UFC Boxing Edition Version 3

I think 250,000 is probably in the upper reaches of what I expected myself. I figured there'd be a very real chance that it did less than 200,000 considering how little drawing power the two main event fighters have shown so far and how that fight basically received no support at all in regards to selling PPVs.

I figured somewhere between 200 and 300K but more near 200K in reality. Lawler never caught on the way he should have unfortunately. More of a hardcore fan's fighter.

I figured somewhere between 200 and 300K but more near 200K in reality. Lawler never caught on the way he should have unfortunately. More of a hardcore fan's fighter.

You can blame the UFC's stale marketing practices for that.

You can blame the UFC's stale marketing practices for that.

Well he was placed in a bad spot, right in between UFC 200 and 202. Most people already bought 200 and weren't gonna shell out another 60 bucks in the same month for another ppv. They just saved their money for 202 coming up.

Well he was placed in a bad spot, right in between UFC 200 and 202. Most people already bought 200 and weren't gonna shell out another 60 bucks in the same month for another ppv. They just saved their money for 202 coming up.

Yeah, the scheduling of the event and where it fell into things probably hurt the sales a little.

What I meant with my last post is that Lawler gets hurt just because the UFC markets a ton of their fighters like they fight like Lawler routinely does. If listening to UFC marketing they have tons of guys who have strong possibilities to put of fight of the year candidates every time they step foot inside the cage, which in turn does a disservice to someone like Lawler who has proven himself capable of that time and time again. He's not being marketed as unique compared to other fighters even though his style and the fights he's involved in are fairly unique in the sport.

Yeah, the scheduling of the event and where it fell into things probably hurt the sales a little.

What I meant with my last post is that Lawler gets hurt just because the UFC markets a ton of their fighters like they fight like Lawler routinely does. If listening to UFC marketing they have tons of guys who have strong possibilities to put of fight of the year candidates every time they step foot inside the cage, which in turn does a disservice to someone like Lawler who has proven himself capable of that time and time again. He's not being marketed as unique compared to other fighters even though his style and the fights he's involved in are fairly unique in the sport.

I don't hear that very often, often times they will say this is a fight of the night type but you don't hear fight of the year thrown around that much. Even Conor vs Nate it hasn't been used and I think that has a high probability of being that type of fight. They sent him on local media tours and tried to market him as an exciting, savage type of fighter which he is. He doesn't have the greatest personality to sell fights though so that doesn't help much.

I don't hear that very often, often times they will say this is a fight of the night type but you don't hear fight of the year thrown around that much. Even Conor vs Nate it hasn't been used and I think that has a high probability of being that type of fight. They sent him on local media tours and tried to market him as an exciting, savage type of fighter which he is. He doesn't have the greatest personality to sell fights though so that doesn't help much.

See, I think that's a mistake with Lawler as well. We've seen guys in the past who barely said two words who became big stars for the UFC. e.g. Chuck Liddell. Granted Liddell also had a unique look to him too to go along with a crowd pleasing style and then the opponents to help sell him. But they could have sold Lawler as something similar instead of forcing him to try to verbally promote himself and his fights. If Lawler is the strong silent type that wants to bust somebody else's face and doesn't care if his own face gets busted in the process then sell him as such. Keep him away from a mic if he doesn't have the natural charisma do sell himself that way. Let him be as silent as possible. Sell him as a quiet and mysterious type that fucks people up for a living.

See, I think that's a mistake with Lawler as well. We've seen guys in the past who barely said two words who became big stars for the UFC. e.g. Chuck Liddell. Granted Liddell also had a unique look to him too to go along with a crowd pleasing style and then the opponents to help sell him. But they could have sold Lawler as something similar instead of forcing him to try to verbally promote himself and his fights. If Lawler is the strong silent type that wants to bust somebody else's face and doesn't care if his own face gets busted in the process then sell him as such. Keep him away from a mic if he doesn't have the natural charisma do sell himself that way. Let him be as silent as possible. Sell him as a quiet and mysterious type that fucks people up for a living.

I don't think they tried to make him sell himself, they just tried to advertise him as an exciting, blood and guts type fighter. I'm not sure what else you could really sell him as. I'm not marketing genius though.

I don't think they tried to make him sell himself, they just tried to advertise him as an exciting, blood and guts type fighter. I'm not sure what else you could really sell him as. I'm not marketing genius though.

As they do a lot of guys who have come no where close to proving it like Lawler has.

And being unique sells. Having something that sets you apart from everybody else is what attracts the PPV buyer to the product. That's been proven time and time again regardless if it's in boxing or MMA. Whether it be your skillset, your fighting style, your physical appearance, your personality, etc., etc., you pretty much need something that sets you apart from the rest. Don't need to be a marketing genius to see that, my friend.

Lawler had both a fighting style (or more accurately, what resulted from that style) and a personality that both could have been sold as being unique to Lawler alone. But it wasn't, thus he could never break through as a PPV star.

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-6_11-15-12.gif
    upload_2016-8-6_11-15-12.gif
    44 bytes · Views: 0
    75 bytes · Views: 0
    46 bytes · Views: 3
    76 bytes · Views: 0
    73 bytes · Views: 0
5-0 pro boxer justin ledet just looked fantastic in his UFC debut. definitely puts his hat in the mix for best jab in the ufc.

Classy move by David Teymur. He could have given him an H-bomb there.

Looks like Canadians won't be buying UFC 202 and will have something a hell of a lot more important to watch that evening.

Looks like Canadians won't be buying UFC 202 and will have something a hell of a lot more important to watch that evening.
please tell me you aren't talking about the tragically hip.

there are already stories out that scalpers are having to sell all their tickets they bought up at BELOW face value.

please tell me you aren't talking about the tragically hip.

there are already stories out that scalpers are having to sell all their tickets they bought up at BELOW face value.

Of course I'm talking about The Hip. And no, after doing a quick search at some secondary ticket sites, their final concert ever in their hometown is not going for anything close to face value. The cheapest ticket I could find on the secondary market during my search was $497 with most tickets I've seen going for well over $1000.

I'm not going to call your claim as being untruthful, but if there is truth in what you say regarding below market value then that probably has to do with the circumstances/timing of them being sold more than anything. i.e. Those tickets were for concerts that already happened and were sold at the last minute as the scalpers were just looking to get rid of whatever they had. Something is better than nothing for them. Stuff like that happens at pretty much every big event no matter the pre-event demand for tickets to them.

The Hip's final concert is going to be a friggin huge event for Canadians, and we'll be seeing the broadcast pull in television numbers that will rival all but the very biggest sporting events of recent years and even exceed some of those. The Hip's final concert is also going to squash the overall interest levels of any other concert they've done on this tour as well. It's their final one and it's Canadians last chance to see and say goodbye to Gordie after almost three decades of him performing for us.

Alan Cross reported that they were going for below face value on the radio.

Alan Cross reported that they were going for below face value on the radio.

Okay. I have no idea who that is nor do I have any reason to believe him either if that is what he said. My own quick research, which I can believe since I saw it with my own two eyes, says something completely otherwise.

Back