UFC Fight Night 40: crappy attendance of 6k in a 17k venue

Good. Hope this will encourage fewer but better cards.

hell yes!! Anyone know why they haven't been to Amsterdam? Would be a huge event there

For now Dutch law does not allow cage-fighting. It's even hard to get any kind of a big combat-sports event organised in the Netherlands. Glory also got some difficulties to overcome to have a big event in Amsterdam (but let's say: "work in progress")

Thats about what all fight nights do, in that 6-8k range. They even used to do that years ago when mma was at its peak and they had less cards.

2010 UFC on Versus 6500 tickets sold
Florian/Gomi fight night 7700

Look at the fight nights in 2010/14 they are all in that 6k to 9k range.

The smoking ban truly does hurt live events now. I know you can't have everyone just lighting up because of obvious health concerns for the non-smokers. The fact there isn't even designated smoking areas is a huge deterrent.

HA! what type of trailer trash addicts you got in that state?
Cant go a few hours without tarring up your lungs?
We've had a smoking ban for 20 years in California and it worked out just fine
Proves were better than you imo

The ticket cost ($90-180) and the Reds game priced out any possible casuals. However, the 6200 that did show up made for a great crowd. I'm still hoarse.

Doesn't matter.

Next time it's gonna be full.

probably because decent seats cost like $400 dollars, I was looking at tickets in vegas and the cheapest tickets I saw were 200!

hell yes!! Anyone know why they haven't been to Amsterdam? Would be a huge event there

Because fighters would start failing drug tests for just walking pass the wrong places, hah

They should have came to Columbus instead

Attendance probably would have been better. 8-10000 maybe

Even worse, take a look at the arena chart for UFC 173 in two weeks at MGM Grand. Looks like there are literally about 3000 tickets sold. There are first row tickets available in many sections.

Events almost every week and the tickets are really pricey, it's not that weird. I bet when they go to Berlin they'll easily do 10000.

The Reds game shouldn't matter in the least, especially this early in the baseball season. And in baseball, there is usually 2-3 home games in a row not to mention well over 100 games a season.

UFC only comes to town every few years in most markets.

The reds do matter here, Cincy is a baseball town. But honestly it was the lack of promotion in the city and for casual fans just about zero star power.

Most people didn't even know there was a ufc in town and even more had no idea who silva or brown was. I was at the bar and given two free tickets and didn't go, because I was hammered drunk and we were celebrating my friends wedding, I wanted to go but I was the best man and that would be a pretty dick move.

I would definitely blame lack of star power as the number one reason plus it was free on tv.

Wow what a d bag thing to say. When people say they don't post on sherdog anymore because it's full of shithead kids know that your one of the reasons.

Elitest.

It looks like UFC Fight Nights are n't really popular this year:

Only Gus his event in London (UFC FN 37) did decent gate numbers. On a side note: some venues of this list are not that big like the US Bank Arena

Abu Dhabi did a 1.8 million gate. Minor fight night cards have never really had good consistency ever in terms of a gate. They are smaller shows.

Been saying it for over a year now. More and more people are starting to give a shit less about the UFC.

Dana's bullshit + FightPass + PPV prices + watered down cards + shit marketing = dwindling numbers.

That seems bad...
People missed a damn good card. I would love to have been there.

Back