to play less of a factor at HW something i found interesting during my studies...

TL/DR

Based on past champions the ideal Hw championship height and weight is as follows

Height - Anywhere in the 6 '1 range to 6'4 range
Weight- 240lbs to 245lbs

Thank you i hope all enjoyed this...
The only flaw is that a lot of those heights aren't accurate.

This is inherently wrong based on the data...not only has there only be 1 champion at 265lbs...theres been more champions below 230lbs then above 245lbs...this is also true for Hw boxing...

Size isnt the answer to everything it seems

His point was that the sport is still young. If you took the NFL player data from 1940, you'd probably come to the conclusion that the ideal lineman is 5'11" and about 225. Obviously these days that's not true.

His point was that the sport is still young. If you took the NFL player data from 1940, you'd probably come to the conclusion that the ideal lineman is 5'11" and about 225. Obviously these days that's not true.

The sport isnt that old...

1940 to 2020 is a huge gap...compared to 1996 to 2020..things arent gunna change that much

I think you have it backwards...boxing would require more power then MMA as they can only punch...MMA. You can win by using leverage in submissions or positions not strength or by simply outlasting your opponent a key factor in the HW division the more mass and bigger you get the more tired you are...because your not just punching...your doing so much more...fitness or being physically fit is likely the key factor to being champion at HW and this research shows that...theres more to consider in MMA then boxing and strength isnt required for all of them (jiujitsu)
You're saying strength isn't required for jiu jitsu? Strength is more important for grappling than striking. This isn't a debatable point.

Do you think there is any tipping point though? At which the incremental gains in power are outweighed by the incrementsl loss in speed/agility/etc.?

If you think about it, small children are basically incapable of knocking one another out. Their chins are weaker, obviously, but the power falls off even more from a grown up’s. I suspect that something similar happens at the other side of the spectrum. For example, how much harder can you possibly hit than Fedor? And to the extent that you can by being larger, are your chin/liver/calves going to be equally improved? It seems like that’s unlikely. I don’t know though, thinking this through on the fly
I think the tipping point is certainly higher than 240lbs. We can't know for sure because like I said talent is sparse at HW in MMA. Both because there are just less humans at that size and the ones who are at that size who can utilize their size and athleticism are doing other things. Even if every athlete in the world was pursuing MMA I still think the tipping point would be decided by scarcity in talent rather than the limits of the human body. For example there would be so many more natural 260lb'rs than 280lb'rs that the talent gap would overcome any potential size/power advantage.

This is modern MMA champions , not including tournament nhb wild days...where guys were coming in off the street this was when they started to implement the unified rules..so guys had experience/fights under there belts already

Mark coleman was 5-0 when he became the first champion and beat a 14-2 Severn to do it

Maurice Smith was 5-9 when he beat coleman

Randleman was 9-3 when he lost to randy

Sure these werent huge records...but by no means did these guys have no fights...the sport just started so of course numbers will be low and may not have included all previous fight experience

Last edited:
You're saying strength isn't required for jiu jitsu? Strength is more important for grappling than striking. This isn't a debatable point.

I think the tipping point is certainly higher than 240lbs. We can't know for sure because like I said talent is sparse at HW in MMA. Both because there are just less humans at that size and the ones who are at that size who can utilize their size and athleticism are doing other things. Even if every athlete in the world was pursuing MMA I still think the tipping point would be decided by scarcity in talent rather than the limits of the human body. For example there would be so many more natural 260lb'rs than 280lb'rs that the talent gap would overcome any potential size/power advantage.

I study Japanese jiujitsu and have done so for a long time...sure strength can you help in grappling to some degree but it doesnt hold alot of weight overall in grappling , Royce wasnt stronger then any opponent in UFC 1 thru 3...subbed ken shamrock and dan severn both huge powerful wrestlers/grapplers in comparison to royce. ..Also look at Maia , are you telling me demain maia is stronger then all the guys he submitted?...look at anderson silva vs chael sonnen 1..its clear chael was the bigger stronger wrestler...why didnt he win?..

Strength and power isnt the only thing to consider in MMA just a piece of the puzzle

The only flaw is that a lot of those heights aren't accurate.

I pulled all stats from tapology , and mma decisions .. If you see any that are wrong and can be proven so to me i can edit...that said MMA is notorious for retarded heights ...guys cutting and gaining heights somehow

So, after this weekends HW clash between Greg Hardy and Marcin Tybura alot of people have been coming up with crazy reasons as to why Hardy lost and some even saying Tybura isnt very good and alot of talk about weight..

It got me thinking what is the Ideal weight and Height of UFC HW champion, ive always believed it to be between 230lbs and 245lbs and a height of 6'2 or above

There have been 21 undisputed HW Champions in the modern age of the division starting with Mark coleman i will now list all the champions in order of succession and there Height and weight at the time they won their titles.

Tim sylvia. 6'8. 252 lbs
Frank mir. 6'3. 253 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 253 lbs

Heaviest Champion - Brock lesnar ( 265 lbs only champion ever at the Heavyweight limit)

Champions within projected weight zone ( 230-245lbs) = 10 ( looks like i was right here)

Therefore the Ideal weight for a HW champion will fall between 240lbs and 245lbs

Ideal height based weight shows 6 foot 1 inches to 6 foot 4 inches, height seems to play less of a factor at HW something i found interesting during my studies...

TL/DR

Based on past champions the ideal Hw championship height and weight is as follows

Weight- 240lbs to 245lbs

Though I don't feel there to be a universal "ideal weight" for fighters, I tend to agree, more or less -- this also applies to collegiate wrestling these days. There used to be a lot of big heavyweight wrestling champions, but these days, the best heavyweights tend to be between 225-245 lbs.

