UFC Co-Founder Releases Original Rules List

ALAN PARTRIDGE

NO LONGER REGISTERED
@Steel
Reaction score
Co-founder of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Campbell McLaren, took to Twitter (via Fox Sports ) to post the official rules list for the first-ever event, which took place on Nov. 12, 1993 in Denver, Colorado. Interestingly enough, rule No. 1 is actually still in place today for championship fights. Thankfully, the rest of the rules and regulations have been updated over the last 20 years.

BnmpJEbIcAE-0IE_jpg_large.jpg

I am confused. There were no rounds back then

If I recall correctly, the only two rules were no eye gouging and no fishhooking.

edit: Nut punching was allowed though

Last edited:
I confused. There were no rounds back then

If I recall correctly, the only two rules were no eye gouging and no fishhooking.
You're not confused. you just happen to believe everything you've been told.

UFC 1 most certainly had rounds. all of the fights ended in under 5 minutes.

in ufc 2 they removed the rounds.

huh. guess i'll have to watch it again.

I thought it was common knowledge that the whole "THERE ARE NO RULES" was blatant rhetoric, when there were in fact a ton of rules -- including rounds.

they had a standard 10 count ko! Interesting.

I never knew that, guess will have to re-watch sometime

thanks for info

I am confused. There were no rounds back then

edit: Nut punching was allowed though

THIS^

The good'ol days...lol....I feel old...

Art Jimmerson sent me a copy of his contract a couple of years ago. He sells copies on ebay if anyones interested

Does "original rules" mean the VERY FIRST set of rules drawn up for the event, which were later altered before the event was held, or that these were the rules actually in place for the first event?

These may have been proposed rules but certainly they were not all in effect. For instance the Octagon was used and featured in UFC one. There was no mention in the video of rounds or a time limit of any sort so I don't think that was in effect.

You might be right. I saw UFC 2 live and I know it did NOT have rounds. Hell, I still have the VHS I used to record it

Yeah they removed the rounds cause they thought there was no point having them since all the fights were finishing early. Once people learnt sub defence that changed obviously.

Also groin shots got allowed for UFC 2 in response to people saying they could have beaten Royce if they could punt him in the nuts. The below GIF was the catalyst for banning them again:

joe-son-punched-o.gif

Back