News UFC Heavyweight Championship (By the Numbers)

Also another kinda cool point 240 to 245lbs range is exactly where Jon Jones aims to be coming up at for HW...perhap jackson Winks did the same homework i did???

Food for thought

That raises another point: even if we decide it’s better to be, say, 240, does that mean that all HW fighters should strive to fight at that weight? I would argue no. Lesnar wouldn’t have gotten much quicker if he lost 25 pounds (IMHO), and his weaknesses still would’ve been his weaknesses (namely striking D). His best hope was to be a beast. Put that same bulk on someone like Cain and you kill his quickness and gas tank, and you’re still not turning him into Ngannou or Brock. I think Jones will fight around 230 or 240 because that’s where he will feel and perform at his best, rather than because of any deeper analysis. Could be mistaken though.

The interesting question to me is whether it really is “better” to be smaller or whether there just are just so few guys who can weight 265+ without being overweight or unnecessarily muscular.

For example, not long ago most people would probably have said that the ideal height to be a wing player in the NBA is 6’7” or 6’8”, and the data would back that up. Then someone like Giannis comes along, and you realize that it’s really just incredibly rare for a person to be at the extreme edges of the bell curve in more than one attribute. Giannis happens to be 99.999th percentile height AND 99.999th percentile athleticism/coordination. It wasn’t necessarily “better” not to be 7’0”, it was just probable that the best guy wouldn’t be. (I know it’s not entirely that simple, as there is a negative correlation between height and athleticism once you hit a certain point that typically outweighs the incremental advantage of heights beyond a certain point).

So that’s the question: to what extent was Cain able to beat Brock “because” he was smaller, and to what extent was it simply more likely that the best fighter from the far larger group of men in the 230-240 range would be better than the best fighter from the far smaller group of men in the 265+ range? It’s an interesting thought experiment, and the only way to ever really know for sure would be to clone a guy except make him 15% larger.

I hear you...my Numbers take skills out of the equation ......which is huge in factoring whos the best champion..

But my thread is merely speaking to what seems to be the ideal bodyweight...for example does 245lbs brock still beat Randy...ya maybe he does/doesnt...this wasnt the point of the study though the point of the study was to show the greatest grouping of champions seem to fall into within a certain weight range and would point to that being the most successful weight for division , theres an undeniable correlation between the two points... Being taller then 6 foot 1 and shorter then 6 foot 5 and weighing 240 to 245 has produced the most HW champions so as fighter coming up in HW division this could be seen as benchmark position for making a run at the title from physical stand point and based on the data would increase your chances of being champion

Imo

So, after this weekends HW clash between Greg Hardy and Marcin Tybura alot of people have been coming up with crazy reasons as to why Hardy lost and some even saying Tybura isnt very good and alot of talk about weight..

It got me thinking what is the Ideal weight and Height of UFC HW champion, ive always believed it to be between 230lbs and 245lbs and a height of 6'2 or above

Well Id the research sherbros and its all here

There have been 21 undisputed HW Champions in the modern age of the division starting with Mark coleman i will now list all the champions in order of succession and there Height and weight at the time they won their titles.

Mark coleman. 6'1 245 lbs
Maurice smith. 6'2. 220 lbs
Randy couture. 6'1. 220 lbs
Bas rutten. 6'1. 203 lbs ( HW -200+lbs)
Kevin randleman. 5'10 212 lbs
Randy couture. 6'1. 222 lbs
Josh barnett. 6'3. 243 lbs
Ricco rodriguez. 6'4. 243 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 252 lbs
Frank mir. 6'3. 253 lbs
Andrei arlovski. 6'3. 238 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 253 lbs
Randy Couture. 6'1. 222.5 lbs
Brock lesnar. 6'3. 265 lbs
Cain velaquez. 6'1. 244 lbs
Junior dos santos. 6'4. 239 lbs
Cain velaquez. 6'1. 240 lbs
Fabrico werdum. 6'4. 236 lbs
Stipe miocic. 6'4. 241 lbs
Daniel cormier. 5'11. 246lbs
Stipe miocic. 6'4. 233 lbs

Lightest champion - Bas rutten (203 lbs)
Heaviest Champion - Brock lesnar ( 265 lbs only champion ever at the Heavyweight limit)

Most frequent occuring height amongst champions = 6 foot 1 inches

Average weight of HW champions = 236lbs

Champions within projected weight zone ( 230-245lbs) = 10 ( looks like i was right here)

Champions under the projected weight zone = 6
Champions above the projected weight zone= 5

Ideal champion weight within projected zone

230lbs to 235 lbs = 1 Champion
235lbs to 240lbs = 3 champions
240lbs to 245lbs = 6 champions

Therefore the Ideal weight for a HW champion will fall between 240lbs and 245lbs

Ideal height based weight shows 6 foot 1 inches to 6 foot 4 inches, height seems to play less of a factor at HW something i found interesting during my studies...