Nice compilation of states, but it doesn't really tell the whole story.

I mean, how many HWs at that height/weight have come and gone and never got close to a title?

Yeah this isnt a beginning or end all look at the HW title...just a interesting piece of research to try and correlate champions and weight..it doesnt consider challengers or skills..

And it paints a pretty clear picture though overall of what weight seems to be the best

Though I don't feel there to be a universal "ideal weight" for fighters, I tend to agree, more or less -- this also applies to collegiate wrestling these days. There used to be a lot of big heavyweight wrestling champions, but these days, the best heavyweights tend to be between 225-245 lbs.

I agree i wasnt trying to say this has to be the weight of champions...just did research to try and see if there was any correlation between weight and champions and there really does seem to be a tight grouping of champions around a certain weight...but who knows the sport is still changing

I study Japanese jiujitsu and have done so for a long time...sure strength can you help in grappling to some degree but it doesnt hold alot of weight overall in grappling , Royce wasnt stronger then any opponent in UFC 1 thru 3...subbed ken shamrock and dan severn both huge powerful wrestlers/grapplers in comparison to royce. ..Also look at Maia , are you telling me demain maia is stronger then all the guys he submitted?...look at anderson silva vs chael sonnen 1..its clear chael was the bigger stronger wrestler...why didnt he win?..

Strength and power isnt the only thing to consider in MMA just a piece of the puzzle
I think at this point we're talking about different things. Are we more likely to find a HW champ at 240lbs than 260lbs? Sure. Agree with you there. That doesn't mean that's an ideal weight. Equal skill, talent, and training I'll take the heavier guy every time. But where is the limit where that statement won't be true? I think there is a limit but imo it's well beyond 240lbs.

I think at this point we're talking about different things. Are we more likely to find a HW champ at 240lbs than 260lbs? Sure. Agree with you there. That doesn't mean that's an ideal weight. Equal skill, talent, and training I'll take the heavier guy every time. But where is the limit where that statement won't be true? I think there is a limit but imo it's well beyond 240lbs.

I can understand what your getting at.. And i by no means meant to say you have to be between these parameters to be champion...im just bringing to light that in the past most champions came from this weight range and that the weight of diminishing returns must be somewhere above this and the size of being too small to compete below it...like a randleman or rutten..even Randy

My guess anyone 6'2 to 6'4 and over 265lbs is likely experiencing these diminishing returns ..as for the most part our bodies are all the same bone structure wise and according to Drs for the average man being 6'4 weighing over 246lbs and up to 320 lbs is considered obese or simply too heavy for his frame..which again correlates to the data shown above...that said athletes get alittle leeway with these numbers but not much(think nagannou)...something to think.about

Good work man, thanks for sharing.

It stands to reason that at a certain point, for the majority of humans, the strength/power advantages that come along with size are generally outweighed by the cardio/speed disadvantages. It seems exceptionally rare that a human over 250lbs can possess the cardio required to consistently win MMA fights at the highest level. It's just too much mass. There certainly are anomalies (Tyson Fury is a good example), but for the vast majority of humans, that rule seems to apply. The ideal size for a MMA HW does seem to be around the 240lb range. Greg Hardy has obvious cardio issues and would almost certainly benefit from dropping some weight.

Well said....i did alittle digging and medical drs suggest for the average man at 6'4 weighing over 246 but below 320lbs is consider obese or too heavy for there frames...now athletes get some leeway here compared to the average person..like a nagannou but being heavy for your frame isnt much better then being obese when it comes to fighting majority of the time...and as we saw with nagannou vs stipe perhaps a 245lbs nagnnou can do what a 265 plus lbs couldnt who knows...but id be surprised if he gasses as fast at 245lbs...dont think its possible...he was exhausted in the first fight...litterally sucking air between rounds...fighting to breathe lol...

I pulled all stats from tapology , and mma decisions .. If you see any that are wrong and can be proven so to me i can edit...that said MMA is notorious for retarded heights ...guys cutting and gaining heights somehow
Couture is a pretty easy one to correct:

Looks about 0.5" taller than 5'10" Nurmagomedov:

An upright Couture is about one inch taller than 5'9.5" Toney:
7rwyPJZ0jGFL4IT5XluCG3wCgebIEKVG98LaT1EjXAk5LQN--P_qUO2UM7lodJ3FVAttbk28s_7vq3SSxgS8cyP4iv4kfwSBVzETzSnZ_3KTbGJ_SwSF0vJ6ZoY

Couture is about 0.5" shorter than 5'11" Silva:
1121007969_f533ef43cc.jpg

So Couture is 5'10.5 to 5'11", yet Coleman is shorter than him:
28659-15474828113050-800.jpg

And just to clarify, I'm not criticizing you over the listed heights, just that the listed heights have always been inflated and it'll be nearly impossible to get accuracy on those particular stats.

I agree i wasnt trying to say this has to be the weight of champions...just did research to try and see if there was any correlation between weight and champions and there really does seem to be a tight grouping of champions around a certain weight...but who knows the sport is still changing
I gotcha mate, and thank you for making this thread. It is very well-stated and objective. It's actually a nice reference for my casual friends who don't know anything about fighting that just think the bigger person is going to win in any given fight.

Tim sylvia. 6'8. 252 lbs
Frank mir. 6'3. 253 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 253 lbs

TL/DR

Weight- 240lbs to 245lbs

But what age should I be when I win the title?

Back