UFC fighters who never fulfilled expectations.

Anthony Smith.
This is a guy who has so many tools, but often seems to avoid a path to victory through either standing still or walking into his opponents strengths.
Honestly I think he did fulfill what you can reasonably expect of him. He doesn't have any giga explosive movement or striking, not elite grappling either. Decent skills all around but nothing that really screams champion. In a division with Jones and Glover though, definitely no surprise he didn't get a title (though he could've gotten the Jones DQ ironically). Getting top-5 fights and a title fight imo is fulfilling expectations

Gegard Mousasi and Jake Shields

I personally never liked those guys but they had a whole lot of hype behind them

At least I have my favorite fighter Erick Silva in the pipeline for some MASSIVE success. He just needs s few more tune up fights to develop and he'll be in contender status.

a guy who went 6-2 in the UFC and then left because another promotion paid him more?

how on earth is he a bust? he left the ufc on his terms on a 3 fight win streak.
You think he filled his potential?

a guy who went 6-2 in the UFC and then left because another promotion paid him more?

how on earth is he a bust? he left the ufc on his terms on a 3 fight win streak.
He did not fulfill expectations. Left UFC and got injured badly. I wouldn't have predicted that for the new upcoming star the UFC was promoting. I "EXPECTED" more fights in the UFC. On another note, I just looked him up and he won a fight by submission in 39 seconds. Good for him.

The guy looked like a mixture of Ken doll and a 80’s jacked action figure, could throw amazing flips, was fast and explosive as shit… Just shouldn’t be fighting. I guess being a social media star is more up his alley.

Untitled-1500-×-1000px-1920-×-1080px-1500-×-1000px-9-3.png

<DCWhoa>
Good call. He's a genetic freak but not a great fighter.

Makwan amirkani
Darren till
Alastair overreem
Gokhan saki
Mike pyle
Miles jury
Erick silva
Jimi manuwa
Will brooks
Saki had like 3 career ending injuries in K-1 already. Plus he had been chinny for years. Saw Roundtree sleep him live. Dude looks frail as glass.

Overeem did well I'd argue. A lot of big wins in big fights. Jury and Brooks being busts was always crazy to me. Both looked fantastic. I guess jury beating old Gomi wasn't that impressive in hindsight lolol.

Honestly I think he did fulfill what you can reasonably expect of him. He doesn't have any giga explosive movement or striking, not elite grappling either. Decent skills all around but nothing that really screams champion. In a division with Jones and Glover though, definitely no surprise he didn't get a title (though he could've gotten the Jones DQ ironically). Getting top-5 fights and a title fight imo is fulfilling expectations
Guy is a journeyman in a shallow division, imo.

Thomas Almeida though...

Holly Holm

She came in with a big splash being a 19-time boxing champion. She had a few succesful fights against journeymen fighters. She hit the absolute peak once she won against Ronda Rousey. However, it went downhill really fast for her since she never got better. She still fights the exact same way except now she just muscles her way by holding her opponent agains the cage for 3 or 5 rounds. She was already 34 when she came into the UFC and did not evolve much due to the Winkeljohn academy she remained so loyal to.

As a result, she is the Buster Douglas of MMA. Only lived up to the hype for a very short amount of time.

Uriah Hall, geez he had some good moments. And Mousasi I guess, great fighter who had a decent run but never got the strap, and I think he would have beaten Whittaker if he didn't go to Bellator.

Back