UFC fighters who never fulfilled expectations.

samuelsoncast

Professional Farter
@purple
Reaction score
There are many fighters who performed better than expected and some, for various reasons may have even been hyped beyond their ability.

But which current UFC fighters do you see as unrefined, or raw talent but need either better gameplans or better camps?

I'll start with a frustrating figure of a LHW.

Anthony Smith.
This is a guy who has so many tools, but often seems to avoid a path to victory through either standing still or walking into his opponents strengths.

Current BW hype.

Song Yadong.
This wee fella is on a good record within the UFC and is 27 years old.
Team Alpha Male surely have a hareem of Oompa Loompas to train with but I'm not convinced that their strategies are chess level. Song is so explosive and carries power, yet I'm convinced he has either peaked or (more likely) he needs different training. His movement of backwards then forwards is so predictable that he is destined for more stoppage losses.

Inb4 Erick Silva still has time.
24t60e.jpg

Gilbert Melendez came to the UFC at 31 years old and was ranked by Sherdog as the #8 p4p fighter in the world, ahead of Demetrious Johnson: https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-48151

He proceeded to go 1-6, with his only win coming against Diego Sanchez.

Biggest bust in UFC history.
he had a decade long career prior which is usually the time up for guys at lower weight classes. Ironically his best performance in the UFC was a close fight he lost against Bendo.

Something funny about a Strikeforce guy coming in only to lose to WEC/Bellator/Dream vets (Bendo, Pettis and Eddie)

such a weird fight to watch, like he was just melting away. esp considering how aggressive he'd been before that, finishing guys left and right.
It was and I was such a big fan of Loiseau and I figured he would lose but be competitive and it would be a learning loss or help push him through to the next level but it just took it all out of him and melting away is a good way to put it.

It was and I was such a big fan of Loiseau and I figured he would lose but be competitive and it would be a learning loss or help push him through to the next level but it just took it all out of him and melting away is a good way to put it.
i remember thinking at the time that the pressure might have gotten to him. sometimes a spotlight that big does weird things to a guy, maybe it just hit him hard that it was a title fight and a life-changing moment and all that. or maybe it was something else, who knows. franklin looked like a beast there for a while, maybe he just overwhelmed him.

Back