• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News UFC can supposedly take a percentage of a business a fighter starts while under UFC contract.

R.5b8b6ed313f4fcfb283b99ac7486ac5e
giphy.gif

Independent contractors, just an opportunity, you can't have sponsors, UFC are just showing even more how they want allllllllllllllllllllllllll the money, and none of the fighters to have any.

This level of greed is fucking insane, millions of dollars isn't enough, gotta take even more to compete with the mega yachts that billionaires have.

Assuming this is indeed true, I could imagine some fighters thinking: "atleast it's still extra income that I didn't have before." - regardless of the cut the UFC takes.

Same with taxes: I'd be happy if I had to pay millions in taxes, because it usually or basically means that you earned a lot of money beforehand to have to pay such high taxes.

On the other hand: I'm an average joe and an employee so yeah, absolutely not a finance expert. Don't take my strange way of thinking as some sort of truth. I might be totally wrong and even offend some of our fellow Sherdog entrepeneurs with my poor mans thinking.

Yeah, there's no way this is true.
Yeah I don't believe this at all, there is no way in hell the UFC can legally take a percentage of a fighters business that is in no way shape or form related to the UFC. These guys are
independent contractors and this would be the same as any other contractor working for any other company and them putting into the contract that they can take a percentage of any other business you might start, under fair work commissions or whatever it is in the states this would be highly illegal.

Reactions: MGS
Doubt they can legally own part of the business, but they can for sure set a minimum percentage of the earnings

It sounds to me like it's anything the fighter makes money on that uses the UFC brand. But it is vague, probably by design.

Here's the actual clause in the contract.:

Ya that's some serious lawyerese right there. It was much cleaner when they just kept likeness rights in perpetuity (many sources including the infamous Eddie Alvarez contract that was made public).

But it does seem to me - Not A Lawyer - to be limited to Zuffa content, or Zuffa marketing.

So my guess is that O'Malley can open a "O'Malley Cannabis" store just fine, but if he opened a "O'Malley - UFC Champion Cannabis" store, he would have to pay. But I flunked out of pre-law, so....

Last edited:
If a business offers you a contract, and you sign the contract because you want it, the only thing that could be "illegal" in the contract would be a provision requiring either party to violate law.

Fighters are adults. Some of them want to compete in the UFC because it is an opportunity to make money. So they sign a contract offered by the UFC.

I imagine if various uninformed emotionally upset social-justice couch posherbros managed to interfere with a fighter attempting to sign a UFC contract, the fighter would be happy to take those posherbros out back and punch their small penises so hard so many times that the posherbors became transvestites.

Because, like, the fighter doesn't care what the posherbros think and doesn't need or want their opinion or their interference. What the fighter wants is to sign the contract so that he or she can take advantage of the opportunity.

Back