TL/DR

Based on past champions the ideal Hw championship height and weight is as follows

Height - Anywhere in the 6 '1 range to 6'4 range
Weight- 240lbs to 245lbs

Thank you i hope all enjoyed this...
Bout tree fiddy

That raises another point: even if we decide it’s better to be, say, 240, does that mean that all HW fighters should strive to fight at that weight? I would argue no. Lesnar wouldn’t have gotten much quicker if he lost 25 pounds (IMHO), and his weaknesses still would’ve been his weaknesses (namely striking D). His best hope was to be a beast. Put that same bulk on someone like Cain and you kill his quickness and gas tank, and you’re still not turning him into Ngannou or Brock. I think Jones will fight around 230 or 240 because that’s where he will feel and perform at his best, rather than because of any deeper analysis. Could be mistaken though.

I think its a trend/pattern worth considering ...if one was thinking of making a run at HW ...its more then a coincidence that about half of the HW champions fall between this weight and only 23% of champions have come from.above this weight range...its numbers that shouldnt rule your life but something to consider

So, after this weekends HW clash between Greg Hardy and Marcin Tybura alot of people have been coming up with crazy reasons as to why Hardy lost and some even saying Tybura isnt very good and alot of talk about weight..

It got me thinking what is the Ideal weight and Height of UFC HW champion, ive always believed it to be between 230lbs and 245lbs and a height of 6'2 or above

There have been 21 undisputed HW Champions in the modern age of the division starting with Mark coleman i will now list all the champions in order of succession and there Height and weight at the time they won their titles.

Tim sylvia. 6'8. 252 lbs
Frank mir. 6'3. 253 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 253 lbs

Heaviest Champion - Brock lesnar ( 265 lbs only champion ever at the Heavyweight limit)

Champions within projected weight zone ( 230-245lbs) = 10 ( looks like i was right here)

Therefore the Ideal weight for a HW champion will fall between 240lbs and 245lbs

Ideal height based weight shows 6 foot 1 inches to 6 foot 4 inches, height seems to play less of a factor at HW something i found interesting during my studies...

TL/DR

Based on past champions the ideal Hw championship height and weight is as follows

Weight- 240lbs to 245lbs

Great stuff. I think it looks slightly different if you don't do the double counting of fighters that were champion more than once and include the interim HW champs (e.g. Carwin also was at the weight limit), but looks indeed like that 240-245 and 6"1 and 6"4 range is the perfect spot.

I think this will gradually increase though as you get bigger athletes that are also proportional. Guys like Ngannou and Blaydes. That's not as common with HWs and that's why generally guys that are too big aren't good. It's not the size, it's because the size is not in proportion and making it more a disadvantage than an advantage.

I knew that a guy with a name like Francis had to be a joke, this is proof.

Great stuff. I think it looks slightly different if you don't do the double counting of fighters that were champion more than once and include the interim HW champs (e.g. Carwin also was at the weight limit), but looks indeed like that 240-245 and 6"1 and 6"4 range is the perfect spot.

I think this will gradually increase though as you get bigger athletes that are also proportional. Guys like Ngannou and Blaydes. That's not as common with HWs and that's why generally guys that are too big aren't good. It's not the size, it's because the size is not in proportion and making it more a disadvantage than an advantage.

I included doubles or triples because guys change weights between championship reigns while others did not ( couture)..for example stipe was heavier when he won his first title them when he regained it last ....

I didnt include intrims because undisputeds are king..intrim belts are hard to justify sometimes ...more of a marketing tool...

Thanks for you input and yeah i think your right on the money..at some point after 245lbs size becomes a hinderance...thats not to say there wont be outliers...but we essentially saw throughout history the larger guys losing to smaller guys... Couture sylvia...cain brock...stipe nagnnou ofcourse more was at play then just weight but its still a factor to consider

I can’t decide if this is really an A level athlete thread in disguise.

