UFC Fight Night 40: crappy attendance of 6k in a 17k venue

This. Plus the economy in this area is hurting right now. People chose to stay at home and watch on TV. There is also a smoking ban in Ohio which has affected many live events. There is a very large MMA following in the tri-state area but Saturday just had too many factors that reflected only 6k people going.

The fans that did show up were great fans though. Into the fights, cheering ground transitions & I didn't hear a boo!

Yeah I was kinda shocked when I heard people cheering transitions.. and like somEone sAid earlier the reds were playing at the same time

There was also a Cincinnati Reds game going on at the same time as well as quite a few festivals in the area. It didn't start filling up until after the Reds game has ended.

Is that like baseball or something? I don't think the UFC fans were at a baseball game...lol

On a random note, the UFC should go to Amsterdam.

6acbf45c7fde7f40efb6f1561cd52d0eb62f70dff22602e3e096d215a7e79e84.jpg

Edit: UFC & GLORY

Is that like baseball or something? I don't think the UFC fans were at a baseball game...lol

Unfortunately for most ufc fans in Cincinnati, the reds come first. Even though they have been here in like 7 years and the reds play over 100 games a year. Plus any time they give away those stupid bobble heads mass people show up

I bet there were more than you think. Take mom to a baseball game the night before Mother's Day, record free UFC event & watch later.

Everyone took their wives and mothers to see the movie Mom's Night Out

You can blame it on economy, Reds Games, Festivals, etc....fact is, you didn't have a large attendance because most casual fans didn't know who Silva or Brown was, and plus it was free on TV.

I went to UFC 77 in 2007, and the building that night was near capacity, at least 12-14K showed. But, this was probably because you had the home town hero, Rich Franklin, fighting the most dominant fighter in the organization at that time, Anderson Silva, for the title.

Plus, the UFC had just had one of it's most successful cards all-time, in UFC 68 at Columbus, just 7 months prior, so you probably got a lot of fans for the Cincinnati card, hoping to repeat the atmosphere/fights that they had previously seen in Columbus. Needless to say, UFC 77 was one of the worst cards overall that anyone had to sit through and watch, so I would think that hurt the gate for a free card, with lesser known fighters to the casual fan.

I agree that seeing the Reds have a chance to pull to two games under 500 in the first quarter of the season probably didn't have anything to do it. And most MMA fans probably aren't choosing like a blueberry festival over a UFC event. But the economy and the smoking bans definitely hurts when you can watch it at home for free.

I personally rarely go to live events any more that are televised because I like watching from the comfort of my home where I think it's normally a better view. Being able to see the replays and hear commentary. Smoke and use the bathroom when I want. And while i have the money to spend, just in general principle I rarely feel like shelling out $100-150 by the time you are done with the ticket, parking, food, gas, watered down beer, etc just to enjoy myself less than I would at home. The cigarette ban alone would probably be deterrent enough.

I love the UFC and Brown and i wouldn't have gone if I lived in Cincinnati. Especially when I had no clue how good the other fights were going to be. I'm sure some of it was star power. But I think more and more with poor economies and skyrocketing parking and concession prices and smoking bans, etc that people less and less people are going to live events. The big ones you have the celebrities and corporations buying up huge chunks of tickets. But I think fans in general go to less live events these days. Especially the more expensive ones. The baseball games about one of the few things left someone can do on the cheap. Maybe I am wrong but that's how it is with almost everyone i know personally.

I agree that seeing the Reds have a chance to pull to two games under 500 in the first quarter of the season probably didn't have anything to do it. And most MMA fans probably aren't choosing like a blueberry festival over a UFC event. But the economy and the smoking bans definitely hurts when you can watch it at home for free.

I personally rarely go to live events any more that are televised because I like watching from the comfort of my home where I think it's normally a better view. Being able to see the replays and hear commentary. Smoke and use the bathroom when I want. And while i have the money to spend, just in general principle I rarely feel like shelling out $100-150 by the time you are done with the ticket, parking, food, gas, watered down beer, etc just to enjoy myself less than I would at home. The cigarette ban alone would probably be deterrent enough.

