UFC FN 130 PBP/Discussion

i scored it 3-2 wb and lost money but i hold myself accountable. at the end of the day you're betting on a guy to get his hand raised, not who you think should win the fight.

wb is inactive for long periods, doesn't put exclamation points on rounds and was fighting in hostile territory. those factors should have played more of a role in my decision making.

i'm on the coldest streak of my entire gambling career right now but it is what it is, long-term profits are the only thing that matter.

I had it 3-1 till (rd 1 i gave 10-10 but its not relevant im fine either way)..not sure what some of the fuss is about. The most significant things in the fight were the kd and chewing up wbs leg. And overall ocatgon control. Im not sure what people were watching. WB refused to engage most of the fight he deserved to lose the close decision. Not to mention it was in his opponents hometown

I had it 3-1 till (rd 1 i gave 10-10 but its not relevant im fine either way)..not sure what some of the fuss is about. The most significant things in the fight were the kd and chewing up wbs leg. And overall ocatgon control. Im not sure what people were watching. WB refused to engage most of the fight he deserved to lose the close decision. Not to mention it was in his opponents hometown

I think it was "close", I was big on Till, and there is some debate to be had regarding the "rules and scoring" in general.

But like you say, if you are talking from a betting point of view you have to be factoring in that it's in Till's hometown and Wonderboy's inactive style as part of the price, Till @ 2.50 was great, ended up @ 2.30 again on some sites before the fight started.

93% of the media had him. If you can't trust media consensus, what else can you use as a metric? The 49-46es were especially terrible. Till's face changed when he heard those numbers since he knew he'd lost.
I agree that it's a close fight and I wouldn't complain one bit if WB had won (I was Till pre-fight but I arbed after the weight cut incident, so I had no money on the fight, really), but factoring in the Fightmetric stats (granted, they're very close) and the fact that Till was walking forward the whole time (as silly of a criteria as that is), I dont know how one can be confident in one side over the other, especially WB > Till. Under what criteria does WB definitively win this fight? This is how fightmetric broke it down:

Round 1: 5 sig strikes to 4 in favor of WB
Round 2: 9 to 6 in favor of Till
Round 3: 9 to 8 in favor of Till
Round 4: 8 to 7 in favor of WB
Round 5: 9 to 3 in favor of Till

The volume is pretty much even in every round, too. It's really a coin flip decision. I agree that 49-46 is very hard to see, though

This fight shows the major flaw in mma scoring. Whoever gave Wb rd 1 or 2 how can that hold the same amount of significance as tills rd 5 its stupid scoring. Thats why there needs to be an element of judging the fight as a whole

i dont think you can use striking stats for anything really.. i mean alot of the strikes Till landed was those Oblique Kicks which should clearly not count for the same as a clean hard strike to the head or?

This fight shows the major flaw in mma scoring. Whoever gave Wb rd 1 or 2 how can that hold the same amount of significance as tills rd 5 its stupid scoring. Thats why there needs to be an element of judging the fight as a whole

IMO on the whole Till won cuz he had a KD. Basically a rerun of Twood fight

Fightmetric had Till landing on 38/126 significant strikes while Thompson landing 30/126 sig strikes FWIW

Aside from the knockdown, no question WB landed the cleaner strikes with more pop though.

That said, with that few strikes landed both ways, not really any reason for serious complaint.

i dont think you can use striking stats for anything really.. i mean alot of the strikes Till landed was those Oblique Kicks which should clearly not count for the same as a clean hard strike to the head or?
fightmetric had Till landing more to WB's head than WB landing to Till's head. The majority of WB's strikes landed to Till's body according to FM

I agree that it's a close fight and I wouldn't complain one bit if WB had won (I was Till pre-fight but I arbed after the weight cut incident, so I had no money on the fight, really), but factoring in the Fightmetric stats (granted, they're very close) and the fact that Till was walking forward the whole time (as silly of a criteria as that is), I dont know how one can be confident in one side over the other, especially WB > Till. Under what criteria does WB definitively win this fight? This is how fightmetric broke it down:

Round 1: 5 sig strikes to 4 in favor of WB
Round 2: 9 to 6 in favor of Till
Round 3: 9 to 8 in favor of Till
Round 4: 8 to 7 in favor of WB
Round 5: 9 to 3 in favor of Till

The volume is pretty much even in every round, too. It's really a coin flip decision. I agree that 49-46 is very hard to see, though
Significant strikes is a bit of an awkward metric, since it depends exactly what got blocked/missed, and whether they rated Till's legkicks as significant. Till might have been walking forward, but he wasn't doing it offensively. MOst of the actual aggressive gapclosing was when Wonderboy was throwing his punch-combos at Till's face, since Till was more crowding than he was actively heckling WB.

fightmetric had Till landing more to WB's head than WB landing to Till's head. The majority of WB's strikes landed to Till's body according to FM
hmm guess ill watch the fight again at some point.. those stats seem wrong to me :) i bought out of my WB action after R2 as Till showed no sign of slowing so its not becourse i am biased but i thought WB somewhat clearly won R1,R3,R4 but still i would not call it a robbery at all as there was not enough action in the rounds to say that

Had money on WB but thought Till won R2, R4, R5. And when the first 4 rounds were so tight, I honestly wouldn't have a problem if someone scored R5 10-8 Till.

WB can hardly complain the way he fought. Although 4-1 Till I don't really see.

Significant strikes is a bit of an awkward metric, since it depends exactly what got blocked/missed, and whether they rated Till's legkicks as significant. Till might have been walking forward, but he wasn't doing it offensively. MOst of the actual aggressive gapclosing was when Wonderboy was throwing his punch-combos at Till's face, since Till was more crowding than he was actively heckling WB.
Pretty much all the strikes thrown were considered significant. But even if you wanna look at total strikes, Till outlands WB 40/129 to 31/127. To your comment about Till not really doing much while walking forward, I agree with you, but again, WB wasn't doing anything to "win" those rounds. FWIW I thought Till won rounds 2, 3, and 5

@mkess101 WB landed 8 shots to Till's head while Till landed 18 to WB's head.

hmm guess ill watch the fight again at some point.. those stats seem wrong to me :) i bought out of my WB action after R2 as Till showed no sign of slowing so its not becourse i am biased but i thought WB somewhat clearly won R1,R3,R4 but still i would not call it a robbery at all as there was not enough action in the rounds to say that
FM could definitely be wrong. I'm just going off of what's in front of me

I had it 3-2 Till.

It was no robbery, close decision that could have gone either way.

Almost like Woodley fight but Woodley was closer to the finish than Till. At the same time Woodley had his back to the cage a lot in that fight whereas Till was the aggressor, cutting off the cage and had Wonderboy's back against the cage a fair part of the fight and landed a lot of small kicks to WB's front leg.

Give Till credit for the fight and gameplan.

Yea so you and I disagree on round 3. I had Till winning 2, 3, and 5. It's a close decision either way.

Haven't watched any if the fights yet I just know I lost money. Congrats Till backers though. Even if I lose I'm glad to see others win.

Wow, came across this on Twitter, in reply to Big John McCarthy's tweet about the scoring hahaha!

That "takedown" cancelled out the knockdown. Also worth noting, the guy also replied saying he had to tell other people how fights should be scored because they don't understand it.... lost for words.

kinda disgusting all 3 judges are from the UK imo i thought we was done with stuff like this,, or maybe its always been like this? i dont really remember i just felt like recently they was not as much country bias anymore with brazil ect..

and you would think that wonderboy wouldve learned from that fight not even taking into consideration that this fight was in the UK

Back