I can’t decide if this is really an A level athlete thread in disguise.

If you mean HW MMA fighters who are between 6'1 and 6'4 and weigh 240lbs to 245lbs are the A level athletes of the world...then yeah...i guess the research does show that lol...

Reactions: Yep
If you mean HW MMA fighters who are between 6'1 and 6'4 and weigh 240lbs to 245lbs are the A level athletes of the world...then yeah...i guess the research does show that lol...
You could be very tricky.

Tim sylvia. 6'8. 252 lbs
Frank mir. 6'3. 253 lbs
Tim sylvia. 6'8. 253 lbs

TL/DR

Weight- 240lbs to 245lbs

Solid TS. However, I think you have overlooked a major factor: the average weight of HW champs have fluctuated over time and are heavier in more recent times than they were in the early UFC. Before Barnett became champ in 2002, there was only one HW champ above 220 lbs, which was Coleman. Five early champs weighed in ~220 or less brings the average down a lot. The pre 2002 average (please check my math) is exactly 220 lbs over the first six champs. Coleman was huge for an early UFC champ, but below average for a post 2002 champ.

Since Barnett in 2002, there have been 15 champs (counting each reign for multiple time champs). The average weight since 2002 is 248, which is substantially higher than the overall average of 236. The biggest outlier in that period wasn't Brock Lesnar, it was Randy Couture at 222.

So champs starting with Barnett are almost 30 lbs heavier on average than champs before Barnett.

However, since Brock, the average has dropped down to 240, which is closer to the overall average of 236 you posted, the smallest being Stipe in his last fight at 233.

6'4 and about 245lbs is ideal.

That is a big human, while still being able to move, and not carry too much weight on the joints.

Cyril Gane, JDS, Stipe, Ngannou, etc all fit the bill of ideal build. All great athletes too.

Completely proves what we have always said. You will never be a fat ass UFC champion and Brock was a peculiar specimen. Hate him or love him he is an interesting MMA oulier. Monstrous size and athletic ability. He was what every A Level Athlete snob on Sherdog jerks off too. They just hate that he was a jacked white boy.

Solid TS. However, I think you have overlooked a major factor: the average weight of HW champs have fluctuated over time and are heavier in more recent times than they were in the early UFC. Before Barnett became champ in 2002, there was only one HW champ above 220 lbs, which was Coleman. Five early champs weighed in ~220 or less brings the average down a lot. The pre 2002 average (please check my math) is exactly 220 lbs over the first six champs. Coleman was huge for an early UFC champ, but below average for a post 2002 champ.

Since Barnett in 2002, there have been 15 champs (counting each reign for multiple time champs). The average weight since 2002 is 248, which is substantially higher than the overall average of 236. The biggest outlier in that period wasn't Brock Lesnar, it was Randy Couture at 222.

So champs starting with Barnett are almost 30 lbs heavier on average than champs before Barnett.

However, since Brock, the average has dropped down to 240, which is closer to the overall average of 236 you posted, the smallest being Stipe in his last fight at 233.

Yeas ...very interesting further analysis its also speaks to the greatness of someone like couture who essentially was successful in every stage/era of the UFC HW strap...from early day till mid..till bigger days like sylvia and gabrial and brock..

Theres still obvious information pointing to the 240 to 245 being the ideal build/sizing for heavyweight champion but as all things in sports the individuals and there day to day efforts make up the majority of difference..as you couldnt simply add weight or take weight away from a certain fighter and all the sudden there a champion where as before they lost ( a 250lbs randy beats brock where 220lbs loses or a 240lbs sylvia beats 222 pound randy) its not that simple

But we can not deny based on the researched shown 240 to 245 seems to be where most champions tip the scale...maybe we will see more guys head this direction or maybe itll go the way of body building were bigger is somehow deemed better and we'll have more 6'6 guys cutting massive cuts to make 265lbs...who knows..

It was fun to do though...cool to see

Last edited:

Ya the early UFC skew data bad

6'4 and about 245lbs is ideal.

That is a big human, while still being able to move, and not carry too much weight on the joints.

Cyril Gane, JDS, Stipe, Ngannou, etc all fit the bill of ideal build. All great athletes too.

Gane..is a strong candidate for sure...nagannou is alittle on the plus side

Ya the early UFC skew data bad

Not really as coleman was 245... And stipe was 233lbs in his last fight...couture weighed 220 to 222 during his title reigns it all kinda balances out in the end...

Back