I love the UFC and Brown and i wouldn't have gone if I lived in Cincinnati. Especially when I had no clue how good the other fights were going to be. I'm sure some of it was star power. But I think more and more with poor economies and skyrocketing parking and concession prices and smoking bans, etc that people less and less people are going to live events. The big ones you have the celebrities and corporations buying up huge chunks of tickets. But I think fans in general go to less live events these days. Especially the more expensive ones. The baseball games about one of the few things left someone can do on the cheap. Maybe I am wrong but that's how it is with almost everyone i know personally.

The smoking ban truly does hurt live events now. I know you can't have everyone just lighting up because of obvious health concerns for the non-smokers. The fact there isn't even designated smoking areas is a huge deterrent.

The smoking ban truly does hurt live events now. I know you can't have everyone just lighting up because of obvious health concerns for the non-smokers. The fact there isn't even designated smoking areas is a huge deterrent.

Yeah it has gotten out of control now. I am obviously a smoker and have no problem with it being banned in 99% of the public places. But to not even allow for a designated smoking area is just ridiculous. The bans have crippled a ton of bars as well. Most people can go 4-5 hours without smoking if they have to but it simply isn't enjoyable. Especially when you are doing things like drinking or eating or being out at an event (all things that people smoke more during than they normally would). It would be like telling non-smokers you can't use the bathroom for 4-5 hours. They could probably do it but people tend not to want to pay for the 'privilege' of the restriction. The bans hurt way more than a lot of people realize.

You were allowed to smoke in arenas. Smoking has been banned in doors here since the 90's. You can't even smoke in Bars, hell even in outdoor stadiums it's banned. I'm shocked when restaurants have smoking sections when traveling.

You were allowed to smoke in arenas. Smoking has been banned in doors here since the 90's. You can't even smoke in Bars, hell even in outdoor stadiums it's banned. I'm shocked when restaurants have smoking sections when traveling.

Yes having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. At least you're only at a restaurant for an hour or so & you can walk out & re-enter if you do choose to go outside & smoke. Now they're even trying to ban e-cigarettes!

There was also a Cincinnati Reds game going on at the same time as well as quite a few festivals in the area. It didn't start filling up until after the Reds game has ended.

The Reds game shouldn't matter in the least, especially this early in the baseball season. And in baseball, there is usually 2-3 home games in a row not to mention well over 100 games a season.

UFC only comes to town every few years in most markets.

Im sure its the high prices. WWE can sell out a arena every week but they only charge $12-50 for a raw show. So it comes down to how would ufc make more money. Selling less more expensive or more cheaper.

Even worse, take a look at the arena chart for UFC 173 in two weeks at MGM Grand. Looks like there are literally about 3000 tickets sold. There are first row tickets available in many sections.

Vegas is never a good example to use.

Im sure its the high prices. WWE can sell out a arena every week but they only charge $12-50 for a raw show. So it comes down to how would ufc make more money. Selling less more expensive or more cheaper.

lol they hardly sell out arenas every week (SD always has top sections blocked off, TV side always blocked off), tickets are way more than 50 bucks for the TV events, and the gate is less important when you run as many live shows as they do.

Vegas is never a good example to use.

Why? Are you saying Vegas typically draws small crowds, or that because its Vegas, it doesn't matter how many tickets are sold because they'll fill up the place regardless. I'm a bit worried that when I show up for the UFC 173 curtain jerker, I might be all alone in there.

Why? Are you saying Vegas typically draws small crowds, or that because its Vegas, it doesn't matter how many tickets are sold because they'll fill up the place regardless. I'm a bit worried that when I show up for the UFC 173 curtain jerker, I might be all alone in there.

Vegas crowds are just not the same as the spot shows in other towns the UFC doesn't usually go to. Ticket comps, higher prices, tourist fans, etc etc.

If you go for the first fight, yes you probably will be the only person there.

Only reason i watched the last two fights was because i was hungry after getting home from work. Otherwise i would of been on the computer.

While the main event was entertaining it still had its downsides.

Back