UFC 284:Mahkachev vs Volkanovski PBP

3-2 Volkanovski.
Probably won’t get it though.

I'll go with a draw. Still think there is no shot Islam wins the decsion.

Islam 3-2 but Volk is an absolute beast.

I mean, 3-2 (Islam) was probably the right call, but man it made Islam look beatable.
Islam looked grateful to survive the 25, Volk looks like he wants another 25 to really settle it.

Islam Makhachev was -505 going into Round 5.

I had Islam up 3-1 going into Round 5, and either had Islam winning 3-2, or a DRAW. I didn't see a way for Alexander Volkanovski to win on the cards after it went to a decision. Great fight, though.

I knew it's gonna be a fire fight and a close one! I don't care that I lost some money!
And Volk is GOAT confirmed! I don't care that he lost. It was amazing fight!

I knew it's gonna be a fire fight and a close one! I don't care that I lost some money!
And Volk is GOAT confirmed! I don't care that he lost. It was amazing fight!
Yeah, that announcement after was ridiculous.
"Hey, the champ in a higher weight category barely survived against the guy a weight division below. That DEFINITELY makes him the PFP champ!"
If anything, it really proves he isn't lol.

Agreed. And khabibs chin seemed to be better than Islams.
Agreed. If Khabib had almost an entire round on Volks back he wouldn't have just sat there and prayed that the judges gave him the nod. He would have threatened with subs and GNP.

Agreed. And khabibs chin seemed to be better than Islams.

That's very true about the chin. Although Islam's offensive striking looked better than Khabib's ever did.

I'll go with a draw. Still think there is no shot Islam wins the decsion.
Islam won rounds 1,2 & 4. Volk won R2 & R5. Let's see here. 3 is more than 2 so Islam wins in my book.

That's very true about the chin. Although Islam's offensive striking looked better than Khabib's ever did.
Fair point. Islam's striking did look pretty sharp in this match.

Agreed. If Khabib had almost an entire round on Volks back he wouldn't have just sat there and prayed that the judges gave him the nod. He would have threatened with subs and GNP.

The issue is that Volk is just that good. If Islam would have started to threaten with a sub, Volk likely would use that opportunity to spin into his guard, or post and stand up. He did it once earlier.

I have a new respect for exactly how good Volk is. I already thought he was an all time great, but he's even better than I gave him credit for.

Yeah, that announcement after was ridiculous.
"Hey, the champ in a higher weight category barely survived against the guy a weight division below. That DEFINITELY makes him the PFP champ!"
If anything, it really proves he isn't lol.
I think Volk is still the pound for pound Champ. Does anyone really think if they fought at 150 that Islam would have won? I have Volk all day if they ever fight a true pound for pound match which is at 150.

Well, there were some boring snoozers in there, but overall it was a pretty fun card.
I came up ahead, but not by much. I'm gonna keep my eye on those "will they touch gloves" bets going forward haha.
Have a great weekend, Sherbros!

The issue is that Volk is just that good. If Islam would have started to threaten with a sub, Volk likely would use that opportunity to spin into his guard, or post and stand up. He did it once earlier.

I have a new respect for exactly how good Volk is. I already thought he was an all time great, but he's even better than I gave him credit for.
Same here. Volk is still the best pound for pound until Islam beats him in the middle at 150.

Still p4p champ imo.

Agree. Or the these two are just p4p co-champs. One weight class up win, but it's close and competitive throughout. It won't happen, but would be cool to see this fight again because I don't think anyone in the next couple years in either weight class has anything for either of these two.

Islam Makhachev was -505 going into Round 5.

I had Islam up 3-1 going into Round 5, and either had Islam winning 3-2, or a DRAW. I didn't see a way for Alexander Volkanovski to win on the cards after it went to a decision. Great fight, though.
Same here.

Back