• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC and their ability to "let guys go"

The UFC tried hard to re-sign Mousassi. I believe they even offered him Rockhold on a PPV who was ranked #2 at the time.
Yes. They offered him less money than he wanted, and he offered to take Luke instead of a title shot. UFC didn’t increase the $.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/gegard-mousasi/gegard-mousasi-says-ufc-contract-negotiations-not-good/?amp

So he signed with Bellator, who he admitted only matched the UFC offer, but he felt treated him with more honesty and integrity.

So they did offer him something. Not sure if “tried hard” is the right phrase though.

Last edited:
The UFC should keep everyone on forever.

How dare they take bread from the table of the fighters, without whom there would be no fighting championship.

Moreover, what difference does it make if a guy is any good at fighting or not? Anyone would think this was some kind of “ultimate” fighting championship

Seems like the UFC is great at letting guys go who you thought they shouldn't. I'm too drunk to care right now but Pettis was one. Not saying he was a huge loss but losing to Collard was bad. Name others because there is a few. Rory was a bad loss IMO.

it almost like belaltor releases fighters an boxers get released an nobody cares so why is it the ufc cuts someon an it a problem

I think they saw something in Yoel's medicals that scared them off. The cut wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Yeah, I just saw the post on his left eye. We do not know all the reasons why someone leaves . Maybe the fighter wants it to be private ?

Yeah, I just saw the post on his left eye. We do not know all the reasons why someone leaves . Maybe the fighter wants it to be private ?
That and the fact that he wasn't cleared to fight Rumble lead me to believe that the UFC was aware of the medical issues before they let him go. It could have been mutual or just the UFC protecting themselves against a potential lawsuit

Mighty Mouse, Bader, Mousasi, Rory, Okami, Lineker, Eddie, Corey, Horiguchi, Davis. these guys were still top 10 when they left the UFC.

I think its important to have options. Ufc is clearly the big leagues but a monopoly is not the answer

I just recently found out Antonio Carlos "shoeface" Junior was let go and fighting for PFL. I know he had a 3 fight losing skid but its not like he was fighting bums and was always a tough challenge for whoever he was fighting.
The thing is though,he has a job somewhere else,and he can fight his way back in. UFC doesnt need to "save" every fighter working for them. Sometimes they do,sometimes they dont.

It looks as tho his body can no longer compete. He’s probably still a killer but there’s a reason he can’t pass medical and I have to assume ufc knows why and ufc saw the writing...
Its that and him shitting the bed against Izzy. They expected a Romero/Costa performance.

Reactions: Yep
I get your point tbh, it always seems like they release someone and then they either fall into obscurity or lose in other promotions. However, it's rare that I think it was an unwarranted release. The last time people were up in arms about a release was when they released (or didn't re-sign) Overeem and JDS.

But would you really be surprised if Overeem and JDS fought in another promotion and lost at this point in their careers? It's shocking because they're huge names in the sport but people need to take a step back and look at where they're at in their careers. The UFC looks cool when they do it because people are too focused on the name... that's Alistair Overeem, that's Junior dos Santos, that's Anthony Pettis... you're really gonna release them/let them go?

In hindsight, Collard beating Pettis wasn't really surprising. Collard's improved a lot since his UFC stint and has actually made a small name for himself in boxing beating a few undefeated fighters. He's fighting a past prime Pettis, who's always been a striker. Pettis is the name in MMA so he's expected to win, but going into that fight, you would be crazy to think it would be an easy win for him. Collard can probably box up plenty of guys in the UFC right now. We'll see how he does against a PFL lay n pray-er though.

Most of the time, they release guys who are old or past their primes. So it's to be expected that they lose and the UFC's decision in releasing them is validated. Jon Fitch is a good example though. Similar to Pettis, his first fight outside of the UFC in PFL (WSOF at the time), he lost. He still ended up finding success outside of the UFC and didn't fall into obscurity, I think that mostly applies to lower-level guys. But people were outraged at his release at the time because he was still a top guy, but... is the UFC really missing out on a lot in releasing him? No. One fighter isn't going to make or break the UFC. They released Fitch because of his boring style and you could see a pattern in the fighting styles of the guys they release. Exciting guys get more chances, grapplers have a shorter leash. Fitch happened to lose when they let him go, so that may be the best example of what you're talking about when it comes to the UFC being "right" when everyone was outraged and it seemed like the wrong decision.

I think another important point to bring up is the skill gap isn't as large as people think between fighters in the UFC and other promotions, and that also could be a reason why freshly released UFC fighters lose when they fight elsewhere. Of course, the UFC has the best fighters in the world and it's not debatable. But plenty of fighters in other promotions could win fights in the UFC. If you think a random Contender Series guy is better than someone like Adriano Moraes (who recently beat Mighty Mouse in ONE) or some random Russian on the next ACA card just because that Contender Series guy is in the UFC, then you're just plain dumb. We're way past that point when it was very clear that UFC fighters were vastly superior to fighters in other promotions. Keep in mind, we're not talking about the tip top fighters, because these guys typically don't get released. Yoel Romero was released, he's in his 40s and coming off a 3 fight losing streak... but these losses are to arguably the top 3 fighters in his division. So he's still a top fighter, right? Well he's been losing, so we ultimately don't know what level he's at right now. Is he still a top guy? Would it really be surprising if he lost in Bellator when he's fighting in the one Bellator division that some people argue could rival the UFCs? He's 44 years old. It's not like the UFC is releasing top guys that have a high upside. Fitch was coming off the worst stretch of his UFC career when they released him as well. So they are "good" at releasing guys at the right time, but it's also not a very challenging task when there are plenty of hints and these decisions essentially don't impact their business much at all.

Yes. They offered him less money than he wanted, and he offered to take Luke instead of a title shot. UFC didn’t increase the $.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/gegard-mousasi/gegard-mousasi-says-ufc-contract-negotiations-not-good/?amp

So he signed with Bellator, who he admitted only matched the UFC offer, but he felt treated him with more honesty and integrity.

So they did offer him something. Not sure if “tried hard” is the right phrase though.
They did offer more money. The fact of the matter is Mousasi just didn’t want to be there. His biggest reason he stated was more “freedom” in Bellator. The ufc matched Bellator, offered a fight that would have put him next in line for a title shot, and then increased their offer. To the extent that they didn’t make the same attempts with other free agents they let walk, I think they made a solid effort to keep him on the roster. Of course they could have made a bigger offer Mousasi couldn’t turn down, but that’s not WME’s M.O.

““They made an offer,” he said. “They wanted to go up even more, but by the time that happened, they knew I was going to Bellator. The UFC treated me well. I have a good relationship with [UFC President] Dana White.”

https://m.sherdog.com/news/news/Geg...ctor-in-Choosing-Bellator-MMA-Over-UFC-124585

Back