Ufc 71 main event. Do you remeber where you were?

19 at the time. My wrestling teammates and some friends were over at my place and pitched in to order the fight. A bunch of noobish peeps kept going on and on about the first fight being a fluke and how guys from PRIDE weren't as good.

Funny story I had actually met Rampage a year earlier at a weigh in event and asked when he was coming to the UFC and said something was being worked out with them and a year later the fight happened. Rampage only had a small number of people asking for autographs and pictures compared to GSP and Hughes who were the main event.

At the time for whatever reason I thought that it would be a much different fight in a cage than in a ring.
Chuck got beat up on the ground in the first fight

I would have never said it at the time but now when you look back... Rampage just had better boxing. he had great defense also. Rampage was by far the best boxer Chuck had ever faced.
He faced Overeem but he hadn't become the lethal killing machine on the feet that he would become ...Chuck amazing as he was. Faced many a grappler..

I guess you could argue Vitor was better. But Rampage was deadly

In retrospect, it almost seemed to me that Liddell lost to pretty much everyone I saw him fight that wanted to stand with him, and feasted on the grapplers who couldn’t either get or keep him down. I’m a TUF noob, though, so I missed much of his early career.

As for that night, I was probably at my local Hooters, which has long since gone out of business.

Damn! Your dad came through in the clutch!!!!
I actually hadn't thought about that story in a while. Good thread lol

Now my Dad is gone, his friend from the story passed a year later and UFC fucking sucks! life was sure sweeter at 16 lmao

I was having some good sex with a girl that i loved.

Don’t remember my age but watched it in my apartment with a couple friends.

I was pretty confident Rampage would win. I’d watched him in pride and watched chuck as well Who I’d always felt had a bit of overrated stand up. Rampages boxing was far too slick for chuck. Outcome didn’t end up surprising me

I was 22. Im a chef and at the time was... college? No, I was working in Seattle. Missed it live. I think thats around the time I started following the UFC. Used to watch PRIDE live with my japanese bros. Fuckers had been watching for a long time and eventually dragged me in. Ironically none of them watch ot follow anymore at all.
Shit was tough with the 12h time difference. By the time the main fights were on, we were all zombies, passing out...

Good ole college days.... I watched that thing at a bar. I thought Rampage would win cause i watched pride regularly ( stayed awake overnight to watch live events from Japan lmao) and knew who he was and what he did to Chuck before. My buddehs called me crazy... Tufers.
Looking back , the hype around Chuck was fucking ridiculous and really justified. The man was on a fucking tear. That ko was the beginning of the end for Liddell.

Nice thread, Ts. I’m one nostalgic motherfucker.

I was about 22 at the time. I remember watching this but I couldn’t tell you where or who I was with. I remember just thinking that was it?! That punch is all it took to put the IceMan’s lights out?! I was underwhelmed.
I was 23 at the time and I'm still with the same girl just married now with a daughter . But I was a Tito fan so I could see rampage getting it done again . anyways and like a dreamer back then I thought Tito would get the belt back til around 08 then I knew he was done .

Then he had all the injuries and Jenna ruined his career more than the injuries if you ask me personally .

Good ole college days.... I watched that thing at a bar. I thought Rampage would win cause i watched pride regularly ( stayed awake overnight to watch live events from Japan lmao) and knew who he was and what he did to Chuck before. My buddehs called me crazy... Tufers.
Looking back , the hype around Chuck was fucking ridiculous and really justified. The man was on a fucking tear. That ko was the beginning of the end for Liddell.

Nice thread, Ts. I’m one nostalgic motherfucker.

40457643.jpg

This was back when a few of my friends were hardcore fans and many more were casuals. We either watched it at one of my bud's place or the bar; I can't remember exactly. Those were the days...

Last edited:
Fri, May 25, 2007

82f59fb8649155f40a1c5d6eae0a24f3089dc3c1.gif

UFC 71.... I was 17 years old.... Watching Wanderlei clips on youtube in my free time... and Chuck was already the UFC GOAT at the time IMO......

I had all my buddies over. The parents were out of town. Ordered a couple Pizzas. Had a nice 30 pack of the best beer you can get. Busch Light. Ordered the PPV without permission from my parents. Like an absolute boss.

Houston Alexander had just sent Jardine into orbit. I'm not sure if he actually ever landed

tumblr_m59pm11ilv1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

D3cqFMLXsAANDsf.jpg:large

We were pumped. Chuck Liddell was kind of invincible in most of our minds then. Though we all knew how good Rampage was and that he beat Chuck in Pride..... I am not sure his first fight in the UFC vs Marvin Eastman led any of us to believe he would beat Chuck. But Chuck floated that left hand. He left it hanging. And Rampage had an amazing shell defense. His boxing was the best it had ever been. He would have blocked that punch if it went to the head instead of the body. He rolled with it beautifully and countered with the cleanest right hook I have ever seen in my life. One of the first times I remembered being truly in awe from a fight outcome.

The Iceman wasn't invincible. Not even on the feet. And Rampage showed the giant hole in Chucks defense. He hung his hands. And that left hand didn't come up after he threw it.

82f59fb8649155f40a1c5d6eae0a24f3089dc3c1.gif

920x920.jpg
I remember where I was for every fight I have ever watched. A fight is an emotional experience that is burned in my mind...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back