UFC Change of Stance on out of Competition testing Linked to Jones

A professional athlete, on forbes, lhw champ...

Lots of kids looked up to Jones. Youre right, fight fans are becoming more interested in the personal lives of fighters, but that's because it's becoming more of a professional, organized league. More and more casual fans are following and investing time in the ufc. I am just saying its a double standard... We can all argue that there should be a boundary between public and private life. However, there isn't. Think of the countless number of stars in other sports who have had reputations ruined due to their personal lives. Was just sayin that a good way to avoid this situation is to clearly keep your nose clean

There's plenty of examples that go either way... Charles Barkley famously said that he wasn't a role model, and now is successful on TV and I think he even ran for Governor in Alabama... Oscar De la Hoya, Ricky Hatton, that guy that threw a perfect game while he was tripping on acid...

I think it's safe to say that drug addicts get run out of leagues, just like they get run out of other less glamorous jobs... But when it comes to someone in the prime of their life partying, I don't see it as much of a problem...

We don't seem as bothered when athletes sleep around and end up with a dozen children from 10 different woman, if anything we make tongue in cheek jokes about it like with Cromartie when he was on the Jets

So society (i'm not trying to lump you into this group but just get this off my chest) says, it's ok to father children and leave broken families across the nation, but you're evil because you smoked a joint or did some drugs?

I've wrote it in other threads today, but to send some dope dealer to prison for 15-20 while a convicted rapist gets 7 illustrates exactly where our priorities lie as far as crime and punishment are concerned. Since it's inception in the 80s, the war on drugs has become it's own monster. To the point where it has created so many jobs in the law enforcement field and built a massive prison guard union that it's making it impossible to make any lasting changes... These people literally lobby for stiffer sentences and harsher rules because trading a persons freedom as a commodity offers them better job security.

poor cung le. integrity tarnished over some bs, while jones is so pumped full of coke that his toes literally fall of during bouts and dana gives him a pat on the back

d91.gif

Coke isn't a banned substance in out of competition testing. The commission can't do shit.

There's plenty of examples that go either way... Charles Barkley famously said that he wasn't a role model, and now is successful on TV and I think he even ran for Governor in Alabama... Oscar De la Hoya, Ricky Hatton, that guy that threw a perfect game while he was tripping on acid...

I think it's safe to say that drug addicts get run out of leagues, just like they get run out of other less glamorous jobs... But when it comes to someone in the prime of their life partying, I don't see it as much of a problem...

We don't seem as bothered when athletes sleep around and end up with a dozen children from 10 different woman, if anything we make tongue in cheek jokes about it like with Cromartie when he was on the Jets

So society (i'm not trying to lump you into this group but just get this off my chest) says, it's ok to father children and leave broken families across the nation, but you're evil because you smoked a joint or did some drugs?

I've wrote it in other threads today, but to send some dope dealer to prison for 15-20 while a convicted rapist gets 7 illustrates exactly where our priorities lie as far as crime and punishment are concerned. Since it's inception in the 80s, the war on drugs has become it's own monster. To the point where it has created so many jobs in the law enforcement field and built a massive prison guard union that it's making it impossible to make any lasting changes... These people literally lobby for stiffer sentences and harsher rules because trading a persons freedom as a commodity offers them better job security.

Fair enough. It's just that anything you do in your personal life can be made public so easily these days. As a school teacher I can be held accountable for my actions outside of my school life (per my Union code). All the publicity surrounding this current event comes with the territory. I would be making the same point if Jones was busted for something else as well. I'm a Vitor fan even though he has a shady history in the sport.

poor cung le. integrity tarnished over some bs, while jones is so pumped full of coke that his toes literally fall of during bouts and dana gives him a pat on the back

Good point.

Doesn't change the fact that he is a hypocrite ass bandit who snitched on his peers for drug use during high school.

Coke isn't a banned substance in out of competition testing. The commission can't do shit.

Thus why the UFC handing all testing and Banning to the commission = Jones not getting any suspension. One of the Fertittas was the commissioner for the NSAC so they know how to wash the hands.

I'm just glad the UFC "applauded" his decision to go to REHAB. he probably got a bonus for it too.

Didn't Dana recently come out and announce the UFC was no longer getting involved in drug-testing, fullstop?

Distancing themselves from the news they knew would break very soon?

This has been handled so sketchily by them, it's unreal.

According to Brett Okamoto legally Jon Jones will not have to vacate the belt or get a no decision. Because cocaine is not a year round ban substance. He was found to have traces of cocaine in december. And apparently it is not within the range of being handed a no decision.

PEDs are different since they are year round banned substances.

I think I remember Matt Riddle got caught within 2 weeks of a fight for marijuana. I think Dana White said in a interview that if he had done it 3 or 4 weeks before it might have been okay or something. I am not quite sure the dates but there is a timeframe that will not be punishable.

Maybe Jones does not have a serious addiction to coke. He probably went to rehab to for publicity.

I'll agree the timing is a little sketchy, but this is the right move for them with or without the Jones debacle. This stuff should be arms-length. I wont shit on them for getting it right regardless of their motives.

Good maybe will see more of the magic juice and get some healthier and better fights!

Back